is q squared a good book?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tmosler, May 7, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jack has no right to complain about who his EX-wife spends her time with. If Jack really was Picard's friend, he'd have understood.

borgboy likes this.
  2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Exactly. People don't own each other. Not only did Jack have no claim on Beverly, but his reaction to her relationship with Picard...extreme is barely the word. I've never been able to think of Jack as the nice guy we always hear about after reading this book.

3. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Well in all fairness Trelane was upping the crazy so any minor problems Jack may have had were turned into major ones.

GaryH likes this.
  4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I remember in Voyages of the Imagination he said one of his biggest difficulties was telling the characters apart from their alternate-timeline counterparts when they all got together. On tv it would have been easy as the uniforms could be subtley different or haircuts but in the written word it was much more difficult conveying to the reader which Picard was in the scene.
    Ultimately I think he did a great job of working it all out.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, thanks for the info guys.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Actually I would call it "Kraftwerk."

7. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

George Harrison was cool with his ex-wife Patti Boyd getting married to his best friend Eric Clapton. He had some statement to the effect of, "I'd rather she was with him than some jerk." I think Harrison might have even best man at their wedding, IIRC. I have a thing in my stand-up act about it.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It happens. Most people in life don't act rationally when their ex start dating their best friends. That's why we have Investigation Discovery.

9. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Jonny's point is that no it's not "nobody", and no you don't have to be "ridiculously understanding". Just the normal amount of understanding is fine for being okay with it enough to not scream and raise a fuss and accidentally kill your ex-wife.

borgboy likes this.
  10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And Starbreakers point is.......

Actually, instead of arrogantly and condescendingly assuming I know what he meant, I'd rather here what he meant, same with Jonny too.

11. JonnyQuest037

My point was simply that there are people who are that understanding and forgiving in the world.

OCD Geek, Mr. Laser Beam and borgboy like this.
  12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only was Harrison a guest at Clapton and Boyd's wedding, but Paul McCartney, Harrison, and Ringo Starr played a live set!

One other interesting Harrison/Clapton/Boyd piece of trivia. Sir John Hurt was the witness at the guitar-off where Harrison and Clapton dueled with guitars over whether Boyd would stay with Harrison or leave him for Clapton. Hurt and Harrison had been close friends since the late 60s.

13. JonnyQuest037

That's interesting, I've never heard that before.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reasonably sure it says right in the book that Trelane was manipulating Jack toward being more crazy than he might have been otherwise as well. Put another way, Jack wasn't going to stay sane because Trelane didn't want him to.

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

16. JonnyQuest037

Hmm. I wasn't aware that Harrison had produced any films before he put together Handmade to finance Monty Python's The Life of Brian. I'm learning all sorts of George Harrison trivia in this thread! :techman:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm OK with that.

And besides, Trelane - being a Q - can simply make people crazy if he wants, amirite?

18. JonnyQuest037

Interesting question, but I would guess no. I can't recall ever seeing any indication that Q could or would mess with someone's free will. If he could, episodes like TNG's "True Q" or VOY's "Death Wish" seem fairly pointless. Q just makes the people do what he wants them to, and zap, episode's over. So I'm guessing that perhaps Q isn't quite as omnipotent as he likes to pretend.

Unless you mean that Trelane could manipulate Jack Crusher into going crazy. That I could totally see.

19. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

What about when Amanda made Riker love her briefly in "True Q"? That's kind of into that area.

20. JonnyQuest037

I haven't seen either of those episodes in well over a decade, so if that happened, I totally forgot about it and I stand corrected.

Just taking a stab in the dark at an explanation, maybe that was some sort of adolescent Q power that they only have for a short period of time?