GET SMART - Discussion and SPOILERS

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TGTheodore, Jun 17, 2008.

1. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Just saw the new GET SMART tonight.

I'm a nut about the old series, and I REALLY liked the update. I doubt anyone but Steve Carrell could have pulled it off. The rest of the cast really makes it work, too. Anne Hathaway, Alan Arkin, Dwayne Johnson, Terrence Stamp and some other familiar faces.

Enough quick references and mini-homages to the series, but it's its own movie, too.

Like the series, the plot really isn't that important. But there are some great laughs throughout the movie, physical and verbal.

A blockbuster? Nope. But a funny movie and a good way to spend a little time.

--Ted

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited about seeing it. I'll probably go within the next few days. I grew up watching the show on Nick at Nite, and I recently rewatched the first six or seven episodes. It's a really funny show. Please tell me the shoe phone is in the movie.

3. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved watching the show in syndication back in the early 1970's when it had gone off the air. My favorite intro was when he was driving a Karmann Ghia, but the homage to the Sunbeam Tiger is sah-WEET. Not sure if I will catch it in theaters or not.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I think the last time I saw Get Smart was some time around 1984/1985. So I can't really remember anything. But I will definitely check this one out.

5. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen Get Smart the series, but this movie has a few of my most watchable actors in it, including Dwayne Johnson who I think has a great screen presence.

Would this be funnier to a GS noob since all the jokes would be new?

6. TGTheodore

The movie stands on its own as a funny spy spoof, whether you know the series or not.

And its LIGHT YEARS beyond the big screen version with Don Adams The Nude Bomb (a.k.a. The Return of Maxwell Smart), which was actually pretty pathetic. I actually grabbed the old VHS of it a few weeks ago and just couldn't get through it again. It just doesn't work without the laugh track so entrenched in the TV series. (And it's just bad because they had to change so many things basic to the series)

There was one character loose-end involving 99 that made me wonder if there might have been another intended cameo being set up, but it never materialized. And the Sunbeam bit is VERY funny.

Again, not a milestone in cinematic history, but I smiled and laughed a lot and will probably go back one more time.

--Ted

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Nude Bomb was a decent James Bond spoof, but a poor Get Smart revival, because it abandoned everything from the series except Max and a minor recurring character (and even unconscionably claimed that 99 had divorced Max!). The later TV-movie reunion Get Smart Again was much more faithful and much better, bringing back all the surviving regular and recurring characters. A few years after that came a short-lived series revival on FOX, with Max now the Chief of CONTROL and his son (Andy Dick) as the new Agent 86. It wasn't very good; unlike the two movies, it had little involvement from any of the original show's creative braintrust.

8. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I own the entire run of the series and haven't rewatched it for a long time. But it's well-remembered (and "The Nude Bomb" and "Get Smart Again" never happened).

Looking forward to this movie. Anyone else besides me think that Alan Arkin as "The Chief" FINALLY is up to the level of humorous quality Edward Platt brought to the role?

9. John Picard

In a trailer, the Chief tells Johnson's character, "You can't staple sheets of paper to people's heads. That's CIA CRAP!" That busts me up every time I see it.

10. Christopher

What have you got against Get Smart, Again!? It was very good, a faithful and affectionate continuation. And it totally disregards The Nude Bomb.

(Just to be sure we're on the same page, GSA was the TV-movie revival co-written by Leonard B. Stern and directed by Gary Nelson, with Kenneth Mars as the Chief and John DeLancie as a heavy; the Andy Dick series revival was simply called Get Smart.)

11. John Picard

And the Andy Dick series SUCKED. Then again, it was quashed because of his cocaine problem.

12. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Well, Andy Dick also HATED being involved in it and wanted out under ANY circumstance so he could take the role he actually did okay in on "Talk Radio".

That version of the show had a few moments (I watched all the episodes), but honestly...it was doomed well before the first one aired.

13. Christopher

^^Yeah, but what did you have against the earlier TV movie?

14. TGTheodore

You won't be disappointed. Arkin delivers a line that got THE biggest laugh from the crowd.

--Ted

15. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I only saw it once and don't remember it as strongly as the original show, The Nude Bomb or the last/sequel series.

I think I may have been perturbed that neither Mel Brooks nor Buck Henry had great confidence in it at the time...which means something, since they are both considerable talents.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, for those who have seen it, do any of the original TV show's cast have cameos?

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

oh that series had to be brought up. I still remember the promos with Andy Dick and Don Adams saying "And loving it"

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to it. I don't really like Steve Carell but it looks good in the promos. A lot like the original actually.

19. TGTheodore

Let's say ... at least one. :)

--Ted

20. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Agreed. Also loved the cameos from original cast members. (See if you can spot them - one is obvious, one not)

Arkin is hilarious throughout the movie.

On a side note, I also found it fun to note that all three of the cars he drove in the original series were seen on the screen in the movie (Sunbeam Alpine, Karmann-Ghia, and an Opel)