Hey, everyone! DRG's DS9 novel after Sacraments is called ASCENDANCE!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Hey, everyone! DRG's DS9 novel after Sacraments is called ASCENDA

I read the title an hour ago on The Trek Collective but didn't make the obvious connection. Duhhh!! Now that you point it out, Thrawn...

I'M SO EXCITED ALSO!!!!!!

3. BuckBokai

BuckBokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

In that article Margaret Clark is also quoted at saying "Because of what happened in The Fall, Starfleet told [Sisko] you can't go out and explore the Gamma Quadrant, we need you here. "
    That's also big news and honestly exactly what I've been hoping for. I'd love to see him made an Admiral stationed at DS9 and using Robinson as his flagship. Anyway, that article is def worth a look and filled with lots of great gems!
    Really excited about that title though, can't wait!

4. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really, I'm getting annoyed that it's going to take this long to fill in the few-week gap of the 2013 novels Revelation and Dust and A Ceremony of Losses. And in the meantime we've gotten The Missing and Disavowed presumably set after Sacraments of Fire and Ascendance. :klingon:

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This is exactly what happened to me. I read it, thought "oh good we're getting the next one really soon", and then like an hour later I thought "Ascendance is a cool title too. Wait ASCENDANCE? ASCENDANCE?!" and started happy dancing.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hilarious!

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

If this is actually what we're all kinda assuming, then mere words are not sufficient, and I have to go with:

:cool: :D :techman: :D :mallory: :D :techman: :D :cool:

If, however, this is just a big tease because DRGIII knows what we would assume, and he is actually going to deliver something entirely different, then... :shifty: well played, sir, well played. :lol:

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah fuck.

Now I really have to make sure my stuff is finished and out first.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Misdirection. I bet it's really about Kira climbing an epic flight of holy stairs on Bajor.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since there isn't a separate thread, so we discuss anything from that article in this thread? Because, the news revealed there that has me excited is that Greg Cox's next TOS novel is set in the Pike era!

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I noticed that too! I was going to skip it originally, as I believed it was a 5YM TOS story, but if it's a Pike era book about Spock (I assume with that title), then I'm in :)

12. langdonboom

langdonboom Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wait, are we assuming that this is going to somehow fill in the 'missing 5 years or so' after Soul Key - in which case

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

But how does the "directly after Bacco's assassination" blurb lead us to think that Ascension might be 'Ascendants'?

I'm hopeful, but those blurbs seem to suggest possibly otherwise?

13. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I've been saying the same thing about Sisko! I really hope this is the kind of thing they have in mind for him! Nice to see DS9 coming back in full force.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the "directly after Bacco's assassination" line was in reference to Sacraments of Fire?

15. langdonboom

Yeah, it is but I guess the next words "the follow up" are throwing me - and the part where it says "Margaret revealed the books will be set quite shortly after The Fall and will pick up on many of the threads from that crossover event, and how the crew of the new DS9 react to the historic events."

That seems to suggest they'll both be set in the same time frame, just post-Bacco. Though I guess there could be flashbacks within that?

Inquiring minds want to know!

16. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always figured that if the Ascendant plot wold be done it would either be in flashback while moving the "present" plot forward or that it would be done Full Circle style with the first half of the book filling in the gaps and the second part progressing the "present" story.

17. langdonboom

While I would prefer a book written as if it was all taking place at the time it "should have", at this point I'll be happy for anything. I loved the whole founders-disappearing/wormhole-moving/Ascendants storyline and I basically only log into these message boards anymore to learn if anything about that is coming down the pike! So fingers crossed.

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The ending of Revelation and Dust strongly implied that time-travel or at least non-linearity are involved in the events of the Ascendants crisis, so having the story told in a follow-up to post-Bacco events isn't a problem. :) After all, when Kira returned she was confronted with what we're assured is the real, in-the-flesh original Taran'atar.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:bolian:This awesome news we're going to finally get a novel about the Ascendants storyline at long last. And it's interesting about Ben Sisko being told by Starfleet he can't explore the Gamma Quadrant. I can't wait to see how events will unfold in the upcoming books. Margaret Clark also mentions in the podcast Odo will be getting an interesting story arc in Sacrements of fire and the Ascendance novel. I'm so glad Odo will be in both books.

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Me too! I didn't realize how much I missed him from the station until reading Una's DS9: The Missing. More Odo is definitely a good thing :techman: