Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Re: Ghostbusters reboot: We're (almost, maybe, sorta) ready to believe

To be fair, that's only because the Internet didn't exist back then. If it did, many people would've been complaining about all sorts of pedestrian outrages.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Really couldn't care less about this. Wouldn't have felt much different if it was the original cast...

3. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Watch Steel Magnolias...

4. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_flick

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chick+flick

You have no idea! :lol:

All kidding aside, she's a great sport about it and we have it worked out pretty well. I give her space to watch her girlie shows on Lifetime and Hallmark Network and she gives me space to watch Star Trek.

[​IMG]

5. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Past history can be indicative of future performance.

Bridesmaids is likely the model because it was successful at the boxoffice and has some of the same talent, INCLUDING the director.

So clearly, the detractors are expecting Ghostbusters: Bridesmaids Style.

So if you didn't like Bridesmaids, and you're seeing that happen to Ghostbusters, that's why people are upset.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Trekker, help me out here. How do you make Ghostbusters with a female cast, announce the Actresses playing in it, and not announce you are doing it with a female cast? Announcing the cast, kinda lets the cat outta the bag, without even trying to make a big deal about it.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

But what does any of that have to do with my post, which was about all the imaginary things Trekker was projecting onto the director based on his own (irrational and over-the-top, IMO) concerns, versus the reality of what the director actually tweeted, which was just a picture of the four actresses?

Trekker is making a supposition that this is all about making Ghostbusters with women as if the whole concept begins and ends there, and there's no intention of telling a fully formed story or making a successful comedy beyond that one descriptor, which he terms a gimmick. Then he starts rambling about how things aren't being done with the best intentions, like there's some duplicitous plot going on behind the scenes.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is the rumor about this is being set prior to the 80s movie coming from? I like the idea.

Some people would have you think it was the way they go on about it. But they are the same ones who wouldn't get off their asses when a real crime is going on. Suffice to say I doubt we'll see them on the street fighting for women's rights. The real war is on the internet don't you know.

Now that is a crime. People who hate Star Trek have kept so many Trekkers in the closest. You're a brave man to come out as a Star Trek fan to her.

No, just Anti-good quality movies.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

"You know you guys, I'm not sexist, but-..."

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hmmm. I thought The Bridesmaids had more in common with the Hangover than something like Maid In Manhattan.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They were making a big deal out of a whole female cast BEFORE they started casting. They went into this project with that goal in mind and were patting themselves on the back for it.

It's different to go, "We're making a new Ghostbusters movie."
    :months later:
    "Well, we've got a cast of four female leads."

Than it is to go:
    "We're making a new Ghostbusters movie and we're going with an all female cast!"

I dunno, it just seems like two completely different approaches to making a movie. Saying a movie is going to be made and just ending up with a female cast is a bit different than going into a project announcing that is your very intent from the get-go.

And Locutus I was being a touch hyperbolic in my comments. The announcements made months ago have a very strong air of the movie producers thinking they were being awesome and this was going to be great and different because: female cast!

It strikes me as casting before writing which can't be a good way to make a movie because it means the script has to be written to fit the cast rather than the other way around.

I don't principally have a problem with an all female cast it's just that the approach the studio is taking doesn't strike me it's being for the sake of good faith or trying to produce a quality product. It seems more to be just trying to throw something out there without really caring.

Remember, this is Sony we're talking about here. Have they really done anything lately with a property as far as casting, scripting and such that shows they're not just throwing whatever on the wall to see what sticks? ASM-2 anyone?

They went with the easy route and cast Melissa McCarthy because she's "popular" right now.

It doesn't inspire much confidence.

Again, I've no problem with a female cast. And I'll give Sony an ounce of credit here for their casting choice being not just a cast of young, Hollywood-hot, women. A cast of beautiful, talented, ladies, for sure. But you know somewhere in their minds they were wanting to hire a cast of very young, very hot, women and dress them in spandex.

The route this project is taking just doesn't inspire me with confidence. It's early, I admit, so it could turn out to be very different. And if it pans out that way and I end up liking the movie and it turns out to be a huge success (Have they asked North Korea if it's okay to make this movie) I'll eat my words.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly.

Not sure about the rest of you, but the intial 24 hours of smart assed quips about the Ghostbusters being all women was amusing. But it faded quickly... now I'm finding all the 'clever' shit just irritating (cross the streams = syncing the periods, etc). Are we going to endure 17 straight months of this until release?

13. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of my closest friends are female, but still...

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

See, this is part of the goddamn problem. People are latching onto Bridesmaids as though that's the only thing Paul Feig has ever done. The guy created Freaks and Geeks, for heaven's sake, and directed some of the very best episodes of The Office and Arrested Development. I think at this point he's proven that he has legitimate comedy chops.

I'm personally open to the idea that Ghostbusters can be for McCarthy what 21 Jump Street was for Channing Tatum.

But all this nerd rage is just profoundly depressing. Ghostbusters is a feel-good, large scale comedy and this uproar about it -- whether it's because of those slutty dirty ruinous WOMEN or "my childhood" -- is baffling and point-missing.

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like the cast... The one token black person is just a gimmick!!! :p

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've read that many screenwriters write at least some characters with particular actors in mind, regardless of whether those actors will end up playing the parts. Seems like knowing the cast would generally be an advantage, but I'll defer to your knowledge of how to write screenplays.

In television, they have to do it the other way, though, because for a series that's underway, the main cast is generally known. Same with movie sequels. This can't be a good way to make STXIII. :(

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, why does that have to be something sinister? Why can't it be that they had a great story idea, that would distance them from the original (which was already the cream of the crop, and couldn't be topped by copying)?

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You don't understand, if they're gonna remake Ghostbusters it should be three white guys and one black guy with the exact same script and basically the only thing you're allowed to change is that it takes place during 2015 and they have to use the same car and the same proton packs and the same traps and the same costumes and Slimer needs to be there and Egon needs to talk about a Twinkie and and and...

*after the film*

I don't understand why they made that, it's basically the exact same as Ghostbusters 1. This is the worst movie ever.

19. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Got it in one. :techman:

If the all-female cast is a gimmick, it's a welcome one. I wouldn't be particularly interested in watching a bunch of guys try to reproduce the chemistry that the original cast achieved on their first outing (even those guys couldn't replicate the magic on their second) -- a female cast at least potentially means some fresh perspectives and fresh jokes. (I mean, just look at this thread! They've already delivered a ton of them just by being announced; the one about ladies not being suited for a "serious profession" like ghostbusting had me in stitches! :lol:)

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That could be very well the case. I just don't trust that it *is* the case.