Star Trek: Emissary

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Tosk, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The guys that did the amazing fan-made DS9 season teasers (and contributed graphics to the What We Left Behind documentary) are back with this beautiful What If ? (What if there was a new show that picked up after DS9 but dealt with multiple points in time?)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    oojason, Avro Arrow, FanST and 8 others like this.
  2. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Very cool!
    At first I didn't understand the concept and thought they were reimagining titles for the DS9 episode "Emissary" in the present day and was put off by the lack of DS9 musical theme. But on the second viewing I enjoyed it so much more. Really cool visuals. Would love Ira, Ron and Robert working together on Trek again.

Tosk likes this.
  3. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

That is beautiful work!

4. aquova

aquova Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is really superb. I will admit I didn't understand the connection between the beginning and DS9 until my second viewing.

However, I am still confused about the very start. There's an Excelsior(?) class ship crossing in front of the Moon. What is that in reference to? Everything following that is Sisko's early career.

It also really looks like T'Pol is one of the people at the very end on the left holding a phaser, but maybe I'm imagining things.

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

It could be a Doctor Who crossover.

6. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could it be the Okinawa?

somebuddyX likes this.
  7. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Both the Okinawa and Sisko's first posting, the Livingston, are sometimes identified as Excelsior-class in licensed media, but AFAICT neither have even been identified as such by anything higher in canonicity than the Encyclopedia.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I saw this video on Facebook. Absolutely fantastic work. Makes me wish it was an actual show (although the chances for that are pretty much zero since there’s little indication Avery Brooks will ever return to Star Trek.)

somebuddyX likes this.
  9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Sisko would not be the first character to be recast in the Star Trek franchise...

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

It's an Excelsior-class refit. Perhaps it's the USS Lakota?

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If your goal is to make a sequel to DS9 using the original actors, recasting the main character would not be your first choice. If Patrick Stewart had died or did not want to play Picard again, do you really think they would have used a different actor for Star Trek: Picard? No, they would not have.

12. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Well, maybe Daniel Stewart (Batai from The Inner Light, Patrick's son) if he could be persuaded depending on the story, but even that's a stretch.

13. Bad Thoughts

For the umpteenth time, Brooks has never said he would never return to Star Trek. According to Cirroc Lofton, he feels alienated from film and television in general. Conversely, Ira Steven Behr claims that Brooks contacted him about twelve years ago, inquiring about the possibility of doing more with Sisko.

ETA: if they really wanted Brooks back, it would have to be meaningful, not fan service. Outside of LDX, the franchise hasn't shown any interest in revisiting DS9, its stories, its characters, its settings, except in a perfunctory way. This approach would not encourage Brooks out of retirement.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no idea what this series would especially be about, but I very much want to see it after viewing that trailer.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That’s odd, because I was on the last Star Trek cruise where Ira Behr attended, and he said that Brooks has pretty much zero interest in returning as Sisko.

Tosk and Bad Thoughts like this.
  16. Bad Thoughts

OK, that's new. He was talking about Brooks' potential interest around the time he was fundraising for the documentary. His attitude must have changed.

I still think that Lofton's explanation is more salient: Brooks is done with Hollywood, whether or not it's Star Trek.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Oh, I’m not disagreeing with your opinion. I’m just reiterating what I heard from Behr himself.

18. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Why not? I like Stewart fine but he's not any more special than Shatner and Nimoy. A DS9 sequel would have to recast several major characters anyway. It's not going to look and feel just the same as seasons 1-7 no matter what.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There’s a huge difference between recasting Kirk and Spock with younger versions of themselves, and recasting Patrick Stewart with some other old guy playing an older version of Picard.

What do you think is more likely: that they would have replaced Patrick Stewart with someone else as Picard for ST: PIC, or just not make the show at all if Stewart didn’t want to do it?

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that Avery didn't even particularly want to stay for all seven years, but felt like it was important to honor a commitment.

kkt likes this.