Older Movies/Theaters Today?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What older movies would you like to see in a modern theater today? Maybe movies you never saw in a theater when it was released?

I am sure restoration would come into play, for me; Gilda (1946), Man Of Steel (2013) I never saw it when it came out and only on DVD and unlike a lot of people I loved MoS! :D & Brave (2012) I only saw it streaming online and would love to see it on the big screen. :bolian:

Nothing profound on my list but how about you?

2. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

2001: A Space Odessy - I wasn't born when it first came out. Would love to have seen it in 70 millimeter.
    Mad Max - A version where they haven't dubbed all the Australian accents.
    Alien - Just to see the audience reaction to the face hugger and chest-burster.
    Edit: Also It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World opening night before Stanley Kramer cut it for wide release.

3. Taylirious

The more I think about it; Ghostbusters (1984) Watched it dozens on VHS as a kid, All the Back To The Future movies and Superman (1978).

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I never saw any of the LOTR or Hobbit movies in a theater. I'd love to see those in IMAX.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I was 9 years old when this came out, but I wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen.

I did see this on the big screen in 1979 and it made people jump and some of them even screamed. I'm not kidding. :lol:

6. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

The story my parent told me is that half the theater got up and left when the face hugger jumped out at Kane followed by the other half when the alien came out of his chest.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say half the theatre (at the showing I went to) got up and left, but a handful did.

The film made superb use of suspense.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Saw Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts during first run in an old fashioned, art deco style movie theater when I was 12. Saw It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in Cinerama, as well as How the West was Won. Saw Star Wars on opening night. I hate multiplexes because they turned theaters into shoeboxes.

9. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sound Of Music
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty And The Beast
    Aladdin

So jealous of anyone who got to see these on the big screen.

10. Taylirious

@ Janeway's Girl , The Little Mermaid! Another on I watched a lot on VHS and wished I could have experienced it on the big screen. :bolian:

11. Janeway’s Girl

Hell yeah! It would have been amazing to have seen "Under The Sea" on the big screen. Such a great musical number!

12. Taylirious

I am kinda worried about the live action version though. I guess anyone who loves the animated versions of Disney movies worry about a potential live action film. :shrug:

13. Janeway’s Girl

Wait. There's going to be a live-action TLM!? I knew about BATB but not this. I'm worried too.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars

I never had a chance to see Star Wars on the big screen and I think that would be a site to behold, especially in IMAX. I'll probably see The Force Awakens in an IMAX (Or XD) but it just wouldn't be the same because it wasn't the original.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Star Wars OT and Star Trek II: The Wraith of Kahn, awesome movies that came out years before I was born.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a number of movies I've avoided seeing because I'm waiting to seem them projected. I have a hunch there's a real physiological difference between seeing an image projected onto and bouncing off a reflective screen, as in movie theaters and home projector systems, and computer monitors/TVs, which beam images straight from the backlit screen to your eyeballs. Ergo, to ensure my first encounter with them is in a proper projected setting, I've avoided/never gotten around to seeing Citizen Kane or Lawrence of Arabia. I wanted to hold out for projected screenings of Alien and Aliens also, but I gave in five years ago and watched both on my laptop screen.

Come January, however, I fully intend to buy a solid home digital projector and blu ray player, start a Netflix blu ray disc subscription, and begin catching up on some of those and other classics I've been avoiding at last. (I'm also saving some newer stuff like Game of Thrones for this experience.) :bolian:

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

2001, Jaws, Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A friend of mine had to be half carried out of the theater after seeing the film. She was a sensitive soul.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

These days I reserve going to the theatre largely for films with visual spectacle. That means science ficture, superheroes and some others. Anything else I can usually wait for video that can be watched on a 55in. Television.

Story is still uppermost, but (if possible) a visual spectacle should be seen initially as it was intended.

Two forthcoming films interest me: The Martian and Bridge Of Spies. The first I'll want to see on the big screen while the latter can probably wait for video.

20. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks to a combination of Prince Charles, Vue and the forthcoming For Your Eyes Only event at Pinewood, but the time I see it SPECTRE will be the 18th out of 24 official Bond films I've seen at the cinema. That's triple the amount I'd seen at the start of 2015. I'm very pleased with that, and hope to complete the set at some point.