Interesting minor Enterprise crewmembers

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Mar 1, 2024.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On The Six Million Dollar Man, Paul Carr played a criminal's henchman. Instead of getting killed himself, he accidentally kills his boss, Malachi Throne. This was in "The Bionic Woman, Part 2."

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was the Sean Bean of the Sixties and Seventies.
    I wonder how many people realize Gene Roddenberry was 6'4" in an era when the average adult man was 5'7".

3. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Had there been additional time yesterday I'd have brought up Bill Paxton's considerable deaths rivalling Paul Winfield's.
    I believe four Paxton movie characters bought it in 1990 alone.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I could have watched Lt. Palmer in more than 2 eps.

Or the Elisha Cook, Jr. -- from the 1930s through the early '60s, as soon as you saw his face, you knew his character had a poor chance of still being alive by the time "THE END" appeared on the screen.

5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MA says her role was originally written for Uhura (same position). Pity there weren't any personality/personal information lines written (one that made sense in context, not just random infodrops.)

6. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Captain Captain

Memory Alpha claims there are several, if you do not accept that the same actors may have been portraying multiple red-shirts. I think that we need to just accept that there is some kind of error in dialogue and that Leslie did not die in the episode "Obession."

On that note, it might have been nice to have him in that episode in the place of Rizzo, and just let him live.

In my view, she was the ship's counselor, and Kirk just never replaced her. It sort helps balance with the fact that TNG has a command crew structure with offical ship's counselors, but TOS does not. Of course, on the other hand, outside of Project Pathfinder it is hard to find a communications officer in the TNG-era.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

When you asked "Which minor (not one of the seven main characters, Rand, or Chapel) should have appeared in more episodes?" I didn't get the sense that an already-established backstory was a prerequisite.

8. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Not already, exactly, but something that gave you a sense of who they were/might be.

9. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

It's a bit embarrassing that Sulu and Uhura were given their first names far later than Chekov, Rand, Chapel and the highest ranking officers were. (Spock has an excuse here, I suppose.)

10. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Sulu and Uhura interacted on a personal level with characters who might be close enough to call them by their first names a lot less. Christine and Janice developed close relationships with their bosses, that of boss and assistant, someone to rely on regularly.

11. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Sulu and Uhura could certainly have interacted with each other (in non-MIRROR MIRROR ways) and revealed their first names in the process. But they didn't appear to exist until 1982ish, and I believe they were first used in a TREK II ''biographies'' tie-in book. That's why Rand calls Sulu Sulu in MAN TRAP and Chapel calls Uhura Uhura in THE CHANGELING.

12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That makes me wonder if people thought Kirk was going to need a new lawyer before the end of the episode.

13. Laura Cynthia Chambers

[​IMG]
    "Yes?...What century?...10:00?...I'll be there."

wayne66 likes this.