Game of Thrones 4.10 - "The Children" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

75.5%
  2. Above average

15.1%
  3. Average

7.5%
  4. Below average

1.9%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I believe that GRRM has said that the ending will be 'bittersweet.'

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Let's just hope he has a better understanding of 'bittersweet' than Casey Hudson and Mac Walters do. :ouch:

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite right. In fact at this stage I couldn't care less about either since they have very little development going on with either. Lots more interesting stuff going on with characters.

I have read quotes by GRRM as envisaging the ending as a wasteland though.

I highly doubt we'll get the kind of resolution we'll expect because this show never does that.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Happy ending? What book/show series have you been watching again? I'm expecting an apocalypse.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Indeed. If the series (both, but especially the novels) ends short of everyone dead, I'll be surprised.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Given that the book series is (was?) going to conclude with an instalment called A Dream Of Spring, and that it would make sense for this series to end in a way that hinted towards the end of a medieval age and the beginning of an age of reason and enlightenment, I wouldn't rule out an upbeat ending. I think GRRM has one or two characters he'd like to see do well, too.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

What?

Where are you getting the move towards "an age of reason and enlightment" from that title, let alone the story progression? If anything, there'll be a new age of awakening magic and religious fervor now that both dragons and magic are coming to the forefront; something most people had assumed was nonsense up until recently.

9. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ The dynamics of ASoIAF are based loosely on those of actual medieval history, so it would make sense if at the end of it there was a hint of a more robust society and a civilising process. The White Walkers would be much less of a problem if the Seven Kingdoms learnt to cooperate, respect the rights and value of their people, and generally get their act together. They will probably end up getting hammered over the head with this.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

If GRRM says "bittersweet ending" then I take that to mean "most people will be dead, and the survivors will wish they were."

11. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the bulk of the story so far has been people ignoring the threat in the north, fighting amongst each other, betraying each other, and generally making terrible decisions, I've mused the end of the story is the White Walkers descending down through Westeros unopposed and the people of Essos wondering what the big smoking cloud is across the bay.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

LOL. This is pretty good:

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I thought his two words might be NIFFF NIFFF

14. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I can understand how this would be embrassing to be called out on your health in such a public way. But it wasn't his fans that told him to eat too much and not exercise.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014