Star Trek - Wednesday - $5.78 million

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Transformed Man, May 14, 2009.

1. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Re: Wednesday Box Office: 5.78 million

Sounds like good news to me, but I'm the eternal optimist, and tend to find something good in everything. :)

I'm going again tomorrow, and next week with my parents, who're coming over on a quick holiday. My sister and her boyfriend want to go see it for a third time and asked me if I wanted to go. That would be six times in two weeks.

Gah. I'm going to stop buying food.

2. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

You said that about the Monday or Tuesday number (or both?) too. :rolleyes:

3. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

A&D is getting better reviews than DaVinci Code (which had a 24% fresh on RottenTomatoes) and opened with $77 million on its way to $217 million.

A&D is likely to not do as well, but should still make somewhere in the $50 million range since the book is popular and the movie looks interesting.

4. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek - $5.78 million on Wednesday

Wow, you REALLY did not want a reboot.

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That'd be sweet but I doubt it. It's Tom Hanks. It'll be #1 no question about it.

That being said, I have no desire to see the fucking thing. I haven't read the book but I did read The DaVinci Code and while it was entertaining enough as a page-turner there wasn't much there as far as a lasting experience goes. Also, Ron Howard squandered what good will he had with me when he squatted over strip of celluloid and defecated profusely over it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was burned by the film adaptation.

So, I'm calling Angels and Demons at #1 with $55M and Star Trek At $37M.

6. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

That book made less sense than Da Vinci Code, personally I hope it bombs. If it got $50 million that'd give us room for $30-40 mil. That wouldn't be too shabby.

7. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

LOL What? Why are you not impressed with that number? Its numbers are in line with Iron Man.

8. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

I think Trek will make over $40 million... it's tracking in Iron Man range which made $49 million it's second weekend, so $40 million plus is not out of the question.

As for A&D there is absolutely no buzz for this film. Also, there is very little in the way of vocal outrage coming from religious groups (which gave the DaVinci Code a LOT of free publicity), and the fact the first movie wasn't particularly good probably spell a pretty weak opening ($45-52 million).

I think Trek will hold up just fine.
    Yancy

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed...i'm going to have to go and see it again and help them out a bit more.:techman:;)

10. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems to me (admittedly a non-expert) that it's all going to come down to this weekend. Weekends are the lifeblood of blockbusters and if it can do well and at least hold its own against A&D with a solid #2 spot (I don't think it will beat A&D) and earn at least 35 million, we've got to be happy.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you say so - this is better performance so far than the studio anticipated or that anyone had any grounds to expect.

If it drops 60 percent, then that must be what it deserves because it's got every opportunity to do better.

12. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

You've been consistently down on the film's box office performance so far - what would you have considered an impressive number?

The news looks consistently good to me. I agree Star Trek will be #2 to Angels and Demons but as I said yesterday, I expect it to have a strong second weekend. I've decided to take off work early and catch a matinee tomorrow, which will be the first chance I've had for a repeat viewing. Looking forward to it!

13. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Don't take this the wrong way, Similitude, but are you sure you name isn't Cassandra? ;)

It's fine, it's a good number for a Wednesday and in line what they expected.

14. USS Gettysburg

There is no empirical evidence to show that there is a bad trend in domestic numbers. In fact, it is following the natural pattern of movies of this type. Unless we see a much larger drop on Thursday or something unexpected there is no reason to call this bad news. Domestics have actually been stronger than expected. International numbers are where the real concerns are as they have been with other successful Star Trek films.

15. USS Gettysburg

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

that was asking too much. Tuesday and Wednesday are usually low-attendance day at the movie theatre and high-attendance days at work.

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I have this feeling that the weekend begins tomorrow, frankly.

The faithful out in droves tomorrow (call in sick Friday), the general public F-Su.

Don't think 50 million total for the next 4 days is unrealistic.

18. JonWes

JonWes Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, no one can argue with your opinion... no matter how wrong/ill-informed it might be. :)

19. TechnoBoY

TechnoBoY Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Might be no buzz for A&D but I see tons of commercials.

Inundated with commercials!

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

A&D has to make its money this week, because TS and NatM will blow it out of the water; ST I think will survive that, A&D won't.