Votes: 14 51.9%
  • The Blur (Average)

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Superdouche (Bad)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Bizzaro (Terrible)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sorry...I'm kind of cranky first thing in the morning...but yeah this has been in place since at least the Bryne reboot.

I say Kaka Zor-El all the time, but I don't think I ever understood the implications.

Because I like to watch implications go critical, gotta ask about Superman's mother Lara?

Does the kryptonian nuptuals strip the femal of her fathers name and leave a vacuum in it's place in so that females have no identity, rather thanin human culture wher ethe female is 'goaded" into taking the malkes surname?

Will Lois Lane ever be Lois Kent or just plain Lois following the rules above?

IYour (or whoever came up with that naming convention) would make names ridiculously long.
How so? It would never exceed something like Name Name-House for females and Name-House for males. The mother's name is never used, males simply have a two-part name, and females have a single name followed by their father's full name.

At worst, it would only get long when citing your lineage. Which hardly comes up regardless of what culture you're from, and even when it did it would be no different than John Smith, son of Jack Smith, son of James Smith, etc.

I live in a state bordering Kansas and, amusingly enough, I have a young cousin named "Kara" (NO, my name is NEITHER "Clark" nor "Kal-El). My cousin's name is pronounced as if saying "Care-Ah". I don't think anyone has ever referred to her as "Car-Rah". Maybe "Care-Ah" is just the accepted regional pronunciation around here and the Smallville gang got lucky on it. Personally, I've ALWAYS pronounced the name as "Care-Ah" and any other version sounds weird to my ears.

I say Kaka Zor-El all the time, but I don't think I ever understood the implications.

Because I like to watch implications go critical, gotta ask about Superman's mother Lara?

Does the kryptonian nuptuals strip the femal of her fathers name and leave a vacuum in it's place in so that females have no identity, rather thanin human culture wher ethe female is 'goaded" into taking the malkes surname?

Will Lois Lane ever be Lois Kent or just plain Lois following the rules above?

Superman's mother's full name is Lara Lor-Van. (I can't believe I actually remembered that).

Under Kryptonian rules Lois remains Lois Lane as the woman doesn't take the name of her husband.

Curious topic to be discussing...but I have heard Kara's name pronounced a couple different ways but the ones indicated above and what has been stated in the series is how I've always pronounced it.

Most of the time it's Care-uh. Sometimes it's Car-uh which I don't really like as it sounds really pretentious. What's funny is when you listen to a Ron Moore BSG commentary and he pronounces Kara differently then they do on that show. It's quite annoying that he does that.

Smallville is so irrelevant to me right now that I had no idea this episode was coming up. The only time I watched the show was when they had Supergirl a couple seasons ago. Interesting coincidence that this episode airs a couple weeks after the Supergirl-centric Apocalypse DC Animated film.

We can thank the fact V is filmed in the same city, and that there was an obvious production break in that show, that we were able to get this episode. If it is a "backdoor pilot" for a spinoff, I wonder what that might imply for her character on V ...

Alex

I know someone named Kara and we always pronounce it "Car-ah". I think it sounds better that way. It's also what I'm used to. I don't like "Care-ah".

Why is the pronunciation of her name being discussed now? I don't remember when she was a main character in season seven this topic coming up. Weird.

Back