Illogical comic book logic

His injuries right now are semi-psychological. The second time he lost the ability to walk it was because he fought the Shadow King on the Astral Plane and his legs there were broken to the point they'd never heal properly. His psychic injuries meant that as long as he had his mental powers his body would believe that his legs have been broken irreparably. So it's not that his spine is damaged it's just that his legs were broken and won't heal right (although physically they're still fine).

So Professor X is such a powerful telepath that he's actually psychically convinced his own body that it's incurably crippled? That's kind of awesome, in a weird way.

Yeah, it is kind of cool. But technically it's the combined power of Professor X and the Shadow King that's convinced his body he's crippled.

One would think that Reed could cure Alicia and Daredevil's blindness with cybernetic eyes.

FF: Big Town took on the issue....In DC's Starman, Jack chides his father for having the tech to invent the gravity rod...but not expanding and applying the tech to solving the more mundane, everyday type of problems. He agree's to take his fathers Starman mantle if his father will develop the tech for the betterment of humanity.

Also, when Kurt Busiek created the realistic Astro City, he flat out stated that while he would have advanced tech, the world would not be affected by it anymore than in the Marvel and DC universes because it would bear little to no resemblance to the world we live in. As such, it would be harder to relate to.

Again...I thought Charles has been walking around in the comics lately? I like the idea of it being some kind of psychic trauma that is keeping him from walking.

One would think that Reed could cure Alicia and Daredevil's blindness with cybernetic eyes.
That's the thought I was thinking as well. They have a huge humanoid from the edge of the Universe devouring entire planet's energies and Earth-sciences to defeat that ancient evil, yet they can't get Matt Murdock to request Reed Richards to create visual accute implants for him? :lol:

FF: Big Town took on the issue....In DC's Starman, Jack chides his father for having the tech to invent the gravity rod...but not expanding and applying the tech to solving the more mundane, everyday type of problems. He agree's to take his fathers Starman mantle if his father will develop the tech for the betterment of humanity.

Also, when Kurt Busiek created the realistic Astro City, he flat out stated that while he would have advanced tech, the world would not be affected by it anymore than in the Marvel and DC universes because it would bear little to no resemblance to the world we live in. As such, it would be harder to relate to.

I've really always kind of wondered how true that assertion was. On the one hand, you've got stuff like Star Trek, which especially TNG and forward is ridiculously advanced, but plenty of people manage to relate to it (and, for what it's worth, perhaps several million more than manage to relate to the DC or Marvel universes :( ). On the other hand, and looking into comics specifically, you have the history of relative commercial failure that is the Legion of Super-Heroes, so maybe it's right.

And yet, when you read something like FF, how often does what the outside world looks and acts like matter? You're dealing with a super-scientist protagonist fighting super-scientist antagonists or giant space gods, and all you see just about is crazy future fake technology. I mean, I guess it's just for the benefit of Spider-Man that we don't see the personal jetpacks and daily commutes to Mars.

I think high-technology could work all right in a universe more like the DCU, though. You don't have that glut of street-level doofi, like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and so forth, whose settings would be ruined, except for Batman, and Batman is already a super-scientist anyway.

The DC and Marvel Universes will never extrapolate all their discoveries and inventions in a Science Fiction-like way. Their premise is for the setting to remain as close to the real world as possible, with the fantastic elements super-imposed. In fact, if only a small fraction of what has been written about existed, the world would be changed beyond belief.

Marvel did do a series based around this idea, it was called Fantastic Four: Big Town and was written by Steve Englehart. I believe it was meant to be six issues but was cut down to four issue mini.
Yeah, I remember that one. Englehart is one of my favorite writers.

Oh, I just remembered that this is the principal plot-thread in Planetary too--Warren Ellis pretty brilliantly assumed that any world left unchanged by science of Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four would necessarily require for Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four to be evil.
Yes, indeed. What a great series that was.

Generally speaking, yeah, it was pretty awesome. I have my problems with its ending; and even deeper ones with how Warren Ellis essentially got bored with it* and then had the nerve to get really annoyed when people he apparently wished to bilk out of about fifty bucks were bothered that it took him ten years of work and five years of cajoling to write the ending. Also the occasional problem with John Cassaday, who is also great, make no mistake, getting characters badly off-model, especially Jakita. (Yet never, of course, the Drummer. :p )**

And I still can't exactly tell if 27, the epilogue, is just good or actually kind of great, though.

*And had an illness, yeah. But he wasn't too sick to do a bunch of other stuff in the meantime, and frankly it's not like Planetary was a really complex, Watchmen-hard story at its heart. It had a shitton of secondary material to include--which is what made it interesting--but after issue 12 and especially after the Opak Re issue it was no longer a mystery story, and hence seems like it would have been rather straightforward to conclude, especially given how Ellis did conclude the Snow/Dowling conflict in 26, which was in a manner straightforward-to-a-fault, with an anticlimax so fierce and a final battle so poorly done it was likely intentional--either as a fuck you to whiners, a complete lack of care, or as a deliberate thematic choice, it's hard to say. You can argue all pretty effectively.

