Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Apr 12, 2014.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I like civ games in general, but for some reason I'm holding back on this one as I'm not certain. What I'm looking for is a new gameplay experience. So I'm wondering if besides the change in location to an alien planet, is there any new mechanic that makes it sufficiently different from the previous civ game?

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beyond Earth uses the game engine from Civilization V, but it's a completely different game. This article should answer a few of your questions.
    10 Ways Civ: Beyond Earth Is Nothing Like Civilization V

Also, Civilization V is free to play on Steam until Thursday. So if you haven't played V yet, like me, now's a good time to demo it.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

There's going to be a turn-locked demo released as well, which I'm excited about because I want to try it before I buy it (and I generally wait a little while to buy games anyway in case there are any bugs that need to be sorted. But I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.

4. Kelthaz

This should be no surprise to anyone, but the reviews are looking good.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's good because my laptop is a bit dated now (about 4 years old now i think) and modern games, usually those with the high graphics possibilities, are beyond its reach now.

I haven't played a retail game on it for quite some time (instead using my PS4 for gaming) but strategy games are still my first love and i'd really like to try it.. if my machine can run it.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm planning to wait until it's on sale next year before getting it, a decision made easier when my desktop PC died a few weeks ago. It's probably going to need a few balance patches anyway, if Firaxis's track record is anything to go by.

Plus, they got rid of the replay and stats screen at the end of the game. That was the best thing about winning! They had better have patched that in before I get around to purchasing it.

7. trekkiebaggio

Yeah, I was disappointed to hear that once the game ends you're just taken back to the main menu. The IGN reviewer mentioned that in one game he was beaten by one turn but he had to go back and watch the end of the game in slow motion to find out who had beaten him and how.

8. Kelthaz

And it's out.

I need to wake up in just under 8 hours for work, but I think I'll get in a couple of turns first.

9. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

It started as a coding error. In civ 1 Ghandi's aggression was set to 0, problem was aggression levels in code were set from 1-10, 0 wasn't a thing so the code cranked his aggression level to 10.

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

So, how much sleep did you get? ;)

11. Kelthaz

Far more sleep than I had expected to get. I'm no newbie to the Civilization series, but I find Beyond Earth to be horribly confusing. I almost think I would have an easier time if I wasn't familiar with the previous games. So yeah, I played about 10 turns, got frustrated, and went to bed.

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Got the demo just to see if it would run on my PC, and it seems fine. Some of the things I've heard of the finished product are putting me off. Namely I've heard that you can't turn off the time victory. I always turn off the time victory. I hate feeling rushed.

13. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Just played the demo for bit. Looks ok, but didn't really get a chance to get into the affinity mechanic because of the limited time for the demo. It kinda feels just like a mod for Civ V though.

I'll probably pick it up eventually, but I have enough on my plate right now. Don't need another time sink at the moment.

Interestingly enough, it seemed to run better on my computer than Civ V does. :lol:

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Got the demo too and have played one go through without much strategy in my mind.

Thankfully it runs on my machine (might try higher graphics settings to see how well my older machine handles it).

I haven't played Civilization in ages but there were a shit ton of options that are overwhelming at first and it's hard to formulate a long term strategy at first but i guess that's par for the course when you play a Civilization game.

Like the futuristic aspect much and a nice change of the usual Stone Age to Modern Age progression in standard Civ games.

Just trying to decide if i want to lose my weekends and evenings to a game again.. i have enough on my plate already :lol:.

15. trekkiebaggio

I played the demo and had a bit of a mess around. Only played one game so far and I didn't feel like I got much done since aliens were swarming nearby. I've read elsewhere that they're not too aggressive so I tried to stay out of their way but they kept attacking me, and I couldn't get my explorer to the expedition sites.

So then I tried to focus on getting a few rangers and combat rovers to clear out the area so I could actually expand but at one point I had two siege worms attacking me.

I wish there was some indication when your troops are going to die from miasma as well, because I find it difficult to see sometimes. Some parts are quite overwhelming though, like I didn't really have any idea what the optimal research paths were (not that it really matters much in the demo).

I quite like the virtue paths though. I went for the military one and got the bonus that provided science when you kill aliens, which came in handy given the situation of my game. :lol:

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

After my old laptop died, I got a new one that's a bit of a downgrade (sadly enough). Because of that, I was worried the game wouldn't play. Fortunately, the demo plays without a hitch.

There's a lot of stuff all at once and I don't have any frame of reference, which makes it a bit harder to follow. Fortunately, there's also LP videos like this one that can give some idea of what to expect. But finding what I need is next to impossible.

17. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the tech web is a bit confusing...
    It is aslso not as expansive as the Civ Tech trees of the past games, a bit bare bones...

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Playing it, enjoying it, still hoping for an integration update that lets me play all the way through from the beginning of a Civ 5 game to the end of a Civ:BE one. :)

19. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having played the demo I'm satisfied with my choice not to buy the game. It's got all that Civ fun, but it does still feel a lot like Civ5 that the current price point won't work for me. I'll most likely get when it goes on sale though.

20. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

After reading reviews and comments from people who have played the game, I've come to the same conclusion as well. I'm still going to get Beyond Earth, but I'm going to wait till it goes on sale.