Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman to star in Deadpool III (2024)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"But it seems this won’t be the exact same Logan we’ve met in previous X-Men movies (“Correct,” says Feige)"

So he's not a pre-Logan Wolverine or anything crazy like that.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In the grand scheme of things, Logan will come to be seen as the outlier, a grimdark, overlong slog of a movie that doesn't meaningfully connect to any of the other films. (I will always be disappointed that the family the group seeks refuge with mid-movie is a bunch of randos, rather than a reformed and retired Victor Creed, with Liev Schreiber reprising the role. Also, the movie should certainly not have exceeded two hours.) :p

Still, though I don't share Feige's respect for that movie, I'm heartened to hear that he advised Jackman not to return, even though I'm glad Jackman did anyway. This suggests that, despite recent setbacks, Feige's still aiming for quality storytelling over an easy buck. (I'm sure Bob Iger would never have dissuaded Jackman from snikt!-ing the claws again.)

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

In theory it was supposed to connect to the end of Apocalypse, though this wasn't ultimately borne out other than perhaps in a tangential way. Fox, because of not having a Feige, did not seem to coordinate the productions of Apocalypse and Logan ( two unrelated Weapon X plots, two different Calibans ). There is also the Logan footage which appears in The New Mutants. Unfortunately, we learned from Logan in Logan that there are no new mutants. Ay caramba!

6. Gaith

^ Yep, and the only real reference to a prior X-movie in Logan is to the original film. Whether one likes the movie or not, it's a clear outlier to the series as a whole, even accounting for the inconsistent continuity.

7. Tuskin38

You haven't even seen the movie yet.

Anwar and Serveaux like this.
  8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's 2024. We don't watch movies anymore. We watch trailers and MAKE BELIEVE we've seen the movie. This makes us look cool with the rest the cool dudes that know, you know?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I enjoyed Logan, the more I think about the more I think it really works better as an alternate future, rather than the actual future of the FoXmen universe.

Anwar, DEWLine, Avalon and 2 others like this.
  10. Gaith

So? My point was, obviously, that if Feige was focused on making easy money, he wouldn't have advised Jackman not to return to the role.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that was the idea of the movie. Wasn't it inspired by the Old Man Logan comic series?

DEWLine likes this.
  12. Captaindemotion

I’m too lazy to google but if memory serves Mangold initially said that it took place in an alternate future but then rowed back on that.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It was Jackman who originally used the phrase "slightly different universe" which Mangold then clarified that he meant they were simply set beyond all the other movies and had the freedom to do whatever they wanted.

Really, when it comes to the X-Films, it's hard to imagine why it matters anyway. Multiple films contradict each other in weird ways, and a bunch of characters get "rebooted" with little care for what came before. Not to mention the way that a chunk of characters don't do any significant aging over the course of four decades. ;)

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's utterly insane for fans to insist that 100% compatible movies/series is possible in their loved franchises. I have, and never will give any type of f*%& about it and will just like or dislike the latest show/movie/episode in my beloved franchises.
    "Damn the Canon's, and full speed ahead!!!"

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Totes fair, bruv.

I don't think that it's insane to find it weird when characters show up unexplained in completely different time periods, but we're all of us different. :)

Mage likes this.
  16. Captaindemotion

Magneto didn’t age between First Class and AOA but I can only assume that he had one helluva stressful decade in the 1990s

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He lost almost everything he owned when Beanie Babies crashed.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My issues with it aren't about continuity, I would just like to think the characters got a happier ending than almost all of them being killed the way they were in the movie.

19. Tuskin38

20. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don’t know.

His eyes famously flew wide at Venom’s $800M+ world wide haul, which made him include Hardy in the No Way Home post credits.

Which, yeah, isn’t the same as throwing him in the main movie or just the climax/third act, but it is a marked reversal of his clear prior practice of keeping Sony and Amy’s movies at arms length.

The money talked there, not story.

I think it’s more likely that if Feige said to Jackman not to come back it’s because he knows that the MCU is going to have a hard enough time recasting the role post Logan and Jackman’s retirement from the role, let alone if he reprises the role in 2024.

But also, I can’t quite bring myself to believe it, when Feige would have had to have signed off the Deadpool 3 story pitch, scripts and casting etc.

How does “Hey Hugh, just signed off the DP3 script draft featuring you in an co-title role and it’s being couriered to you now. How about you don’t sign up?” make any sense?