Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.0%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.2%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, outside of the comics community I'm just not seeing much of a fan base for him. I certainly doubt Marvel would have found it as difficult to secure the rights if they planned on using Miles Morales. If you look at live action comics adaptions be they TV or films the powers that be tend to go with the established popular version of a character. For instance, flashbacks and alternate reality or what-if stories aside, there hasn't been a comic featuring Dick Grayson as Robin in over thirty years, not in the main stream continuity. There have been two versions of Jason Todd (pre and post crisis), Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and now Damian Wayne. There was also the female Robin from Frank Miller's Dark Knight graphic novels and I dare say someone will chime in with someone else who I've left out. But when it came time to insert Robin into the films, instead of going with the then current side-kick Tim Drake, they went with Dick Grayson , albeit one who allegedly contained elements of the others.

As for Miles Morales comics out performing Peter Parker ones, I'm just guessing here, but it could all be relative, i.e. the Peter Parker ones were going through a bad patch and simply performing even more badly than the Miles Morales ones?

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

No, the Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) was legit outselling Amazing Spider-Man (Peter) back in 2012. Granted Amazing Spider-Man wasn't doing too hot at the time but Ultimate was hitting it hard. They killed Peter off and replaced him with Doc Ock as the Superior Spider-Man in 2013. Superior's sales overtook the Ultimate line. Peter was brought back in 2014 in April right before TASM2 came out and has maintained a lead of Miles since then.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

True.

Comic book fans make up a tiny tiny fraction of the audience for a movielike this. No one outside that clique has ever heard of Miles. Admittedly, the Guardians were just as unknown, but no-one was expecting anyone else to be the Guardians.

Everyone will be expecting Peter Parker to be Spider Man...

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I actually only started reading Spider-Man again when Doc Ock took over. I like Dan Slott's writing.

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

... which is a far more realistic struggle for a mid twenty-something than a teenager or college student, which was my whole point. Why would a teenager or college student be struggling to pay rent?:confused:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I hope not. Iron Spider only works with years of Spider-Man interacting with the Marvel universe. The costume is something that represents Spider-Man selling out. It shouldn't be the very first costume.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is Ultimate Nick Fury is just Ultimate Nick Fury (and looks like Samuel L. Jackson). In the regular universe, Nick Fury Jr. is the character they made the original Nick Fury's son. That was done to give the 616 comics consistency with the movies.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I had only known that it sure would've made college a lot easier.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a difference from actively wanting to change and being open to some changes that make no actual difference to the character. I think most people fall into the latter category.

Heimdall isn't the Human characters' introduction to Asgardians. If Thor came down in a bolt of lightning and stood there played by Idris Elba, the characters would almost certainly wonder why the hell a Nordic god is Black and it would be strange if they didn't. Peter Parker has no such in-universe baggage.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

There is still plenty of time to change that. Marvel's Civil War would be a perfectly acceptable title.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

My bad, mixed universes, by the rest of the statement still stands.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Hugh Jackman said this week, he's be very interested in seeing the X Men and Avengers together !

I realise his 'wants' probably don't have much more chance of making that happen than mine do, but...

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He's been saying that for years.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What Infinity War I and II needs is a Thano's copter

[​IMG]

14. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

In recent years, Wolverine was an Avenger and an X-man.

15. Mr. Adventure

Dammit, googling this led me to a Brian Cronin article on same and now I've wasted a bunch of time. :) It's like TVTropes, once you accidentally wander in you don't emerge for hours...

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanos says "Drat" in that comic.

Saying "Drat" just ain't cool anymore or else we might see him say it in IW.

The whole thing with putting his name on the copter, that's so the valet can tell it apart from all the others.

17. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part these days college students are either living in a dorm paid for by parents or through scholarship, or are attending college close to home, living with parents or other family. As college tuition has skyrocketed, the paradigm of paying one's way through college while working is not very common these days. If you did a survey of 18-22 year-olds attending college, I doubt you'd find too many who are dealing with the issue of working full-time to pay rent.

Since part of the appeal of the Peter Parker character is as a common guy struggling with day to day concerns, I think that "twenty-something struggling with rent" is better than "high school or college science whiz."

18. Mr. Adventure

Yeah, I guess I don't know the modern situation. I went to college over 20 years ago and my family didn't have much money. Then again, I don't know how much of Peter Parker's problems spoke to the average college student of his day.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we don't see the Thanos Copter, complete with labeling, I'm going to feel robbed, robbed I say!

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

There are still kids working their way through college, just as there were 20 years ago and 40 years ago. My mom did it in the 80s, most of my friends and I did it 10 years ago and I'm doing it again today. Scholarships and grants and government programs at state-run schools make it more than viable for anyone willing to put in the work and keep a job at the same time.