Reasons to be happy / not happy about a 4th film.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Re: Reason why I am not happy for a 4th film.

I've had enough of Kirk and Co. to be honest. At least ones not played by Shatner, Nimoy and associates. I don't like Pine and although Quinto's quite good, the only one of the new cast I really like is Urban. Much as I like him usually, I don't even like Pegg as Scotty.

At least I've got higher hopes for the script this time. I hope I may change my attitude to the fourth film after I've seen the third.

I'd still prefer something different, preferably on T.V...

2. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love all of the new cast (Pine and Urban being the highlights, but the others are great as well). And I'm fine with this, we've never seen Kirk and co like this before.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Urban's great, and Quinto's good. I really don't like Pine at all.

Cho's forgettable, Saldna's O.K. and Pegg's horrible for Scotty. I can't even remember who plays Chekov.

Edit - Anton Yelchin. I don't like him either.

4. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Save me an end seat, Chemahkuu, and maybe we can get a discount on 2 sets of Blu-rays™. :bolian:

It would certainly imply an "improper canon". Gonna need a couple more cups of coffee for that one. :wtf:

The More Things Change, CorporalCaptain, The More Things Change...

Oh, yes we can. Like BillJ said, these characters are timeless. And, we are always "living in the past" as we (boldly) go forward. So it goes, also, for Star Trek!

:lol:

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I can't wait for the 3rd film, and learning there was a 4th was just too awesome for words! What folks need to remember is that no more movies doesn't automatically translate to a TV series. CBS has 700+ episodes of Trek shows on DVD, digital download, and Blu-ray. They don't have to give a crap for a long time. That there must be one or the other just isn't so.

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, not having a movie might actually be worse. It would not inspire confidence in CBS to see that there is no demand for a Trek movie. Why would it produce a Trek series, if a movie (usually a safer bet) didn't work out?

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And it most certainly doesn't necessarily translate to a "proper canon," Prime Universe TREK series.

For all we know, we could get STAR TREK: GAME OF KLINGON THRONES. :)

(Which actually sounds kind of awesome.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

With the current trend of TV series, much as I might not like to admit it, that seems very likely. :lol:

For all the talk about the Abrams' Trek being too focused on cynicism and action, a TV show might be even more extreme in that aspect.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure I've ever understood what was cynical about the new films.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount believes that Star Trek Beyond has the potential for being a watershed in the Trek movies. That is why they have granted an option for a fourth sequel.

11. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see some spin off movies as well, but they just don't have to balls to do that. In the eyes of the powers that be, Star Trek MUST ALWAYS be about Kirk and Spock ... :rolleyes:

I agree that Urban is the best of the cast and the only one who really plays his character in a recognisable way.

Pines does a pretty good job at playing Kirk, I can recognise the character as well.

But I'm having a hard time with Quinto as Spock. His acting seems somewhat woodden, and his look is a bit strange. I can't put my finger on it, but seeing him in that role feels like there is an actor who's trying to play Spock ... I know that's exactly how it is, but with Urban and Pine I can almost forget that they are actors, because they are owning the characters, especially Urban.

Saldana and Cho are doing a good job, but the characters they are playing could be anyone, they don't remind me of Uhura or Sulu in the slightest.

Pegg as Scotty is absolutely unrecognisable, and don't get me started about Yelchin. I hope Chekov dies in the next movie.

I liked Bruce Greenwood's take on Pike, a shame that they killed him off!

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited to see Pine and Quinto's commitment to the franchise. They are young actors, who are certainly are not beholden to these films to continue their careers.

I like Pine a lot, as Kirk, and think he presents a very different take on the classic character. I don't think Kirk is really supposed to be likeable in the first film, until later on, and the second shows he is still cavalier about rules and regulations. I think this third one will show the Kirk as a leader.

The fourth has potential to really explore the Enterprise out in deep space doing things that TOS did but with a bigger budget.

And IDW just released the first part of "The Tholian Web" comic series. Reading that just reminded me of all the potential and threats that are out there for this new crew to explore.

13. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

That's understandable if you believe STID was a positive movie. Others believe it is cynical because the story mirrors the truther perspective of corruption from within, contray to Roddenberry's philosophy about the show. You can deny that's what the movie was about, but you can't deny that the belief exists. Understanding can come from that.

As for Star Trek 11, I don't really know. Perhaps it's just that the future was changed for the worse in the belief that negativity is more entertaining to people, even if the characters meet the challenge. "Bad news sells" is cynical, even if it's true.

14. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Except for the part where people like Frakes have said that they will not be making a series as long as they are focusing on the movies, whether you can believe that or not.

While Star Trek and Star Wars may not be competing in any tangible way, Trek TV and movies kinda are. Yes, that doesn't mean that no more movies guarantees a series, but it does potentially open the odds up a little bit.

I'd like to have a new Trek show more than I'd like to have more movies because I'm more into TV than movies. Movies have way too many strings attached and expectations. However, I wouldn't want a TV show at the expense of the movies. I'm glad for them to continue.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Partially because humanity is currently surrounded by a lot of negativity and bad news. Bad news sells but also makes it feel more grounded in reality.

Also, as for cynicism in the films, I found them both to be an interesting and balanced blend of both optimism and pessimism. Kirk's arc is a fascinating rejection of the Roddenberry idea at first, until he has the right push to become a leader.

Likewise, with Spock, we see him as both the ideal Starfleet officer, and the potential darker path that his emotions could drive him towards.

Marcus is an interesting paradox, because he serves as the darker mirror for Kirk.

All of it is just fascinating psychology to me.

16. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder, will Star Trek catch up with Doctor Who again on episode count?

17. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What are you talking about?

What "negativity" are you talking about??

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Now me, I thought the movie sent a very positive message and was very optimistic. As long as we have thinking and growing people like Kirk, the Marcuses of the world don't have a chance. Starfleet will go down the path of being military only as smaller and purely defensive mission within the broader mission of peace, establishing relations, and exploration.

It's odd too, that while some profess the movie isn't true to Roddenberry's optimism, others would've loved it if the next movie picked up where STID left off with a war starting with the Klingons. The very thing Kirk essentially prevented.

Given our military history has had occasional war-mongering Marcus-types (George Patton, Curtis Lemay, and William Westmorland come to mind), I don't see how it's a veiled "truther" movie, either.

19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

So long as Kirk and Spock face off against the Borg in ST4 I'm good :)

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What "Roddenberry philosophy" is that? That the UFP/Starfeet is incorruptible? The number of corrupted officers and officials in Starfleet and the UFP seen in previous Star Treks puts that idea to rest.

Corruption from within is hardly a new trope in fiction or in Star Trek. While Star Trek is a positive, optimistic future it's not a perfect Pollyanna future. Even our heroes can make mistakes and learn from them. There is more drama and humanity in that than perfect heroes looking down their noses and tisk tisking at the primitives.

How is it any worse than the previous future? Our heroes are still out there fighting the good fight. The bad guys are the ones with the "negativity"

What was the "Bad News" being sold?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.