Hogan's Heroes....

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I gotta say I also have a soft spot for a lot of the music in HH. Of course we're talking about a time when music for television was often memorable.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

McHale first appeared in a episode of Alcoa Playhouse called "Seven Against the Sea".

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, the music for Hogan's Heroes really sets the tone. It makes me nostalgic, and I wasn't even alive in the 1960s. :lol:

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One thing I can't help but notice occasionally in some episodes. They sometimes use each other's names right in front of people they are leaving behind alive. You don't think those people will be questioned later and someone just might remember names being used? I know it's a comedy, but c'mon.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I see that a lot in similar shows, even more recent shows. People, for some reason, using each others names openly, as if the gaurd/baddie won't hear them saying it. Still, it's a minor thing, really.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Presactly. There was always an undercurrent that Klink was a decent guy, forced into a job he didn't want, who genuinely liked and respected Hogan as a fellow officer.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If there had been a finale episode, with the camp liberated, Hogan probably would have smuggled out Klink and Schultz disguised as POW's.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This was done (more or less) in the fanfic stories each in their own way. In both stories Klink and Shultz realize (as they have suspected for quite some time) that they have more in common with Hogan and his crew than those in the German military. It's bolstered by Hogan's fears for their safety as Allied liberation forces are making their way across Germany and some of them doing some unpleasant things to captured German personnel. It's an interesting touch of realism that, of course, would never have been referenced in the series.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I wonder if Hogan would have taken Klink's houskeeper Frau Kalinke with them.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've seen the entire series recently. Klink didn't have a housekeeper. He did have secretaries: first Fraulien Helga (first season) and then Fraulein Hilda.

Some interesting background to the characters of Klink and Shultz. Klink seemed to like to pass himself off as something of a member of German aristocracy, but at one point he actually says he was a book keeper before the war. And while Shultz impresses as very much middle class he does reveal that prior to the war he owned a toy factory which was taken over by the Nazis for armaments production and Shutlz was drafted. Both Klink and Shultz reveal they had fought in WW1 when they were younger.

11. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

He did have a houskeeper, only she was just added as an off-screen character in the German dub.
    Hogan often makes fun of Klink's sexual relationship with her.

Through the added humour in the dub, the show is actually way more funny than in the original English.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Which doesn't count since the series was an American production and in the language it was intended and written for no such housekeeper existed. And there were no references to offscreen housekeepers either. Klink had eyes on his secretaries only he could never get anywhere with them.

13. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Sure it counts - for the German-language version, which add a new layer of comedy through its use of dialects, off-screen characters and added dialogue-sequences.
    In my opinion Ein Käfig voller Helden is a better sitcom than Hogan's Heroes, even though they are both the same show.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Whatever.

If anyone writes a story set in within context of the series they would certainly be better off referring to the original source material rather than something adlibbed adding things that were never there in the first place.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I listed some of the differences in the German dub in my earlier post.

I wouldn't judge one version better than the other, though. For starters, I haven't actually seen HH in the original version, and there might well be some humor which was lost in translation (as is often the case in German dubs). HH offered the opportunity for the dub to make up for it with humor that isn't in the original, esp. the dialects.

Case in point, I'd see no harm in mentioning Frau Kalinke in a fanfic, or even an official novel continuation. It's not like the original version explicitely say that there was no Frau Kalinke, is it?!

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd actually be very interested in the German version, except that I wouldn't understand it.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, for a taste of it, there are entire episodes of the German dub up on YouTube. Just search for "ein kaefig voller helden".

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'll check it out, too. It sounds interesting! :D

EDIT: I've just watched part of one episode, and from the music alone, I think it's definitely more whimsical than the original. The vocal styles of the dubs lend to that theory as well.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Translation: Hamlet is best in the original Klingon.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Watching the 6th and final season there's a different feel to the show. Firstly, Kinchloe (Ivan Dixon) is gone and replaced by another character called Baker. It's a switch that isn't addressed at all. Secondly except for opening credits theme the music is different and isn't as signature as the previous seasons, at least in my opinion.