Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 23, 2012.

1. HotRod

HotRod Commander Red Shirt

Re: Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation

Yeah, but can 10 minutes of interactive comics really make up for 80+ hours of missed gameplay? The answer is no.

2. Reverend

Reverend Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Exactly. Of course the developers are saying it's totally fine to pick up the series with ME3, they don't want to alienate new potential customers, they do want to attract as many sales as possible. Indeed, they'd be both crazy and stupid to do otherwise.

I don't doubt that they've put a lot of effort into making sure the uninitiated are quickly clued in on the essentials, there's no way that a new player can appreciate the nuances in the same way a veteran can. To them, their first trip to the citadel will be a new experience. To us (I'm assuming most of us have played 1&2) it'll be a nostalgic experience to visit this and other familiar locations.

Same goes for all the returning characters. A new player may be told who they are and get a good feel for their personality, there can't be the same degree of familiarity and recognition that a returning player will feel. Not just the squadmates either, but the inevitable cameos from ancillary characters such as...well we don't know for sure yet, but I'm sure we can take a good guess at a few of them. One in particular is probably destined to get (yet another) smack in the mush. ;)

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

So ME3 is out and in regards to the question is Mass Effect the Most Important Sci Fi Universe of Our Generation...

Bioware took a giant crap on the ME universe