Human Target: Season 2 on FOX - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The theme sucked, but soundtracks never make or break a show for me. I really don't get the obsession people have about that kind of crap, but c'est la vie.

That said, I agree that the resolution to last season was way too fast and abrupt. I don't understand why they thought they needed to change the show so drastically, but again, such is life. Despite that, I enjoyed the episode and liked both of the new characters, though I hope the billionaress stays in the distant background as a silent benefactor.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope not, she's too pretty to be in the background! :)

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

They're a part of the TV experience and a good soundtrack can really elevate a show. In fact, in rare cases, it can even tell the story.

I agree. It'll be fun to see a rich powerful woman on the show with cool cars and jets and stuff.

4. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

This.

McCreary's music elevated this show. Without it......mmmmm. I'll still watch it but I'll mute the volume for the opening title sequence.

5. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, I just watched the episode today. And all I can say after all this "wailing and gnashing of teeth" over the theme music, for pete's sake, it's not THAT different. And it sure as hell didn't make the show any different.

Geez, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think some of you need to switch to decaff.

EDIT TO ADD: I apologize, I shouldn't have said that. My sincere apology to anyone I offended.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was nice to see it again, but unlike Burn Notice, Bones or Psych this show just doesn't fully reconnect after a long pause. In fact, I barely noticed its return and didn't really miss it either.

7. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Precisely. All I really cared about was whether or not Guerrero was still a bad-ass... and I was more than satisfied!

And did anybody else think we were looking at Agent Barnes slinking along in the grey dress after Ames stripped off her disguise and rejoined the party?
    Janet Montgomery looked a whole lot like Emmanuelle Vaugier in that one shot, IMHO.

8. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I agree completely. The edit not included.

9. gh4chiefs

Well I was reacting to what I perceived to be an overreaction about the changed theme. I don't know exactly what I expecting when I sat down to watch it, but based on some of the terms being thrown around like "horror" and "abomination" I thought it must have been something drastic. Then I watched it, and I was like "THIS is what's got people so stirred up? :eek:"

And this concept of the theme music elevating a show was absolutely foreign to me. I having a hard time grasping that concept.

However in reaction to the perceived overreaction, I too overreacted. I still don't understand the point of view, but if people really feel put off by the new theme, then that's their right. I don't get it, but I accept it.

10. Forbin

Sorry, nobody looks like Emmanuelle Vaugier. :drool:

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't just the theme; it was the score during the rest of the show, too.

The songs & new style of score are... sonic wallpaper. They cover a hole in the sound mix but they don't contribute anything positive to the show anymore.

Rick Berman has won. :borg:

12. gh4chiefs

See, I'm not even away of the music score during a show, it's just there. I'm sure if it wasn't there, then yeah I would probably notice that, but it's just background to me that doesn't affect how I feel about what's on the screen.

I suppose if it were REALLY truly horrendous, MAYBE I'd notice, but I kind of doubt it.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was worried that they'd tone it down since they added women characters boost female viewership. Glad to see they kept Guerrero the same old bad ass as last season.

14. Forbin

They didn't need to add females to boost female viewership. My wife liked the show because she liked the existing characters. In fact, why would she want to look at attractive women? That's MY job.

15. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you hum the theme or music from any of the following?

Star Wars
    Super Mario Bros.
    Lost
    Lord of the Rings
    Star Trek
    Back to the Future

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I'm not saying music can break a show, movie or game but it can certainly elevate it.

16. gh4chiefs

Only Star Trek and Star Wars. I'm sorry, but I just can't agree. A theme cannot make a bad show good or a good show bad. If someone is watching or not watching a show because of the theme song, well then the show has not done it's job with the story, actors, direction, etc.

17. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

While this discussion started about Human Target's opening theme, the change to the music also includes the background music during the show. While I agree that music isn't the sole determinant of a show/film/game being good or bad, it is more important than a lot of people give it credit for (hence the comment about Rick Berman winning earlier in this thread).

There's simply no way you're going to convince me that the soundtrack didn't make a difference in films like Star Wars, Back to the Future or the Indiana Jones trilogy--do you think people would remember Rick Berman-esque "sonic wallpaper" in place of these iconic themes? The music added an epic feeling to enhance good movies in these cases, which is the point here.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Chance hires himself as a bodyguard to a woman who he realizes is the widow of a man he was forced to kill seven years ago. Meanwhile, Ilsa discovers the secret of Chance's business, while Ames persists in getting Guerrero to take her on as an assistant.

19. gh4chiefs

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. The Star Wars theme didn't do much to elevate episodes 1-3 now did it? No, those movies sucked relative to the original, but what do you know, they used the same theme. And had any of the movies you mentioned actually sucked ass, the themes and background music wouldn't have saved it. Those movies were GOOD if not great movies, period. Good themes and music was just icing on the cake. Hell I don't even remember the BTF theme if you want to know the truth, but I loved the movies.

For the record, I actually like good theme songs. I have a quite a few on my Ipod. But if the movie/tv show sucks, the theme ain't gonna save it. Period. Or if the show is good, like I felt Human Target was last week, the change in theme and music sure as hell didn't matter one iota. And anyone who chose not to watch it/like it because of the new music, well that's their loss IMHO.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2x02 was pretty good. When the woman had the gun pointed at Chance and he confessed to killing the her husband, I thought... Bad move, she might shoot you out of anger. Then sure enough...