NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And helped facilitate our Super Bowl run. My god, talk about a win/win! I can only hope that 2012 can compare with that!

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Heard an interesting stat on the radio:

Denver is 2-3, and the teams they have lost to are a combined 12-2 (New England has lost to Arizona and Baltimore; Atlanta and Houston are undefeated). Talk about a rough schedule to start the season...

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assessing my picks after 5 weeks:

NFC East
    Giants
    Eagles
    Redskins
    Cowboys
    (Still comfortable with this)

NFC North
    Bears
    Packers
    Lions
    Vikings
    (liking the Vikings a lot better now)

NFC South
    Saints
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Buccaneers
    (yeah, I screwed up. Saints are going to finish last)

NFC West
    49ers
    Cardinals
    Rams
    Seahawks
    (comfotable with this too. higher on the Cardinals, though)

AFC East
    Patriots
    Buffalo
    Miami
    Jets
    (comfortable with this)

AFC North
    Steelers
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Browns
    (toss up between the Steelers and the Ravens)

AFC South
    Texans
    Colts
    Titans
    Jaguars
    (comfortable with this)

AFC West
    Broncos
    Chargers
    Raiders
    Chiefs
    (liking the Chargers a little more, but I think the Broncos win the division still)

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Interesting" controversy today over comments made by a Chiefs Offensive Tackle regarding an incident during Sunday afternoon's game.

During the fourth quarter or quarterback threw a pass and in the ensuing melee was knocked to the ground not moving for a moment. Players, refs, and medical checked on him and eventually he left the field on his own too feet, with some aid. He didn't play the rest of the game, our Second Team going in to replace him.

I guess the fans in the stadium cheered at the beginning of the play (completed pass), but grew less cheerful when it was realized Cassel was down, eventually applauding when Cassel was walked off the field.

Offensive Tackle Eric Winston spoke with the press after the game, upset with the fans for "cheering" Cassel's injury. Depending on who you talk to the cheering was either for Cassel appearing mostly unharmed (I've seen it before where people cheer for a recovered player) or for Cassel getting injured or simply for him getting removed from the game allowing for our [stronger] Secondary getting in.

Winston seemed to take the impression they were cheering for Cassel's injury saying in his comments to the press "We're not Gladiators, this is not the Roman Colosseum."

VIDEO LINK

He's taken some criticism for these remarks and while he hasn't completely taken them back, he clarified that while [the entire stadium] may not have been cheering for Cassel's injury any number cheering for it is "too much."

STORY LINK

WINSTON DEFENDING HIS COMMENTS

5. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

These guys hear cheering each week and they know what's what.

When even the defensive player that knocked him out says that, I think there's something there.

Was it everybody? No.

Were there fans doing it? Absolutely. Watch the tape, listen to the cheering, it usually stops when a player is down on the field being attended to.

Good for Eric Winston taking center stage on this one.

Way to stay classy, Arrowhead Stadium.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I gotta agree on this one. I was listening to Sirius NFL all day today, and there were a lot of callers talking about this play. Several Chiefs fans, too, some who agreed with the cheering and said they have been largely unhappy with Cassel's performance thus far. I was shocked, because it really is not cool to cheer just because a player was knocked out of the game.

Watch the videos, and listen to the cheers. These are not the sounds of people who are cheering a successful completion nor are they the sounds of cheering a player off the field. They really sound like the cheers of a player knocked out of the game, "good riddance" style. For shame.

7. Trekker4747

Well, cheering for someone leaving the game isn't the same thing as cheering for them being injured. Cassel had already had a pretty poor performance that game (and all season) with several turnovers and interceptions. As soon as our Seconday got in what did we get? A touchdown. (Eventually taken back due to an Offensive Pass Interference.)

I don't think Winston was as out of line as many have painted him in local media to be as he had some basic points, but I also don't think most of those cheering were cheering for Cassel's injury but simply cheering for the entry of our secondary. More Cheering for Cassel's leaving. Had he been pulled out by Romeo just normally he probably would have gotten cheered too.

Cassel sucks, plain and simple. He's Pioli's golden boy and that's all that's protecting him.

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Splitting hairs in this instance. As has been posted, when a player goes down because of an injury at home, the tradition is that the crowd is silent until they find out the players' status, then clap or cheer as the player leaves the field (under his own power or on a stretcher). This isn't what happened. The home fans cheered while the player was down.

K.C fans cheering while their own player was down, and lets be real, that is what they did, is pretty low class. I mean of course, [sopranos]"whoever did diss"[/sopranos].

ANYONE cheering is pretty disgraceful and reflects poorly on the Chiefs fandom.

So -- you're justifying the cheering of his injury here? :wtf:

9. Trekker4747

Not "justifying" the cheering of his injury, but the cheering of him leaving the game! As I said, first thing that happened when the secondary got in was a touchdown! (quickly reversed due to penalty.)

Cassel has sucked ever since we started using him!

Still, it wasn't the entire stadium cheering for Cassel's injury but maybe hundreds of people, if that. Still too many, sure, but hardly evidence of any kind of problem. You get 50-70,000 people together in one place chances are you're going to get some assholes in there willing to cheer for an injury.

I'll admit when he was pulled out of the game I was glad. Not that he was injured and did hope the best for him, but I was also hoping his injury was enough to keep him out for a while to give our secondary a chance. Hell, if he's out for the rest of his season or even his career I'm happy. I don't think he's a good quarterback.

I don't want him injured, brain damaged, or severely hampered I just don't want him starting anymore.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, no shit. They weren't cheering the literal fact that he was injured. They were cheering that an injury was going to force him out of the game.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Your posts on this subject have been confusing the hell out of me, and now I realized why -- you keep on using this term incorrectly. The secondary is the defense behind the linebackers (so, the defensive backs): Ergo, the secondary part of the defense. The word you're looking for is "backup," as in the backup quarterback.

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

And unless he's employed by the team, seems to be using the words 'we' and 'our' incorrectly as well.

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I was confused too and was just about to post and ask the o/p what he meant by that term.

No he didn't. I use "we", "our", "us", all the time in reference to the teams I support and I've never owned or been employed by the Lakers or Raiders. :)

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I use "we" when we win, and "they" when they lose.

:techman:

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a Packers stockholder, I am not delusional when using the term "we". And buying a stock that has no investment potential is clearly not delusional in any way shape or form. ;)

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Fence-builder :nyah:

And also, on a sad note, Alex Karras has passed away, after battling several illnesses.

Let us have a moment of silence for Mongo.

17. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I figure my 10 shares of Packers stock gives me the right to say "we". That and the fact the stock certificates look good on my den wall is about all the value they have.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

And Phil Emery has nipped that right in the bud, telling the press that there will be no talk of contract extensions for anyone on the coaching staff until after the season. Thank God.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Atlanta goes to 6-0. Matt Bryant was iced right before the game winning kick. He took a practice kick anyway, missed it, and knew how to correct it. Glad to see my #2 team doing well. Seems like they're finally on the right path.

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who doesn't give a damn about either team, I have to say the Lions/Eagles game was fucking awful to watch. It's like neither team wanted to win the game and kept giving up opportunities to put the game away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.