Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

What were you using to watch it? I was watching it through my Xbox and it wasn't that bad. I know people complained about ads online, but with Xbox there was only one ad at the beginning.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Donald's new show.

5 episodes have aired.

Dramatic Satire about poor people and the lowest end of the entertainment industry in Atlanta.

It's pretty good.

:)

Joel's new sitcom on the other hand, looks super derivative.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it is a CBS sitcom.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Atlanta is really amazing. FX is making some of the best shows on TV right now.

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, what IS your opinion on Community?

IMO, its probably the greatest sitcom ever... for the first three seasons. But I like the latter three seasons as well.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The ads for Joel McHale's new sitcom look horrid. Danny Pudi's new show looks kinda fun.

First three seasons are incredible, one of the best sitcoms of all time. Season four was like a normal network sitcom. I think the episode where the Inspector Spacetime focus group where they changed the show based on Pierce's feedback was the writers writing about themselves.

Season five had a lot of really good episodes and they managed to recapture the original spirit of Community but not to the same level of success. Season six wasn't as good. It somehow seems like the perfect ending to Community for a totally sane person to come in and call them on all their nonsense and force them to be normal, but that doesn't make it funny.

7. Emperor-Tiberius

Season four is probably the weakest in terms of writing, but I do find it better than a lot of other shows still - the Inspector Spacetime episode is extremely underrated for that matter. Plus, its the last to feature the original cast - the Greendale Seven, so it does have that in its favor. And season five Season five is pretty good and compact, handling lots of things with relative effciency, including a surprisingly touching send-off to Pierce and Troy (the former not even showing him!) and the return of John Oliver! And I think season six is pretty good, but on the other hand, its easily the weakest of the Harmon bunch. Its pacing is off, and there wasn't a central arc like there was the other years. And Jeff's "agony" about being left behind is only hinted at just a a few episodes before the actual finale - which was, actually pretty good.

In fact, I wish they could've had a section where they'd have Jeff reminisce in the empty study group room how things used to be, and inserted one of the season one webisodes with the Greendale Seven in them in that place. It'd have been wonderful to see that dynamic, even briefly, shown. But otherwise, I liked it.

Anyway, after that derivative point, I'd have to say that while the newer characters were good, at the end they didn't get to really shine on their own much. I wish instead they'd tried to bring John Oliver back and offer some sense of closure with his character there, and while I know Better Call Saul was happening, I do wish they'd kept Jonathan Banks, as well. But thats just me.

And even with the lacklustre seasons, overall its still the funniest, brightest, boldest comedy show I've seen in the last decade, and the comfiest to enjoy its characters since Friends.

8. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

^^^
    What he said!

9. JirinPanthosa

Was anyone else disappointed we never met Annie's parents?

Other than Shirley she's the only Seven member who we never met family members from a previous generation. Her history with her parents is arguably the most painful, being completely cut off and abandoned for her loss of control. Season six seemed the perfect time to attempt reconciliation, more so than Britta's.

The thing about Frankie Dart is she was a perfect choice of a character to try to save Greendale for real and make it a real functioning community college. The problem with Frankie Dart is her personality is not conducive to the kind of madcap humor the show thrives on, and because she came in with so much authority every time she saw thematic weirdness happening her role was to shut it down.

I would agree that season 4 is like an above average network sitcom. The problem is that's the same way I used to defend Voyager, 'Well it's better than most of the crap on TV!' When the bar is set so low, saying something is above that bar is not significant praise.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

I think I like Community's season 4 more than any individual season of Voyager, with or without having to consider it'd be the only Star Trek show that I'd have to watch, if such a choice was so limited.

11. bigdaddy

I'd argue that most network crap is still more enjoyable to watch than Voyager.

I like to think the show ended in season 5 with a comet hitting the Earth.

12. JirinPanthosa

For me, a 'good' network sitcom or procedural is one where I make it to the end of the first episode.

Only maybe a third of Voyager episode are unwatchable. That's a much better ratio than most TV shows.

Community has one unwatchable episode, maybe two or three, and in non-composite numbered seasons maybe 70% are great. That's pretty amazing.

13. Emperor-Tiberius

Honestly, the only episodes I truly dislike are the season four finale and maybe one or two from the sixth season (Garrett's wedding comes to mind, certainly). But thats incredibly small amount of bad episodes, really.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Garrett's wedding was just so off the wall batshit insane that I really enjoyed it.

The episode's of Season 6 that I struggled with were the ones that barely had Joel McHale (I think he was shooting a movie at the same time as the filming of the season?). I know the show by this point had turned into an ensemble, it still felt like Jeff's story was the main focus, so to have Jeff just kind of blend into the background a lot was a little disappointing for me.

I do think in a way though, that that was kind of the point. That Jeff had finally assimilated into Greendale life and was part of the scenery, as it were. I might do a second viewing of Season 6 with that mentality
    in mind.

15. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I'm still waiting for the movie so we can see Annie & Britta's boobs
    :)

16. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the dean dressing up as a dog mascot (S2?) was really creepy and off the wall hysterical. I kinda dropped it after the second season.

17. JirinPanthosa

The only episode I dislike from seasons 1-2-3-5 is the one where Troy's grandma spanks Britta.

The only episode I truly loathe is the puppet episode. More than the other S4 episodes the characters act with far less intelligence than we know them to have. They took drugs from a random stranger in the woods. Seriously, Annie takes mystery pills? The gas leak must have been particularly bad that day.

Agree about the Garrett's wedding episode. Another case of characters acting with less intelligence than we know them to have. And they didn't use the pseudodoc format in a way that it added anything.

The only S6 episode I think is totally up to prior standards is Karate Kid play episode.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  18. Emperor-Tiberius

I actually found the lack of focus on Jeff's development to be my only real issue with season 6 (Annie growing up, as annoying as it was, made sense, and Britta being rebelous for no reason was even better).. It seemed like his arc (being afraid of being left alone in Greendale) was barely developed at all, only really being shown in the finale.

If I'm allowed to be derivative, however, I do think the finale mostly brilliant. Again, like I said, the only thing it missed, to me, was a what-if of the original seven, showing howing most of them would've really wanted things to have been (you know, with Toy and Shirley present, and Piece alive, etc.). Only that could've made it better, for me.

19. bigdaddy

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Aww, RIP. Sorry to hear this.