Eccleston joins Big Finish (no, really)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brendan Moody, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished episode 2.

I'm on the second episode and I actually like that he jumped a bit around his own timeline. I like that he crossed his own timeline by mistake and caused the whole mess. Kind of like The 11th Doctor's first season.
    But I think this storyline feels like something that could have been in the 2005 season. Eccleston sounds fine to me. I think they got the dialogue of the character right.
    I wasn't expecting the episodes to be connected to each other but actually this enhances the story and makes it grander. It also makes it feel shorter in a way.

2. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    Boom Town may not be the best episode but this quote from it really hits. By the it happens again in Series three but in that episode the fact that there was a real little girl called Lucy Cartwright who had her whole life ahead of her until Daughter of Mine killed her is pretty much glossed over.

“You’ve been in that skin suit too long. You’ve forgotten. There used to be a real Margaret Blaine. You killed her and stripped her and used the skin. You’re pleading for mercy out of a dead woman’s lips.”

dupersuper likes this.
  3. Saul

Curious to know what everyone else thought of the audio adventure. I just finished it. On the making of/behind the scenes audio they mention that these audios are "the early days" of the 9th Doctor and when he meets Rose those are "the final days". I still think these early days can be squeezed into when he disappeared early on after meeting Rose.The audio adventures themselves don't make any mention of him being newly regenerated or any hints to that effect. I kinda felt the version we see in 'Rose' is darker and more troubled. Interested to see where the audios take him. I read there is a meeting with the Cybermen on the horizon. Anyway, really loved hearing Eccleston as the Doctor again.

4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole dinner scene was awesome.

5. Saul

I remember loving the episode but the reaction online (including Trek BBS) wasn't as positive.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There are several decades for the ninth Doctor before "Rose." There's no reason to do something convoluted and shove a ton of adventures into the "Did I mention it travels in time?" bit. It was awkward when a bunch of the eighth Doctor's adventures take place when Sam is at a concert or a Greenpeace rally in one of the early EDAs.

I like a lot of "Boom Town." The only part I really don't like is Mickey being a toxic douche because he wants a hook-up with Rose and she's not interested.

ATimson likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damnit, I still haven't gotten to the first volume. I only just finished the last of the Gallifrey: Time War series and I still need to listen to Susan's War and The End of the Beginning, and that's just the stuff I've already bought (also The Widow's Assassin but that one can wait).

9. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

The general reception I've seen is that the second volume is pretty much better across the board than the first, especially in regards to recapturing the feel of the first series and nailing the 9th Doctor's characterization.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

12. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

I really like that Cyberman design!

Jinn likes this.
  13. JaxsBrokenHeart

Good news/bad news situation as Eccleston has confirmed he's not interested in returning to the TV show any time soon, but will continue to do Big Finish going forward:

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The relationship with the BBC not having healed could be fixable. Doing the Big Finish stuff (and wanting to do more), doing conventions and reconnecting with the part are all big steps, especially considering his issues.

Presumably with the passage of time, several changes of showrunner, changes of controllers and department heads etc. the BBC responsible for his trauma will have ceased to be or be in the process of passing. He may well come to accept that and become persuadable.

I hope so, if only for once in the 60th anniversary show(s), but if not, ongoing Big Finishes make me happy.

TheAlmanac and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't blame him, especially considering that story he told there where he was falsely attributed to a made-up quote about him bring "tired"...by the BBC (I don't think I heard that particular story until now).

But I agree it's good news that he'll continue to do Big Finish stories, so hopefully he'll be a part of the 60th anniversary celebration there.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As the two most unrepresented Doctors on screen, I'd love 60th anniversary Eight and Nine miniseries with some intertwinedness leading up to the event.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  17. JaxsBrokenHeart

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, RTD returning has binned any remote chance of that...

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^Culshaw has been amazing in these audios, and i am quite sure he could do the entire lost Hartnell and Troughton episodes himself playing every part. :)