Jurassic World website opens

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Doctorwhovian, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Reportedly there's going to be a human villain of some sort-although whether it's going to be a Nedry-type or Ludow-type remains to be seen. I think Vincent D'Onfrio plays the bad guy, but he wasn't in the trailer.

In the novels (and also the non-canon Topps comics), the rival genetics company Biosyn (Who hired Nedry) played a somewhat larger role. Wonder if they'll show up.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe the human villain is attached to the chest of the hybrid dinosaur, like Sideshow Bob in the Simpsons Ride.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Tell this to Ray Horn.

It's possible to "train" certain, aggressive, animals but that doesn't mean they're completely trained, domesticated or even docile. Plenty of "trained" animals that haven't been domesticated have snapped and maimed or killed people.

And going with the logic established in the other Jurassic Park movies Raptors should be pretty much impossible to train considering they were said to be very, very smart almost to the point of having intelligence, capable of communication, and theorized by Grant to potentially be the dominating species on the planet were it not for the ELE that wiped them out. Yes, JP3 was dumb in suggesting this but it's in the "continuity" of the movie series so there it is.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You just ignore what you don't like from the past movies. I think everyone is over thinking the teaser.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Thanks, and great article. :techman:

I'll have you know that I am at the top of my field, Dinosaur Trainers Association of Pangaea certified, and have extensive experience in dino-whispering (see photo below), which is how I know that raptors are undomesticatable killing machines. There are no raptor whisperers, because the raptors ate their tongues. They're more like raptor mumblers now. So there. That didn't go the way you expected it to, did it?

[​IMG]

My objection is not so much to the idea that a raptor could possibly be trained, it's just that it removes the air of menace from them and makes them cool raptor squad sidekicks for Andy from Parks & Rec while he in his serious Burt Macklin, FBI mode. It's like turning the wolves from The Gray (AKA Wolfpuncher) into the sled dogs from that shitty Cuba Gooding movie Snow Dogs. Sure, it can be done, but it's a lot less scary if you do.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye, but what's the alternative? As I've said before...

You want the dinos to have a prominent role, but they're just lizards - not exactly deep characters; even the smartest of them is no doubt dumber than your average dog.

You want them to be awesome; this means eating lots of of other dinos and people, but not too many of your protagonists' people, because then you start to dislike the dinos, and you go to a dino movie to love them.

Moreover, there's just no such thing as a fair fight between humans and dinos - if the humans are unarmed, the dinos win, period; if the humans have guns, especially automatic guns and RPGs, humans win, period.

So, to have dinos be awesome, you need a story in which they chase humans around, but not for too long, because dinos outrun humans, unless the humans are in vehicles, in which case they outrun the dinos. And you don't really want the humans to fight back with guns, but they can't fight back without them. And humans can strategize, but dinos can't; they just follow their instincts and eat stuff.

Sounds like a hell of a screenwriting challenge to me... :p

I mean, I'd also love to see something completely new, say, a Before Sunrise-ish rom-com about two crazy young people falling in love over a long weekend that just happens to take place in a fully functioning Jurassic World. Heck, such a movie might - might - make its budget back... but the movie we are getting is gonna make a lot more than that one ever would. ;)

7. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We saw the beginnings of this in Jurassic Park III (as much as I fucking HATE that movie). Dr. Grant had success in using the raptor voice echo chamber to tell the raptors to fuck off and take their egg with them (which was done without the raptors snapping their necks/mauling them, which already started making them look like pussies). It only stands to reason the company that started Jurassic World probably consulted with Dr. Grant and others to perfect the raptor language and make communication somewhat possible in the fourteen years between JPIII and World.

It's also possible the company tampered with the velociraptor DNA to make them less aggressive, since the park would be open to thousands of visitors a day and I'm pretty sure insurance companies might have a problem with liability issues if a park attraction disemboweled its clients.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well yeah, if I knew THAT before I made my post...... ;)

9. Doctorwhovian

Sorry to bump this, but some promo material reveals the look of the hybrid (as well as the T-rex which pretty much looks the same as in the other movies):

https://twitter.com/SuperheroFeed/status/555526551760945152/photo/1
    The design-the horns and the bumbs on it's skin- kind of reminds me a bit of the real Dinosaur Carnotaurus (Although with longer arms and a larger head), which has never showed up in the films but did appear in the climax of the second and final Crichton novel The Lost World. It's rumored that this Dinosaur has chameleon like abilities, which is kind of similar to the Carnos in the book. It also seems to have some of the look of the JP3 Raptors.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I really had little interest in recent Jurassic Park sequels, but after watching Jurassic Park on Bluray for the first time on the new tv, it's been rekindled. It was a long time ago, but really a wonder of film-making and a genuine breakthrough.

