How important is social networking for you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Albus Severus, May 24, 2013.

1. RJDemonicus

RJDemonicus Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Jun 11, 2003
    RJDiogenes of Boston
    I'm on Facebook, but I use it infrequently. It's too impersonal for me; for socializing, I prefer a nice little forum.

It's useful as a central clearinghouse of friends and family, though. I have people on there from two old jobs and my current job, various acquaintances from online forums and a bunch of relatives, some of whom I only see a couple of times a year in real life. So it's good to have if I have an announcement that I want to get to everybody, and it's a good way for people to get a message to me.
  2. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

May 22, 2013
    I use FB to show everyone my beautiful pets mostly. Also I use it as a photo bucket. And for uni... And remembering b-days. And to brag about my camel collection.

But I'm more fond of forums, online gaming and talking to people I don't know IRL. It's fun to talk to people from outside of my life. People from other countries and parts of the world..

I don't understand the point of twitter. I do use Instagram to post pics of my pets and to look at dogs.
  3. Albus Severus

Albus Severus Vice Admiral Admiral

Jan 9, 2002
    I deleted three more FB contacts today (my nephew and two nieces). :lol:

I've tried to delete the primary account a number of times, but the stupid thing keeps getting reactivated when I log in to one of my devices (laptop, tablet, smartphone). I figured I should start deleting the people I dislike the most or have zero communication with.
  4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Dec 13, 1999
    NJ, USA
    Took me a long time to use my Twitter account but now I use it more than Facebook. Basically I use it for 4 things: Fitness account, science-tech, sf and news. Many times I have gotten news reports local and national before it appears anywhere else. I get inside info first from Twitter, and I have hundreds of like-minded fit people there too.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Feb 7, 2006
    Hill for Hill
    ^This. I only have three or four people I would consider friends and my family contact me directly. I'm not a social person, so this site is all the "socializing" I'm likely to do.