Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dregj

dregj Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mar 5, 2016
    of course there all that stuff about how the ds9 team got hold of the b5 pilot
    picked the elements they liked
    and made ds9 with it
  2. kkt

kkt Commander Red Shirt

Aug 3, 2014
    Not very likely. More like the DS9 team watched a bunch of Westerns and adapted them to the Star Trek universe.
  3. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Commander Red Shirt

Aug 26, 2016
    I found this someplace. I've read similar reports in the past and possibly in some B5 DVD extras (not sure):

"For years, speculation has existed that Paramount stole aspects of Babylon 5 for the premise of Deep Space Nine, owing to the fact that B5 was pitched to Paramount before being picked up by Warner Bros"

JMS doesn't trash Trek or the production staff and says he believes they didn't steal the idea themselves, but he wondered if the development people (Paramount) steered them to it.
  4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

May 20, 2001
    West Haven, UT, USA
    I love both DS9 and B5, but have never bought the conspiracy theory notion that one is a 'ripoff' of the other, because aside from their both being set aboard a space station, the two shows are very different.

DS9 is essentially a "classic Western" transposed into space and given a Sci-Fi and mythological bent, whereas B5 is more a mixture of "hard Sci-Fi" and High Fantasy, being most reminiscent of stuff like Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Lord of the Rings.
  5. dregj

dregj Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mar 5, 2016
    i honestly cant remember my source now
    but some fella seemed to confirm it
    a couple of years ago
    it was on all the sci fi sites
  6. WB2

WB2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Aug 19, 2016
    To be honest, there are way too many similarities to be coincidental but as they both evolved diffeen't I'm happy about it.
  7. soornge

soornge Commander Red Shirt

Sep 26, 2016
    forst question is b5 available for stream habent seen it on netflix or hulu? 2 just a statemnt re teying ds9 didnt like it when it first came out but revisiting it with an open mind