I suppose it's logical that if you can clone dinos, you can create new ones. Should've used that plot in the first sequel!

RAMA

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That looks pretty cool. I thought they might go for something really weird looking for the hybrid, but that looks like a pretty logical outgrowth of its component dinosaurs.

12. Doctorwhovian

The Jurassic World website has updated again, this time with profiles of the Dinosaurs among other things:

http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/

A few interesting notes-Although Spinosaurus itself is not present (apart from the skeleton near the visitor's center) it's close relatives Baryonx and Suchimimus are. Maybe it was killed after the Jurassic Park III events, and maybe it's DNA was used for additional material for it's 'family'.

Also it mentions that the T-rex has been living on Nublar for over twenty-five years, which could mean that it's the exact same T-rex as seen in the original movie.

Velociraptor, Parasaurlophus and Pachycephalosaurus are mentioned but they don't have profiles yet. The raptors of course are present in the trailers, not sure about Parasaurlophus (which had a cameo in the first film but is better known from the sequels) and Pachycephalosaurus (Who appeared briefly in The Lost World).

They've also brought in Microceratus, Apatosaurus and Edmontosaurus, who I believe were in the first book (The Apatosaurs were replaced in the films by Brachiosaurus and mamenchiasaurus). Baryonx and Metricanthosaurus were also present on the park map and DNA chamber which Nedry stole.

Also the Dilophosaurus is not present, although it has been seen in the movie's merchandise. Then again the merchandise is hardly an indicator of what's in the film, especially with the Jurassic Park figures which often featured several Dinosaurs not present in any of the films. (Although in an interesting twist Hasbro's TLW line had a Spinosaurus, but one based on an earlier reconstruction of the Dinosaurs)

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love that park map! If there's two things I love it's theme parks and maps!

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa, lot of cool stuff on that website! And your post made me do a lot of dino-googling, Doctorwhovian! I think it's been a bit too long since I was 8 and knew everything about dinosaurs.

Maybe (hopefully) when they finish the Velociraptor entry we'll get an explanation of why they're the size of Utahraptors instead of waist-high.

15. Doctorwhovian

I think part of the reason might be that they seemed to be patterned on Deinonychus, which was the popular Dromeosaur before JP showed up. It's worth noting that one of the SFX guys on Jurassic Park was Phil Tippet, who was originally hired to create stop-motion dinosaurs for the film, did memorable stop-motion Deinonychus for the Dinosaur! special in the mid 80s, hosted by Christopher Reeve.

Velociraptor of course sounds a lot 'cooler' I suppose, maybe why Crichton chose it (Although I think his novel Raptors are described as closer to the actual creature), despite the real life Raptors kind of being 'meh'.

16. B.J.

But even Deionychus, while bigger than Velociraptor, is still barely waist-high. Must be that frog DNA messing with things.... ;)

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Or maybe the raptor is that big because it's a sci-fi movie. It's like when the movie makers had to come out and defend that their 'dinosaurs' have no feathers. They explain that these 'dinosaurs' aren't dinosaurs, they are monsters created to look like what everyone pictures dinosaurs to look like.

Everyone pictures raptors to be huge, so they made them huge.

18. Doctorwhovian

They did make some changes in JP3 that featured sort of some kind of quills on the back of the head but that's as far as they went with the feathers I think.

Of course one of the most major deviations from actual dinosaurs were the Dilophosaurus (or "spitter" as mentioned in licensing). While despite the venom the novel's Dinosaur was described pretty close to the actual dinosaur, the movie shrunk it to a small size and added the weird neck frill (Which has been seen on several non-JP Dinosaur related things, unfortunately).

19. B.J.

I like to think that one Dilophosaur we saw was a juvenile.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]