Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not something I'd ever have spotted but the licence plate on Mel's bike is one that wouldn't be issued in the real world until late 2025.

More evidence that Episode 4 unfolds over a long period of time?

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

On my computer, D+, the Disney+ YouTube account, and the Doctor Who YouTube account all look like the one on the left. The colors are noticeably more vibrant and contrasty on my phone (the only HDR screen I own, bizarrely) on Disney+, but not on YouTube. So it looks like the issue runs a bit deeper than just the post to social media. It seems none of the SDR versions were done correctly, but the social media crossposts only used the SDR version.

The Wormhole likes this.
  4. Rich Watson

In a day the trailer has had over 2 million views across the various places it's appeared, which is fantastic. And interestingly most of those from Disney's social media channels rather than the BBC's.

So maybe prioritising the Yanks is a good thing after all?

Edit: Had to update as I noticed it's now over two million views on the Disney+ YouTube alone. I think this new 'Doctor Who' thing might catch on.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Jedman67 and Commander Troi like this.
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Playing devil's advocate, D+ did have it exclusively for at least an hour or so not only would it get the initial clicks but I imagine that because of that it was also the link provided in many of the postings and articles so even people coming in later would see that link to view which could contribute to the discrepancy.

6. Rich Watson

And is now nearly at four million. To quote Ace, "Gordon Bennett!"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just rewatched the trailer and I'm reminded of two things I forgot to mention when I first posted about it:

I love that The Doctor is finally going to a time of the dinosaurs and I wonder how closely the show follows the actual history and geography of particular species. Yes, I'm that kind of nerd who would be annoyed by them getting that wrong and yes, I know it doesn't ultimately matter, but I'll still think it because I can't help it. Regardless, technology has finally caught up to the promise of Invasion of the Dinosaurs (and hopefully The Fifteenth Doctor no longer harbors outdated knowledge about them...). I know I'm in the minority about loving the absurdity "Dinosaurs in a Spaceship," but I'm nonetheless excited about a proper visit with dinosaurs.

The other thing that stood out to me was The Doctor's promise to Carla to protect Ruby. You'd think he would know better by now to not make such promises. Somewhere, Jackie is losing her mind.

Jedman67, Mr Awe and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The version on the right alone is making me want to check this new season out. So many lush, real colors as opposed to the ubiquitous muted teal/orange palette that's been the norm for something over a decade now in TV shows and movies. Just as long it's not "In The Volcano in the Day" as a complementary piece of "In The Forest of the Night"? (Looks like that might also be the dinosaur episode where they squash a bug and the most random change then manifests?)

Every new era generates interest. How long it stays is another. Since "Doctor Who" has been going on since 1963, it's definitely caught on and stayed around as more than the sum of its parts.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just rewatched the trailer before I posted about it, and one thing that stands out to me is that it looks like 15 is going to a have a whole bunch different costumes, instead of the one trademark costume that most of the others have had.
    It really looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

unless you want to Cosplay the 15th Doctor :)

Jedman67, JRob94 and Starkers like this.
  11. Mr. Adventure

You can just wear whatever you have around and be the 15th Doctor. :)

JRob94 and Jedman67 like this.
  12. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

But you have to look fabulous. ;)

Turtletrekker, Mr Awe, Avalon and 5 others like this.
  13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Rich Watson

“If Disney collapsed tomorrow and we had to go back to making 'Doctor Who' on a normal BBC budget, you know what? We’d all rally round and make it and suddenly the stories would become claustrophobic ghost stories. A lot of people would like that very much, so I’m not saying you have to have this happen. But while it’s happening elsewhere, I think it’s unfair that it doesn’t happen to 'Doctor Who' .”

Lots of interesting and some depressing stuff in the full podcast.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I am amazed that he's never met Tom Baker!

It's interesting to think about these co-production deals as something new, but I've been reading the Blakes 7 Series A Production Diary and there were discussions in 1977 about acquiring partners in the US to help funding the show (I think Time Life or something similar were interested for a while).

When he talks about claustrophobic ghost stories and some people liking that very much...I felt very seen :lol:

Mr Awe likes this.
  16. Mr. Adventure

I don't understand what he is saying in those last two sentences.

17. Rich Watson

You can make low budget Doctor Who and some people would prefer it, but if it can compete on the world stage against the other big budget genre shows why shouldn't it.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Starkers likes this.
  18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd never heard of that book. I'll have to find it!

I had the pleasure of meeting Sally Knyvette, Jan Chappell, and Brian Croucher at a convention here in the States last month. Never thought I'd get to meet any of them. Asked Sally what it was like working with Paul Darrow and she gave an interesting answer about how he was very intimidating and emphasized that she didn't mean it in a good way. She much preferred Gareth Thomas.

But I digress . . .

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's not cheap but I thought it was well worth the price.

That's really interesting, I've rarely heard anyone have a bad word to say about Darrow?

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It doesn't come across well (it makes more sense when you hear him saying it) but that's basically it.

The Nth Doctor likes this.