late 24th century ship design

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 24, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Discovery Class
    NCC-85527
    Top view
    http://media3.startrekonline.com.s3.amazonaws.com/img/ships/discovery/Discovery_Topbig.jpg

side view
    http://media3.startrekonline.com.s3.amazonaws.com/img/ships/discovery/Discovery_Leftbig.jpg

front view
    http://media3.startrekonline.com.s3.amazonaws.com/img/ships/discovery/Discovery_Frontbig.jpg
    http://startrekonline.com/ships/discovery

It does look very close to Voyager except for the nacelles location and the 'fins' added.

Intrepid-class USS Voyager (NCC-74656)
    small schematics top, side, front, backhttp://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/warship_voyager.jpg

What do you guys think?
    This whole Star Trek Online thing. I wonder if they will incorporate some of these future century designs in say a Trek #7 series set further in the future?

2. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yech. None for me, thanks. Every ship I've seen from STO that's a game original is just a show/movie design with hideous, hideous modifications made to it. I don't think I've seen a single one yet I didn't just hate. It makes me sad, because I've seen fan designs that are inventive and pretty cool-looking, like the Eximius or Diligent, for example. And I like the Intrepid! But I loathe this thing.

Dear god, I hope not.

3. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

I'm not hugely keen on a ship that is a sitting duck against large unforeseen threats; but that said, those advanced Tractor/Analysis/Support systems on the Discovery class are very interesting, and I think quite promising.

I have never liked the Voyager style of ship as much as the traditional Enterprise-style vessels, and that won't change. If we get a series #7, I want to see more of the Enterprise E. In my opinion, there is no reason why the E model couldn't be taken well into the 25th Century, with a refit or two along the way if producers saw fit.

Nothing to do with the ships per se, but I am also personally itching to see more of Earth culture, economics, and lifestyle. In 40+ years, we still have precious little footage of what the future of San Francisco, or the nature of future industry looks like. Of course, I understand that we can't be on Earth and exploring the stars at the same time; it is just a thought.

4. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

By definition, aren't all ships a sitting duck for large unforseen threats? They're large and unforseen.

There will always be a bigger fish.

5. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

Looks kinda Borg-ish.

6. Doran

Doran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You would think that design factors would include efforts to increase her defensive capabilities at least... extra shield strength, armored hull etc. being a peaceful federation on the road to exploration and discovery. Some of the stuff from STO I like, but not very many.

7. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Dear Gods, that is FUGLY.

Cheers,
    -CM-

8. Blueicus

Blueicus Captain Captain

This design reminds me of that Voyager episode where they design the delta flyer... and Tom Paris adds dynametric tail fins.... these "designers" are like Tom Paris (and not in the good way)

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about a series #6? Why jump to #7?

10. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

I never liked any fan designs or game designs. There is a reason you're "fan designing" and others get paid big bucks to do it.

11. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I agree and at the same time disagree with your statement.

In the trek art forum there are some questionable designs, but at the same time there are many, absolutely stunning ships. These guys do it as a hobby, not for pay. I wish some of these companies would pull from them instead of designing frankenships like the one in the OP.

12. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I wrote:
    BrotherBenny most of us can guess that the next Trek TV series (Series #6) will not be set in a 2500 era. It will probably be set during or after the TOS era to continue to capitalize on the AbrahamsTrekverse after Star Trek XIII. Take a look at the Trek TV series thread discussions in Future of Trek forum.

I am suggesting Series #7 as when they get around to it they may set it in the future like TNG was set in the future from TOS.

13. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow did they get paid to come up with that design? Ugly ugly ugly. As much as ships are built for practical purposes they still got to look nice and like federation ships. Not like voyager's hull had been polarised so much it pulled all the space junk nearby onto the hull

14. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

:rommie: Good one!

I agree that none of the ships we've seen come out for the Federation in ST:O look great at all to be honest. Hopefully the Klingon ships will see more originality, though I'm not holding my breath over it :shifty: