Simon Pegg, Doug Jung To Write Star Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Firebird, Jan 22, 2015.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

speaking of spot. I found it enduring that out of all the two characters of trek, it is data and spock prime, two beings who have emotional issues connected so well with cats. maybe pegg writing st3 can have a cat in the 3rd film and it can be a comic relief or a trek reference,pegg is after all a comic genius.:)

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sentence made me think the movie should have a big lazy Caitian played by Nick Frost.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

If Simon Pegg brings us M'Ress in the new movie, I think we can successfully crown him the biggest Trek nerd in Hollywood.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Like button has just been clicked.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Trade Headlines: "Pegg Brings Pussy To Trek."

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping for a good story just like anybody else.
    But I admit that finally getting some onscreen LGBT diversity in on screen Trek is important to me. Obviously I'm capable of enjoying an all cis heterosexual cast in a movie, but it's still a bonus if Trek can finally leave the outdated gay erasure behind them.
    I don't guess anybody has heard any commentary from Pegg or anyone else about that? I'm not familiar with Pegg's other writing, has his other screenplays included LGBT characters?

8. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

bad bad move. pegg has a lot riding on him and trek 3. this films has only 2 ways to go. star trek 2009 or final frontier.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not really. There are many, many ways that he can go and most of them are unlikely to be failures.

10. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

In case you missed it, the proposed headline was inspired by these posts:

Which I'm reasonably sure were minimally serious.

11. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I recall. I'm sure he's fairly hip, but it doesn't seem to be on his radar.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I won't lie, though. If Simon Pegg brings M'Ress to the big screen, I may just love him forever.

13. The Wormhole

I'll be more impressed if Arex is in the movie.

14. BeatleJWOL

Are you saying you'd give it three thumbs up?

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

But I didn't even mention that M'Ress is hot! Not that I said anything of the sort, because why would I? Why would you? Where are you going with this? I don't have to stand for that kind of accusatory tone!

*exits thread*

16. BeatleJWOL

you forgot something:

17. The Wormhole

Hmm, probably a good thing Orci isn't writing anymore. Imagine if head Arex in one of his movies. I'm thinking there'd be a scene, after Kirk saw Carol in her underwear, he's walking by Arex, and Arex makes the comment "I see I'm not the only one with a third leg."

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something about a curvy girl in a catsuit...
    ...or better yet, a curvy girl who is a cat.

19. Blackanvill0

Blackanvill0 Ensign

Ohh I hope not.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I would actually hope there is no advance commentary on any such characters and then be pleasantly surprised if such characters are present. To me, this would be more effective in two ways. One, it would avoid the inevitable degree of disappointment that advanced comments would undoubtedly induce (because, you know as well as I do, there will be loud expressions of disappointment based on unmet expectations, regardless of how the characters are presented and handled). Two, a lack of advance commentary would reinforce the idea that such characters are an organic and integral element of the setting--a far more useful presentation than any kind of heavy-handed 'ooh, look, it's the token "gay couple"' that would likely result from any attempt to "make a point". Trek had plenty of opportunities to "make a point" on this matter back when it would have been truly "progressive" or "cutting edge". By now, it would be far more compelling to make the presence of any LBGT character(s) as "matter of fact" as possible.