NHL 2022-2023 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 28, 2022.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Go Kraken! Unbelievable!

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Especially as it would cause Bettman’s head to explode.* :lol:

*metaphorically, of course (no actual wishes for violence in a hockey discussion intended)

3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I'm reminded of the Sonics back in the mid nineties. It was the year Michael Jordan took a sabbatical. The Sonics led almost wire to wire, had the best record in the league, and were heavy favorites to win the championship. We got knocked out in the first round by the sixth seed.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flames fire coach Darryl Sutter.

Panthers restrict ticket sales hoping their home games won't get overrun by Maple Leafs fans.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If they had the best record in the league why were they playing the 6th seed?

BlueStuff likes this.
  6. DarrenTR1970

Well, I made a mistake. They lost to the eighth seed Denver Nuggets in the first round. That's how it was back then. 1 played 8, 2 played 7, 3 played 5, 4 played 6. They NBA didn't expand the playoff rounds til later.

7. Aragorn

Six No. 1 seeds have lost to the No. 8 seed in the NBA playoffs. Most recently, it was the Bucks losing to the Heat last week.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there a strong canadian contingent already in Florida though? I mean when the Canadians play the Panthers, the Habs fans do show up.

This game 1 between the Leafs/Cats is already fascinating. Go Cats.

9. Aragorn

Kraken score four goals in the first including three in 52 seconds (score 4-2 after one period), Stars score two in the third to tie it up, Kraken win in OT. :eek:

Peach Wookiee likes this.
  10. fireproof78

11. DarrenTR1970

The Kraken front office gave the staff of a local elementary school located across the street from their practice facilities front row tickets to game three along with $10,000 this morning.

Peach Wookiee and fireproof78 like this.
  12. fireproof78

The organization is pretty community focused. One of the local radio hosts was sharing that if someone is interested in playing hockey and moving in to the junior leagues and such they will play for the first set of equipment for the youngster. In addition to donating hockey equipment to local schools for PE.

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  13. Aragorn

Don't look now, but the Panthers are up 2 games to 0 over the Maple Leafs.

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm very conflicted by this situation as a life-long Habs fan. One--the Leafs winning anything like a championship is verboten. Two--The Habs have Florida's first round pick in this year's draft, so having the Panthers advance moves the pick from 17 to no better than 29. Not optimal. Three--An all-Canadian final with Edmonton v Toronto (with Edmonton winning, of course) is one of my biggest wishes for this year's playoffs (not least for the coronary it would give Bettman). Ah well. At least Boston won't be winning a Cup, so there's that.

15. Aragorn

The Panthers are now up 3 games to 0 over the Leafs. :eek:

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I’m proud of the Kraken! Even making it to the second round is huge.

17. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blackhawks win the first pick and the right to select phenom Connor Bedard. I am displeased; after the sickening scandal that organisation was involved in, they deserved nothing nice for a good long time.

18. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I brought up the same thought on Twitter and the cesspool is bending over backward to justify it, including that he (Beach) could've left at any time, that he was this hulking hockey player and Aldrich was this tiny wimp and that Beach must've been bicurious. Why do I keep going back?

19. Aragorn

The Ryan Reynolds group (not that he was the big money but he was the big name) failed in their bid to purchase the Ottawa Senators. The deadline for interested groups to submit final nonbinding offers is May 15.

20. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Oilers were a letdown yet again - and unlike past years, I don't think they can point to flawed roster construction. Aside from goaltending, I think they had the players to compete and provide support for McDavid and Draisaitl - they just didn't perform.