Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The sheer amount of fake propaganda people will eat up without thinking these days is sad.

2. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People even said that Discovery was cancelled after the first season. Source: a random YouTube video by IHateEveryoneIamSoedgy69.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And as for Bob Iger's struggle with the shareholders, the guy challenging him has literally said, I mean the words have actually come out of his mouth--"Why do I need an all black cast?". He has similar criticisms for all women casts. That right there is enough to let me know conclusively that I never want such a man anywhere near any creative project that I care about. Marvel Studios has already popped the pustule that was Ike Perlmutter, we don't need another human shit stain taking his place.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/d...casting-black-panther-the-marvels-2024-03-23/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    kirk55555, Grendelsbayne and Anwar like this.
  4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Feige himself invited the guy? Yeah right.

Jedman67, BillJ, Anwar and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's depressing is seeing these "professional leakers" starting to get quoted on proper news sites now.

I can't remember the term but they'll make 50 different claims and if 1 turns out to be even somewhat correct people take it as proof they know what they're taking about.

None of them got the Fantastic Four cast right, for example, but they threw out so many names that it wasn't surprising that Pascal and Kirby were mentioned among them. The other two never were, though.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't even an all black cast!!!!

Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis aren't normally considered black, and that's not even counting Sebastian Stan...

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It also doesn't make sense given the setting for the story. We're talking about Wakanda. An African nation in the comics which managed to AVOID colonialism using their strength and abilities which they kept secret (although I think possibly more 'avoidance' in the MCU than actual defeating attempts at colonizing in the Marvel comics)

That type of country is going to be... wait for it... shock face... BLACK PEOPLE.

If a story is set in Russia I expect to see most of the cast playing Russians, if it is set in China I'd expect to see mainly Chinese/Asian people.

It was such a ridiculous statement and a 'tell me you're a racist, without saying the words "I'm a racist".

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Going back to Captain America 4, I find it so tiresome that "too political" is a conservative euphemism for "too liberal". Comics have expressed political views for a long time in the same way that fantasy and science fiction does--through allegory. We just had a whole Superman story about a planet denying climate change, whose inhabitants were so obsessed with social media they forgot how to interact with each other, and whose nations preferred to keep up their societal disputes rather than save their civilization. If that ever got made into a movie, people would cry "too political". Captain America 4 bothers me because in this case, "too political" specifically references a black Cap, without saying that it does.

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The reaction to a black Captain America from numerous MCU fans was quite glaring in the lead-up to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, when Wilson taking on the role was an event that had its origins in the comic (you know, the source they always claim to respect). Despite the self-exposing refrain of TFATWS being "too political", this same category of fan beats the drum of sociopoliticized whining about any Captain America-related image, characterization, hierarchical change (from what is the "traditional hero archetype") that does not fit into their White Supremacist's idea of media heroism. This group of fan despised the entire topic of race in TFATWS, as if it was something "alien" to Marvel and was being "forced" into the series.

Yeah, nevermind that of all Marvel Comics publications, Captain America's book--starting in the late 1960s--dealt with race through the contrast of a White Male originally from the 1940s--draped in the American flag--facing the natural blowback to that image (and Rogers' struggle to live up to a true American idea, instead of how it was appropriated and twisted by the Far Right). Further, the introduction of Sam Wilson--some 55 years ago--was an intentional creation to build on the contrasts of the American experience through two different lenses, including conflict between the book's two heroes.

Racial politics has been a part of the story of Captain America for the majority of the character's existence, but somehow, the use of this kind of plot in the MCU sent the White Supremacist fans into a fit of rage, and they're already complaining about Cap 4--a film that has not been released, all for one reason, and it has nothing to do with some "creative" issue.

FreezeC77, Commander Troi and Anwar like this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Daniel RPK reported the actual cast months in advance, during the strike.

11. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Law of large numbers

Anwar and Turtletrekker like this.
  12. Set Harth

Bet on Pascal being in everything and you can't go wrong.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Huh, for some reason I thought it was a much larger gap. I stand corrected.

14. Set Harth

To be fair, the entertainment industry usually gets away with casting generic white people as Russians, which is a little harder to do when the part is Chinese.

Jedman67, FreezeC77 and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a movie about a black guy who calls himself Captain America, there is no way that is not going to be political.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course it will pick up the issues which the Falcon and Winter Soldier series dealt with, and in the comic in which Falcon was Cap for about a year. I am specifically mentioning how "too political" is code for a wide swath of the population.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Where a black Captain America is concerned, "too political" is ever the transparent code for "a black is taking away what belongs to us" / "raceswapping" / "they're eliminating our white icons" for that end of MCU fandom.

YLu, JD, Commander Troi and 4 others like this.
  18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

19. Turtletrekker

Welcome to 15 posts ago. ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  20. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of Perlmutter...the Variety article (through MSN) has this additional paragraph:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disney-foe-nelson-peltz-questions-woke-marvel-films-why-do-i-have-to-have-a-marvel-movie-that-s-all-women-why-do-i-need-an-all-black-cast/ar-BB1kvhMP?

Disney has framed the proxy-vote campaign by Peltz's Trian Partners as driven by a "longstanding personal agenda" harbored by former Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter against Iger. Trian controls roughly $3.5 billion worth of Disney stock, 79% of which is owned by Perlmutter. Last year, Disney terminated Perlmutter's employment.