Obscure references?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Warped9, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

*does the 3 snap in Z-formation while saying, "Hated it!"*

:guffaw:

God i loved that show! Jim Carrey in a bikini and pigtails!

2. kathryn i am

kathryn i am Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at all those illustrations was amazing - brought back so many childhood memories. You know how they say that certain smells can trigger memories? Well, I think children's books can have the same effect :D

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Confusing the issue further, Don Cherry is also the name of an avant-garde jazz trumpet player from Oklahoma City. Most people wouldn't know who he is, either, but might recognize his daughter Neneh's name.

4. RedShirt

RedShirt Captain Captain

Can't say that Punky or I have ever heard of that... is it from a particular restaurant or neighborhood?

Grew up on them... hope I never see one again :lol:

Well every town is going to have shorthand references to various locales and not too many people outside of this area are going to know where The Hill or The Landing or The Loop are... hell, I didn't even find out where exactly "Dogtown" was until a couple years ago ;)
    I have found that fewer & fewer people know what or where the "innerbelt" is as the years go by, even though I-170 is just as busy as it ever was.

I haven't found any middle ground on the Imo's issue; people either love it or hate it (personally I think it's vile).

There isn't enough Vess in this town to wash the taste of an Imo's pizza out of your mouth! :lol:

Two foods that I didn't know were St. Louis specific until I joined the Air Force are gooey butter cake and toasted ravioli... which lead to some long, long stretches of cravings in between trips home.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

In my neck of the woods, West Hollywood is often referred to as "WeHo," and North Hollywood -- you guessed it -- "NoHo."

6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is funny, because there are plenty of Hos there. :lol:

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In a discussion at school a few months ago, the name Thomas Jefferson came up, one girl said "Oh, the guy who wrote the constitution." Okay, we're suppose to be the smart gender, sometime you just want to cry.

For years when I would hear alanis morissette sing: "Got my 45 on. So I can rock on," I though she wore a gun.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

A phrase I often use to disagree in forums (not this one) around the 'Net:

Hangin's too good for him! Burnin's too good for him!

9. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I work in a residential home, and one evening a colleague and I where seeing to the bed ridden residents (trust me, you do not want the details). One old lady had been lying at an odd angle, and as we adjusted her to a more comfortable position I noticed that her white hair was now sticking up at all crazy angles, "just like Andy Warhol." Cue look of slack jawed incomprehension from my colleague.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

St. Paul sandwiches are indigenous to Chop Suey restaurants in St. Louis. Basically a fried omelete sandwich with onions, green peppers, your choice of meat, served on sandwich bread. Different places will include pickles, mayo, and/or tomatoes. Can't seem to find them outside of Saint Louis.
    Like with anything, it depends on how its done. I've had pork steaks (usually from the barbecue grill) good enough to make you turn and slap your neighbor.
    [​IMG]
    Which is what makes them obscure references if not many people outside your circle knows about them. Sometimes you might say something that's very commonplace where you are, but totally unheard of anywhere else. I made a reference of going to Jefferson Barracks one time and the person I was talking to said "Who's he?"
    I prefer Cecil Whittaker's (another St. Louis-only reference) myself, but Imo's is the chain that dominates St. Louis perhaps more than Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Papa John's and lays claim to being the original St. Louis-style pizza. Whatever.
    And of course Vess cream soda is red rather than gold like with most brands.
    I didn't know that Chop Suey from Saint Louis was different than that elsewhere in the U.S. When I had takeout from other cities, it just didn't match up with the stuff from back home and it got to the point where eventually I stopped having Chop Suey from outside Saint Louis.

11. scotpens

Ask any American outside of New York what they know about Tammany Hall, and nine out of ten will probably say, “Who is she -- a country singer?”

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I don't know about that - Tammany Hall was covered in the US History course which was required when I was in high school. Is that no longer the case?

13. Finnegan

Finnegan Captain Captain

What are the odds of Lou Gehrig actually contracting Lou Gehrigs disease? Must have been astronomical. And yet it happened. Weird.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He oughta be torn into little pieces and BURIED ALIVE! STERRRRNNNNN.

ON a related note, who uses obscure references to feel people out? Do you use SF references almost as a challenge phrase situation? To see who is also a fan?

15. scotpens

Sometimes I'll deliberately mention the names of obscure, bargain-basement sci-fi and horror filmmakers like Al Adamson, Richard Cunha, Larry Buchanan, Ray Dennis Steckler (aka Cash Flagg), and Jerry Warren. If I get blank stares, I know the people I'm with are not “of the body.”

If someone gives me a blank stare when I mention Jess Franco, I immediately write that person off as a lost cause. There's no hope.

16. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that basically just a Western?

17. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

*chows down on a burrito with christmas on it, and finishes up with a fluffy, delicious Sopapilla*

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

There's a smart gender ?

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

"Supposed" to be the smart gender. ;)

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I am so smart.

I am so smart

S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T...