Frakes in Hide and Q - believable performance?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai John

Ensign
I've always thought that Frakes' performance in this episode was a bit off-character. The usually dependendable Riker is really disrespectful to the bridge crew, particularly to Picard! I know Riker was supposed to be a bit blaze in the early next gen episodes, but it seems out of character to me, what do you guys think?

Hmm, i dunno. He changes from antsy back to good ol' dependable in an instant at the end of the episode again. I guess i can't blame Frakes though, he didn't write the lines

Jonathan Frakes did the best he could with the material. A goofy episode but entertaining.

"Worf, is THIS your idea of sex?!"

I've always thought that Frakes' performance in this episode was a bit off-character. The usually dependendable Riker is really disrespectful to the bridge crew, particularly to Picard! I know Riker was supposed to be a bit blaze in the early next gen episodes, but it seems out of character to me, what do you guys think?

It was the first season, Hide and Q was the tenth episode of the series so the characters probably weren't even fully fleshed or thought out yet. He's out of character for the Riker we'd know and love by the time the series ended but he's sort-of in step with the character he is int he first season. And, yeah, being made omnipotent will probably make someone with a large ego (like Riker has/had) a dick. Hell, Riker's behavior probably speaks volumes about him.

riker.JPG

I'm glad someone made the point. It was out of character but I think trekker4747 has got it right that no one really knew the characters at that time. I dont suppose he would have been as disrespectful had he served under Picard longer.

agree with other points made. First, he's SUPPOSED to be acting differently after being given the powers of the Q. Second, the writers and actors/actresses often didn't have a handle on the characters early on.(look how different early season 1 Data is from middle of the series Data)

Incidentally, I find this episode's resolution absurd. No human being would give up the powers of a God this easily.(indeed, I find it difficult to believe they'd give them up at all, much less within the short time period that this episode takes place in)

Incidentally, I find this episode's resolution absurd. No human being would give up the powers of a God this easily...

That was sort of the point, to show how "far" humanity had come and Riker was their "example" for humanity being incorruptable.

I dunno. For me the most inexplicable part of the show was this:

hideq_bigwes.jpg

I mean, Wesley Snipes would've been more believable as Old Wesley than that.

For comparison, here's what Old Wesley really looks like:

TrollECCC2008_WilWheaton.jpg

Just for fun, they should have had Richard Dreyfuss guest star as adult Wes. :D

Even Richard Dreyfuss is too butch to play an adult Wes. Shit, even Richard Simmons is too butch to play an adult Wes. ;)

I know. In the movie, I thought it was one of the most unconvincing examples of older version and younger version of a character casting. I'm simply saying it would have been cute to do a reference to "Stand By Me" like that on TNG.

This episode was very much in keeping with TOS. None of the characters acted like they did in later TNG. They were more mature, more independent, more unpredictable. Later-season Data would not have forcefully told Riker where to shove his offer to transform him into a real boy. Later-season Worf would have simply looked embarrassed about sex and the vicious creature within him would have been played for laughs (this early Worf, by the way, would have ripped Troi apart, had he ever let himself go for a minute). And later-season Riker would have put me to sleep.
And the themes, too - the brilliant chess game between Q and Picard for Riker's soul -- and that of humanity - was very TOS.
This episode was probably TNG's best moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back