**You know, I probably wouldn't even mention that kind of needling crap for an artist of a lesser caliber, to be honest. I mean, if Greg Land's tracing Sierra Sinn for Susan Storm one minute and Sasha Gray the next, I don't complain, because I know he's a hack. Cassaday by contrast is one of the best working artists, so when he doesn't do his best, it shows more. High expectations are kind of a double-edged sword, I suppose.

His injuries right now are semi-psychological. The second time he lost the ability to walk it was because he fought the Shadow King on the Astral Plane and his legs there were broken to the point they'd never heal properly. His psychic injuries meant that as long as he had his mental powers his body would believe that his legs have been broken irreparably. So it's not that his spine is damaged it's just that his legs were broken and won't heal right (although physically they're still fine).

So Professor X is such a powerful telepath that he's actually psychically convinced his own body that it's incurably crippled? That's kind of awesome, in a weird way.

It's actually a really good idea. Wish I'd thought of that one :D

So basically it's a software problem.

:lol:

Charles was walking again after the whole Cassandra Nova thing; not sure of how many times he's been back in the chair (or out of it) since.

He was walking because of some placebo thing Magneto did to him, then he removed it later on so Charles was crippled again.

While we're on the subject, I've often thought that Bruce Wayne could combat crime far more effectively if he'd take that money he spends on crimefighting equipment and invested it in job programs, infrastructure repair, education and after-school activities for inner-city kids, psychological services for fired employees of high-tech companies or victims of disfiguring accidents, etc.

You're right, he would. But if he did that he wouldn't get the sadistic childish pleasure of beating up thugs with his bare hands that he's craved since he was a little boy and enjoys dishing out as much as he can. He isn't all that altruistic when you think about it.

Wouldn't be a particular fun comic to read.

BATMAN, INC. #2
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by YANICK PAQUETTE& MICHAEL LACOMBE
1:25 Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

The dynamic new era of Batman continues! Bruce Wayne considers the possible impact of rent control on social housing. Meanwhile, Dick Grayson attends a charity function intended to highlight the issues of baby milk usage in the third world.

Oh, I just remembered that this is the principal plot-thread in Planetary too--Warren Ellis pretty brilliantly assumed that any world left unchanged by science of Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four would necessarily require for Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four to be evil.

During Simonson's run, Sue asked why Reed could invent all this other stuff but couldn't invent a completely automated laundry system. (She was grumpy after doing a bunch of laundry, of course.)

His response was, "I tried that once, but I couldn't get rid of the phosphates! Besides, imagine how many Chinese laundries in New York City it would put out of business. No, some things are just too dangerous to tamper with!"

At that point she nearly decked him.

Barbara will never walk again because The Holy Alan Moore wrote the story that crippled her and fanboys would lose their shit if DC dared undo His Works. Even though Moore never really thought she would stay crippled forever.

I guess Holy Moore is the only guy that could write about her getting better. Come on man, you won't live forever.

While we're on the subject, I've often thought that Bruce Wayne could combat crime far more effectively if he'd take that money he spends on crimefighting equipment and invested it in job programs, infrastructure repair, education and after-school activities for inner-city kids, psychological services for fired employees of high-tech companies or victims of disfiguring accidents, etc.

Its possible that a part of his money does go to these things. I think there were some Wayne fondations or charities, but I can't remeber the details.

Barbara will never walk again because The Holy Alan Moore wrote the story that crippled her and fanboys would lose their shit if DC dared undo His Works. Even though Moore never really thought she would stay crippled forever.

Actually, there have been numerous interviews with DC execs about this - Barbara is unlikely to walk again because she represents a disabled superhero, which is considered a highly politically correct casting coup, so to speak.

Well it is good to present disabled people making a positive contribution.

That Batman idea would probably make a pretty funny Elseworlds, if they're still doing that sort of thing.

Generally speaking, yeah, it was pretty awesome. I have my problems with its ending; and even deeper ones with how Warren Ellis essentially got bored with it
Yeah, almost like Lost, the ending was underwhelming, but the journey was fantastic. :mallory:

Wouldn't be a particular fun comic to read.

BATMAN, INC. #2
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by YANICK PAQUETTE& MICHAEL LACOMBE
1:25 Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

The dynamic new era of Batman continues! Bruce Wayne considers the possible impact of rent control on social housing. Meanwhile, Dick Grayson attends a charity function intended to highlight the issues of baby milk usage in the third world.

:lol::lol:

I love the fact there would be variant covers.

Back