Save the Hobbit

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/6571456/Fry-weighs-in-on-Hobbit-pub-row

Shame. It's only free advertising for them.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it seems to me like it would be better for everyone if they were to work out some kind of a marketing deal behind it. If SZC put their stamp on it, they could get some money out of it and they wouldn't have to worry about pissing people off. But then again I know pretty much nothing about business, so there's alot more to the situation I'm not aware of.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on this article, I suspect the issue that put The Hobbit Pub on Saul Zaentz's radar was merchandising -- "The California based movie production company owns the film, stage and merchandising rights to the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit" and later from the pub owner "'It's not just a case of changing the name - it's all the merchandise, artwork and even the pub sign.'" If the SZC were smart, they would let the pub license the Hobbit name for merchandising use for 1 pound a year. That way they've policed their trademark, and everyone comes out okay.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one in my hometown is gone but apparently it still lives on in Kalamazoo: http://www.bilbospizza.com/. Hopefully, they don't come for them...

5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

This pub is actually my regular and I really don't see why the reason behind the lawsuit. It's doesn't even use that much imagery from the film. Basically they have cocktails and shots named after characters from the stories and that's about it. I just hope it won't have to close down, there was a suggestion that it'll change to a Camelot theme which would be cool.

It'll just cost money to change all the signs and stuff. It is a shame though because it's been around long enough that people don't just go there for the LOTR theme. It just all seems rather petty.

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a bunch of slimy weasels. I can't say that I know much about copyright law, but can you actually sue someone for infringement who was using a name before you arrived on the scene?

Reminds me of the idiots who complain to the city about the noise AFTER they buy a house next to the airport.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because the name already belonged to someone else when the pub started using it.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

They're coming to get you, Bar-- I mean, Bilbo...

There's a place in my town called the Shire Cafe which was inspired by LOTR (within the last few years). While that name is too generic to be actionable, they also lease to some smaller businesses like Rivendell Hair and Mordor Tattoo. I wonder.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

Yes, Saul Zaentz has had the LOTR rights for a long time.

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Still foolishness to go after them. Its not like the money they make compares to what the Hobbit (the movie) is going to bring in...

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, if the Saul Zaentz Company doesn't defend their trademark (and can show that they've been defending it) they would run the risk of losing their trademark.

The "out" is to license the name "Hobbit" to the pub for a token annual fee.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, but beyond that...the rights to the property belonged to someone else before Zaentz purchased them, and that "someone else" was never the owners of the pub.

That's not intended to address the question of whether it's a good idea to go after these people - but let's not get confused to the effect that the pub owners just adopted an abandoned or public domain property of some kind.

13. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

There is a jewelry store in Lexington, Kentucky called...

The Mithril!

How come nothing has happened to them?

Steven Spielberg's lawyer crapped on fans and Spielberg smacked him.

Roddenberry's lawyer was a dick.

Jezz. :wtf:

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

A class act. :techman::cool:

16. trekkiebaggio

They're shooting interviews for a promotional video tomorrow. I'll probably go down and check it out, it'd be nice if Stephen Fry and/or Ian McKellen came in for a drink!

I can't help but think it's all in vain though. To be honest I don't really mind if they have to change the theme, it'll still be the same pub. The news is getting around though, they even had a message of support from someone in Japan.

17. Gothowitz

Gothowitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You just identified the reason for the lawsuit.
    "That much imagery from the film" is like saying you're "only a little pregnant" or "he's only a little bit dead".

Saul-boy has film rights. Derivative material and imagery from that puts the ball in his court.

Get rid of that stuff, pay the legal fees to get out of that big-ass "oops!" and they should be fine with Saul.
    Unless the Tolkien heirs want to pile on that is.

Saul = specific imagery from films.
    T'heirs = everything else (they so wish).

18. trekkiebaggio

The only imagery I know of is Elijah Wood on the loyalty card, which I agree they shouldn't have used. According to one of the articles there's posters and stuff from the movies but I haven't noticed them.

They've been in touch with SZC and there's going to be an announcement at 7pm tonight.

Edit: Apparently it's been resolved and they're going to have to pay a nominal licensing fee, which is fair enough.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

This company is protecting it's brand. I'm sure Tolkien would love that his greatest work is now bandied about in corporate board rooms as nothing more than a profitable brand. No appreciation of the work itself, just "can it make us more money?".

If given a choice, I'm sure he'd have preferred a good pub to that.

I believe one of the reasons Tolkien was resistant to the idea of a movie was this very thing, along with merchandising. And it has been merchandised to death.
    Seriously, they've done just about everything but make Lord Of The Rings condoms.

(in Ian McKellen voice)
    "With our specially patented Mithril latex, sperm SHALL NOT PASS!! Verily, the sword of Elendil would shatter more easily! So remember, Lord Of The Rings condoms....for true adventurers."

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ My preciousss.

It's silly to harass somebody over something like that. I just would have asked them to add a Copyright notice.