Kirsten (MFing) Beyer writing for the new Star Trek series!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kertrats47, May 30, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I appreciate that. I certainly wouldn't mind contributing a freelance script or two -- TV pays really well compared to books -- but I decided long ago that I don't have the temperament or the energy to become a TV staff writer. And most TV these days is so heavily staff-driven that there's not as much room for freelancers as there used to be.

Vnix and Jinn like this.
  2. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, well, whatever makes you happy, Christopher. It's still good news, though, as we get to have you writing more TrekLit :)

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not familiar with Ms. Beyer's work at all, as I have no interest in VOY, but I can certainly appreciate all the enthusiasm I'm seeing here. I wish her the best, and I look forward to sampling the TV series.

shapeshifter likes this.
  4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vnix and TheAlmanac like this.
  5. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

That honestly wouldn't surprise me. I came home from work and saw everyone worried that Kirsten's Voyager series might be impacted, but this won't be like a standard syndicated or broadcast Trek series. Instead of 22-26 episodes a season it will probably follow the lead of most streaming service/premium cable series and only last 10-15 episode per season. That's only 3-4 months worth of work for the members of the writing staff. I don't know what the rest of Kirsten's workload is like (or the day-to-day semantics of novel writing), but it might be possible for her to do both.

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Dayton Ward said on his Facebook page with regards to this,

"To the best of my knowledge, she will keep writing the books as she's able, though obviously her schedule has been a bit crowded of late. [...] most writers have full-time/day jobs, anyway. Hers is just a lot cooler than most of the rest of us."

Vnix, Jedi Ben, Markonian and 5 others like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was mainly just sticking to authors who I know have written for the Trek TV shows, or at least had TV writing credits. He hasn't actually written for onscreen Trek but Sword of Damocles author, Geoffrey Thorne is also a TV writer, but I'm thinking he's probably to busy with The Librarians to contribute to the new Trek series.
    Peter David has also written for Bablyon 5, and was a co-creator and writer for the kids SF show Space Cases.
    I wonder if the producers are aware of her Voyager novels, or if this whole thing is purely a coincidence? Her Trek wiki pages don't mention her having written for TV before.
    If it's the former, then maybe we could see some more Trek Lit authors writing for the show. That would make me very happy.:techman:
    EDIT: CBR has a story about Kirsten Beyer being hired for the new show, and they even mention the Voyager Relaunch. It would be great if this news brought more attention to Trek Lit.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations @Kirsten Beyer !

Another very encouraging sign for the new Trek series.

9. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Good evening friends,

First, thank you all so much for the enthusiasm and the many kind words. You guys are and always will be the best.

I'm not going to tease you about the new series. There's nothing I am able to tell you apart from the fact that, as you might imagine, I am having the time of my life.

What I can tell you is that this changes nothing about my commitment to continue writing novels. Two have been announced...Architects of Infinity and To Lose the Earth. Both of them have completed and approved outlines so all that remains is for me to finish the manuscripts. Yes, this is the longest part of the process for me, but they will get done. They are going to take a little longer than they might have otherwise, and for that I truly apologize. I know that's not what you want to hear. My editors are being amazing and have given me the time I will need to continue creating the same level of stories you have enjoyed all these years. I am writing as fast as it can. Just not as fast as I used to.

So don't worry. I have no intention of abandoning the work that got me here. It's just going to take a little longer for me to figure out how to balance everything on my plate. Great problems to have, of course. Just challenging.

Be well. I'll be writing.

As always,
    KMFB

Vnix, Gates, Jedi Ben and 33 others like this.
  10. Amalak

Amalak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Congratulations Kirsten, it all sounds so exciting.
    Good Luck and have FUN!

11. Sherlock09

Sherlock09 Cadet Newbie

Congratulations Kirsten. This new series just gets more interesting the more I hear about it. Glad that the Voyager relaucnh will not finishing. Have fun

All the Best Russell R Wilson (Sherlock09)

12. Marika

Marika Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To hear this about Kirsten makes me so happy! Congratulations! I wish I could say i can't wait to see the tv show but of course, CBS being racist with other continents won't let me buy a subscription :S I just hope I won't have to wait that long until someone releases it in Europe.

Jinn likes this.
  13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Congratulations Kirsten, of all the Trek writers, you're one of a few I feel would be brilliant in this medium.

What?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I understand, plans are already in place for the new show to air on TV in countries outside the US, and in this day and age, I can't imagine there being too much of a wait for something like this. Hell, you might even get the episodes same day as they air in the US, that's done with a lot of popular shows these days.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I wouldn't expect anything less.

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe too late to add my congratulations? I presume Kristen is enjoying writing for the new series, so a greater span between novels is all right.

Jinn likes this.
  17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This is great news. Kirsten is one of my absolute favorite writers and i think she'll be a fantastic addition to the TV Trek writing team. Congratualtions @Kirsten Beyer !

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is going to be international distribution, they said this back in November.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Kertrats47 likes this.
  19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I cannot tell you how excited I was when I heard the announcement. Congratulations, you deserve it.

Jinn likes this.
  20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirsten, congratulations. I know you're strong portrayal of women and amazing character development will be an asset to the show.