NFL 2015-2016 Season - Maybe extra points actually ... matter? What?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Scout101, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: NFL 2015-2016 Season - Maybe extra points actually ... matter? Wha

Raiders with a big win over a Ravens team that has given us fits since mid-2000's. Derek Carr with 351 yards including a 67 yard bomb to our 1st round pick, Amari Cooper.

Offense looking great while we continue to be inconsistent on defense. That's not a recipe for the playoffs, but I'm so glad Carr wasn't seriously hurt last week and that he looks like a legit NFL quarterback, I don't much care right now.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^not sure why the shock, he's basically always played like that. When he's not kicking people in the head. Looking at him, and at the Bills, not sure it makes sense to pay that kind of money on the line, and not to that many people. Any smart team just sees that and throws the ball instead, short passes to the sides. Now your line can't stuff a run that didn't come, and doesn't have time to get to the QB before he gets rid of it. What good did they do?

The way the game is played now, money should go to QB and a good cornerback. Pour some into the OL if you want that QB to be able to walk by Christmas.

WR is another 'waste' position for high dollars IMO. Who's the last star WR to go late in the post season? Big numbers in the regular season, but seems they get shut down in the playoffs and are not a factor in a win. Just need reliable catchers, not a Dez or Megatron. Nice flashy toys for sure, but needed? Nah. Can do just as much damage with a Welker (until recently) or an Edleman.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Nope. Just means that some people on the team would have to sacrifice their weekly diamond earing purchase for about a month. Penalties need to hurt. Not tickle.

Yep. Typical Brady defense. Everyone else is doing it, so...

I admit I'm a bit of an odd duck in this regard. It's not a matter of division rivalry or historical grudge or anything like that, but rather individual acts by people at the top that I focus on. Those acts can tarnish and haunt an entire team for a lot of unwary fans, but the smart ones focus on the source of the problems.

For example, despite having been a Skins fan for over 30 years, I was positively in awe of Tony Romo and the Cowboys in week one against the Giants and such an amazing, almost impossible, comeback. I think only Peyton Manning would be the only other QB in the league that could pull that off today. If it weren't for Romo's recent injury, he was well on to being one of the league's greatest players. Do I dislike the Cowboys as any good Redskins fan should? No. If anything, I dislike the Giants more. I still can't forgive L.T. for wiping out Joe Theisman so long ago. I still remember the day it happened like yesterday. And Joe always said he'll leave the game when they carry him out in a box. Well... I was particularly offended when I was forced to cheer for the Giants against the Pats in both 2008 and 2012.

Conversely, for a team such as the Steelers, which I actually like, but I despise Ben Roethlisberger and his little off-the-field antics that should have landed him - and KEPT him - in jail.

Same thing with Michael Vick - a despicable human being engaging in dog fighting. Yeah, he went to jail and "did his time", but in ALL these people, it's a matter of character. I don't believe for a second that they are rehabilitated or "sorry". I think the only thing they were sorry for is that they got caught. Do I hate the Eagles for it? Absolutely not. If anything, I hate Philly fans. It's like a whole city of thugs up there.

Ndamukong Suh of the Dolphins? If ever there was a player that needed to be permanently ejected from the NFL as a whole, he's it. Do I hate the Dolphins? Absolutely not. They have enough on their plate to worry about than to keep him from kicking someone in the head every game.

See a pattern here? It's not about the team.

Enter the Patriots, it's not so much the team itself, but the members of the leadership at the top, including Belichick and Brady. You will always disagree with this, so I couldn't really care less what you or any other New Englander with sycophantic tendencies thinks, but I despise the cocky, almost arrogant, smarmy and almost-politically-astute way both of them shirked their way out of the problem. People hate that more than the allegations of cheating. It reminds everyone of corrupt politicians. Yeah, they're still a powerful team with a lot of talent and they'll work their way to the top as they've always done, cheating or no, and that's fine. Understand that, if they do win the SB again, nobody will care outside of Boston, 'cause it's just the Patriots. Whether they cheated or not to get there is no longer relevant. It is the perception of guilt that condemns them from this point forward, regardless of anyone's understanding of reality. Any outcome in favor of the Pats will be meaningless. When people cheer at the Super Bowl, it will always be the Bostonians vs. everyone else in the Free World.

Yeah, the Redskins and many other teams are proven cheat more than the Patriots, but the Patriots will always be the ones that truly got away with it. Perception always trumps and dictates reality.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree with you - which is why the Dolphins will likely refuse to pay Brent Grimes and some other team will snatch him up. The 'Phins are always a few steps behind the curve.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I guess if your point is that people are stupid, and reality is what you decide instead of what is, then there's not much to argue with. Seems that in both sports and politics, things have been taken over by mouth-breathing morons, and facts have become secondary to belief. If you want to believe Brady and Belichick are some flavor of the Devil and the Antichrist for jaywalking, while ignoring anything done by the 31 other teams, your prerogative. I think that's stupid, and will continue to point out how stupid that is, but knock yourself out. Tough to argue facts when you won't use any, or accuse people of making excuses if they try.

Bills were trying to break world records for noise on Sunday, and it wasn't that loud after the first few minutes. I think the Pats should be investigated for pumping silence into the stadium. Which means it's true, right? Two 1sts, a 2nd, and a year in jail for Kraft a good place to start? Gronk may not be human, we should check into that. And Rex Ryan was pissed in the postgame that Belichick wouldn't run right into his defensive line, because that's what they prepared for. I mean, that can't be fair, or at least it's arrogant and unsportsmanlike, not? Seriously. :lol:

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Jesus Christ, is this how it's going to be the rest of the season with you?

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If the Patriots get accused of cheating every time they win, then yes, I expect that you'd hear from me a lot. ;)

Honestly, how do you expect a statement like the above to NOT get challenged? If you say it doesn't even matter what happens anymore, and as long as someone believes it, it's fact, then that deserves a challenge, if not outright mockery...

Since there's no reasoning with people, it seems, and the Pats (and their arrogant, smug, cheating, lawyer-loving fans, apparently) are evil and guilty before we even get started, I may as well embrace the villain role and learn to love it.

(just so I can prep for next week: will they need to cheat to beat the Jags, or will that one just count as a regular win? Need to know how much prep work i should put in. Or will this be a "they're mean and running up the score, no fair" game I should prepare for?)

8. Use of Time

No slur against the Patriots will go UNCHALLENGED...by random fan in Rhode Island.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Uh, by that token, thank God that some random dude in Virginia Beach got in here to set me straight? What's that have to do with anything? Bunch of us in here discussing things, why can't I challenge something someone else said? :wtf:

If you don't like being challenged by anyone, don't say stupid shit? Pretty straight forward. Not going to solve world peace or anything, but pretty free to discuss whatever I want in here, no? It's a sports discussion thread, and hell, it's MY thread at that. Why can't I discuss my team, exactly? Or even better, in this case, if OTHER people are discussing that team, and saying what I think is stupid shit, what's your problem with me responding?

Feel free to leave the thread, or block me, or just scroll past, don't much care. You do what you gotta do, and I'll do the same. :techman:

10. Use of Time

Oh by all means, challenge away Spartacus.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Glad I have your permission, it was super important to me to receive your blessing. You done discussing me and at least ready to engage on the subject again, or do you need a second? I'm at least bitching about football stuff, you're bitching about me. Why's mine worse? :lol:

And not that it matters, but for the record, you'll notice that I WAS fine just having perfectly normal discussions on football, and even discussed the Pats game (obviously one of the couple I watched, considering it's the team I follow), didn't create this tangent. No trolling, no cheating talk, discussed the game. Even went easy on poor Rex. If you want to point fingers, Gebirg rolled in the Brady troll on this one. I'm not the one bringing this up over and over again, but if people are going to say stupid shit, perfectly happy responding to it. And I'd be comfortable saying that the statement to the effect of "it not mattering whether anything happened, or if they were responsible, or if it was against a rule; we think they cheated so they must have done something and should be punished" should probably get questioned at some level...

12. 137th Gebirg

[​IMG]
    'Cause you like Brady, bro. Like I said, perception always trumps reality. Everyone knows Brady lies, even if he doesn't, therefore whatever anyone says who defends him is immediately called into question. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. I didn't make up the Rules of Life...

13. Jedi_Master

I would pay good money to get this nonsense to stop. Even Robert Kraft doesn't care that much about the Patriots.

14. 137th Gebirg

Would you like me to send you my PayPal account address? :D

15. Jedi_Master

Don't toy with me man... if you have a way of making it stop I'll give you Ndamukong Suh and a couple of Dolphins cheerleaders.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And why's it ironic that I am questioning your statement? (or just saying it's nonsense at best?) You really don't see any issues with it? Not sure how to argue with such well-constructed logic. You can QUESTION whatever you like, but doesn't make the belief valid, or the response to it false.

Jedi, I can shoot you my paypal address if you like ;)

edit: ninja'd. In general, though, the easy way to get someone to stop responding is to stop trolling them. people keep saying patently stupid shit, will continue to respond and/or mock it. Gebird managed to get a Brady troll into a Redskins discussion somehow, so the problem may not just be me

17. 137th Gebirg

There's a trap in there somewhere...

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

trojan horse at best. You'll end up with VD and your face stomped...

19. Jedi_Master

:)

20. 137th Gebirg

Goddammit! Penalties upon injuries upon penalties! Serves me right on getting my hopes up...

Ineffective defense and fucking Alfred Morris! :mad:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.