Forgotten DS9 fan film: How You Live?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Does anyone here remember the DS9 adobe flash fan film How You Live?

It was a complete feature length production which was a sequel to What You Leave Behind with all the characters from the series. Made from The Fallen video game (similar to ‘Borg War’ which is still on YouTube, machinima I believe it’s called.), there was music but dialogue was subtitles you had to read on the screen.

is it still online anywhere please? I’d half forgotten about it! I can’t even pinpoint the website on the wayback machine but I guess I need a year

somebuddyX likes this.
  2. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

No but that sounds great. I was thinking earlier about someone turning the games with the TV shows actor's voices into films, and The Fallen came to mind after watching some game footage of Kira kicking ass on Youtube. I want the same thing for the Generations game, A Final Unity and I think the 25th Anniversary game.

Danlav05 likes this.
  3. Danlav05

There have been a few attempts to turn 90s games in to episodes and films - 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites has a lot of dialogue with the original cast, and TNG A Final Unity somebody wanted to turn into a full feature with recycled footage and new CGI but that stalled. https://dannylavery9.wordpress.com/2022/02/13/the-five-year-mission-not-as-over-as-we-thought/

The main issue with cutscenes is it's not a full story! They're between gameplay.

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must point out the similarity in name with both DS9's finale and this fan film to Picard's line in ST:GEN: "What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived." The title of DS9's series finale always made me think of that line, actually.

Kor

5. Danlav05

That's how the director got the title.

6. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I think the best way to do it would be to do full 3D animation overhaul with whatever free assets are available and just remake the rest. In regards to Final Unity Probably 99% of the stuff that comes from the TNG series I've seen exist as like Bridge Commander models, Poser/DAZ models, uniforms etc. It's all the stuff that's indigenous to the game that would be the "problem", only in as much as they'd just need to be built or designed. I'd follow what DarthAngelus is doing with his Heir to the Empire series using motion capture for character movements and then all the stuff that's in the game itself have it edited in away that best follows a narrative, even if it at times it's a bit clunky. What I mean is, like when Riker is talking to the Gatekeeper on Frigis you'd have to figure out best to use the dialogue from all possible iterations of that encounter to have it flow like a scene in an episode. In the space combat scenes you could have shots of inside the bridge of people reacting even if they don't say anything rather than just constant external shots of the ship. It might end up a bit weird narratively but I think it'd be fun for someone to try. JTVFX already remade the unique title sequence for the game. I would love to see the intro remade at least.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Danlav05 likes this.