Men in Black 3 Review Thread. *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, May 25, 2012.

?

What grade would you give the film?

1. A

35.9%
  2. B

53.8%
  3. C

7.7%
  4. D

2.6%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just got back from seeing it. I found it disappointing. It wasn't bad, but it was just kinda there. Not particularly stand out, villain was just ok (better than Serena though!), not particularly funny, not enough funny aliens in disguise... the whole movie basically rested on the gimmick of Brolin doing a Tommy Lee Jones impression, which was cool and all, but does not a movie make.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Or old K can take a youth potion.

3. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Did I space out and miss it or was the scene with the graffiti-alien from the trailer not in the movie?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, it wasn't in the film. It could end up being a deleted scene in the DVD/BluRay release.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I gotta say I agree. Initially I gave it an A, because I did enjoy it. But it's not anything that's staying with me, not like the first film, or even the second one.

Yes, that's right, I enjoyed the second film, maybe it wasn't technically a better film than this one, but at least it had Smith and Jones all throughout it.

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still miss Agent L and wish they could've brought back Linda Fiorentino (despite reports of her being difficult to work with) for a role in MIB2 & MIB3.

One of the great things about the Animated Series was the character's inclusion.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I watched 1 and 2 right beforehand, and 2 wasn't *that* bad. It wasn't particularly good, and the villain was intensely uninteresting, but it had some good gags, and K being the one without a clue was a nice inversion.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

She's apparently very hard to work with (just ask Kevin Smith) which is all fine and good... Once you have a real career and have established yourself as being worth putting up with. She wasn't at that point yet and just ended up putting people off.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

this review matches my feelings about it pretty closely.

It's also the least funny of the three, especially the second half, which plays less like sci-fi comedy and more just like a straight sci-fi action movie.

I also thought the end "twist" with Agent K and Agent J was kind of lame and somewhat absurd.(even for a movie of this type)

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I just watched the first movie for the first time in a while, and I had forgotten just how lively and energetic Tommy Lee Jones was in that. Yeah he does do the stiff routine at times with Smith, but he also gets pretty goofy at times as well.

He's not nearly as grim and expressionless as he appears in the third movie (or as Brolin plays him in the past).

Shame we couldn't have seen that Jones one last time.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I honestly think he was written that way for the third movie because that's the impression most people are left with about him after all these years.. He (the character) is getting on in years and they have taken their toll.

I left the movie with a good sense of enjoyment. It was far better than the second, which suffered from the "Let's take the stuff that worked in the first movie and make it BIGGER and LOUDER" syndrome. This movie pared it down and gave us what worked in the first but didn't overdo it.. I was expecting more laughs, but I got caught up in the story and didn't miss them after all was said and done. I found the connection between K and J to be touching and well played out. I did not miss the lack of Frank the Pug or the worm guys playing much of a role at all... The Frank references were a nice touch though.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I really appreciated how clean and simple they kept things for this movie. Especially when most summer movies nowadays (like the Pirates movies) are generally WAY too long, with too many needless subplots and characters and overblown CGI sequences.

13. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Well, it is the longest of the Men in Black films. :)

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^But still significantly shorter than most movies these days. Not that I'm complaining.

Pirates of the Carribean. The perfect example of a good movie ruined by horrible sequels.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I was puzzled why they had this giant-ass neuralizer, then it turns out K has a belt mounted one. Uh, what?

I was also wondering...
    why little J was there with his dad while dad was apparently on duty. I mean, did he leave the kid in the van the whole time he was dealing with the MIB?

I thought it was better than the second one, which was pretty blah and trying too hard.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe he snuck him in to see the launch?

17. Trekker4747

In MIB2 there's a similar "de-neuralizer" room/device. It's possible the larger room-sized machine provides a more targeted and thorough neuralization than the belt/hand-held devices.

During that sequence I did sort of wonder why J couldn't simply close his eyes to prevent being neuralized. (You'd also think agents would be made immune to the process unless a special "Agent Retirement" setting was used.)

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I've always figured that you can't just close your eyes, in that the neuralizer wavelength can penetrate skin. I also just assumed that the MIB shades were more than just your typical polarized sunglasses...

19. Trekker4747

Yeah that makes sense, however in MIB when K uses the neuralizer on the ME he flashes her a couple of times without J having yet put on his glasses and not doing much beyond closing his eyes and covering his eyes a half-second too late. But maybe the higher-powered room-sized one works differently than the smaller hand-held ones.