SPOILERS!!! NEW AICN RUMORS (APRIL 30)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by indranee, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I like Cumberbatch and think he's a pretty fantastic actor, I really wasn't sure about him being cast in Star Trek. Now that He's supposed to be Khan, I dislike it even more. If there's a twist and he's not Montalban's Khan, then I might accept it. Still buying the figure when it comes out, though :rommie:

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Sybok was a great example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

3. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the best thing I've seen all week. :drool:

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

Nero had the power to change Sulu from Japanese to Korean.

It's MAGIC NERO POWER.

Changing Khan to Cumberbatch is just more Nero magic.

It's all in a day's work.

( Personally, I wouldn't mind if they changed the history of the Eugenics Wars, and not as an indication of a preexisting timeline or anything like that, just as a concession to the reality that no freaking Eugenics Wars happened in 1996. )

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Abrams has pleased the vast majority of long-time Trek fans, changing direction in hopes of satisfying the remaining small minority is neither necessary or advisable.

6. Trekkie2

Trekkie2 Commander Red Shirt

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, it sure is.

btw, I like your .sig, Legion. :techman:

8. indranee

Yeah, but did Bob Orci come on and say anything?

9. Trekkie2

They're (Paramount, Abrams & Co.) neither confirming or denying...but....this is what Orci posted in response to another

Poster: I bet Bob Orci is sitting in his chair having a good laugh at all of us.

Orci: No,no. I am commiserating.

I did have a thought. If Khan is stark raving white now, with western features, I wonder what the hell the Klingons are going to look like?

10. indranee

Commiserating? He's commiserating? lol.

I really don't know. I have no problem with the casting. I just have trepidations with using "Khan".

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I wouldn't say that here - it would be considered flaming, at the least.

You thought that was worthwhile? It reads as a fairly typical example of io9's apparent editorial approach to generating "content:" come up with some kind of premise and a headline, then extemporize and represent random opinions as if they're self-evident for a certain number of words - to no particular effect.

I'm not impressed.

Thank you. Thank Vice President Biden. ;)

12. Trekkie2

a. that's exactly what I thought.

b. it was a response to the "vast majority" statement.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

14. Admiral Buzzkill

De gustibus non est disputandum.
    And yet, neither germane nor interesting.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's supposed to feel awkward - for us. Because we, and Saavik - and Khan - only find out later that Kirk and Spock were communicating in code, as per regulations (and their past camaraderie). The scene plays out quite differently on second and subsequent viewings, because now we are in on the gag.

It's a great piece of melodrama. Exactly what it's supposed to be.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Are we saying that only blind actors can play blind characters in movies? That only paraplegic actors can play wheelchair-bound characters? That only aliens can play Vulcans? That only male actors can play male characters?

I seem to recall Linda Hunt winning an Oscar because she was the best person for the job (Billy Kwan, "The Year of Living Dangerously").

Why can't Benedict Cumberbatch play any character he can successfully convince the director and casting agents he can play better than any other candidate?

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. Since the Xindi attack was part of the Temperoal Cold War which was an ongoing, changing event and as Daniels had said, those events had not yet reached his future.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Ongoing" is a meaningless term with regard to the TCW. As we see in later episodes like "In a Mirror, Darkly" (Defiant's logs) and "These Are the Voyages", Enterprise is the past of "The Tholian Web" (and TOS) and "The Pegasus" (and all of Next Gen)

The Star Trek Prime timeline is thusly the result of all those temporal incursions that made up the TCW, and it's no more Daniels' history (his diverged when the colony from "Shockwave" was destroyed) than the STXI alternate reality (which diverged when the Narada appeared) is Spock Prime's.

19. Trekkie2

Those ladies are very pretty. And what do I see? D'Silva? A Portuguese Indian? Indian does cover alot of territory.

Than you'd be interested to know that Trekmovie.com is backpeddaling to cover their butts just in case these confirmed spoilers don't work out. I'm sorry but that is :guffaw:

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is a difficult question, but its actually not as clear cut as you believe...it amazes me how people who are sci fi fans and supposedly forward thinking generally seem to be the most ignorant or resistant to the actual future, so to this end, let me suggest to you the myth of the past as a golden age and the "fact" the the future cannot be anything like Star Trek...in fact, we are likely to greatly surpass Star Trek in all its forms...it will just not take the path we thought!

First let me start off by saying this could go either way, but I'm seeing the increasing likelihood of the singularity approaching all the time...to many the Singularity means the end of everything as we know it(well it is..)--its is when machine intelligence surpasses human intelligence, and the resulting flood of change and information is too much for un-enhanced humans brains to digest. But instead of the machines advancing and eliminating or ignoring us (Hans Marovec), what if we humans begin the rapid advance to Transhumanism, and eventually supplant the machines, even without conflict....simply out-evolve them? While for some, the resulting version of humanity would not be humanity by the simplest definition, I see no reason this type of AI/humanity wouldn't be more enlightened than previous versions brought forth by natural evolution. One might say the exponential result of our accelerated evolution is the greatest accomplishment of mankind.

As for all the problems facing the current world or even the following transhuman transition period? Well frankly, we are the the most evolved, wealthiest, peaceful we have ever been, the Blade Runneresque future is fine for fiction and cautionary tales but a myth. We have tremendous problems, but there is no reason to assume they can't be solved with any number of human derived solutions, many of which we already know about. Some examples:

Most peaceful time in history

War..think again

Steve Pinker

Greatest numbers you've ever seen

Beaming solar power

Generation IV reactors

Fusion before 2035

Nanotech for environmental cleanup

Smart matter, post singularity

As for the characters, you claim evolved social humans are not human? How ridiculous!! We aspire to be like them but if we reach it we aren't "human"? The humans in ST are improved but not perfect, striving for improvement and showing social differences is ST what is about, its what makes the show different from the other shows that assume we can advance and stay exactly the same. You might say that making commentary about our times from that perspective is more imaginative and creative than arguing it from dystopia.

RAMA