Down in the Dumps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Sep 10, 2013.

1. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

It is also scientifically proven that after a workout you get a happiness and confidence boost. Runners get a "runners high". I can tell you that the runners high thing is absolutely true. I love running, not just for the awesomeness of running in the woods, but after a good run I get hyper, happy, I concentrate better and I feel like I've done my body a favor. Just google the connection between working out and happiness. It's all about dem chemicals!

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the latter. ;) We're still under contract negotiations right now, and this has been dragging on since March. But even with the cost-of-living increase, the difference would be minimal.

Actually, I do have a cardio machine at home that I use for at least 45 minutes every day, and that also helps me stay in shape. What I also like to do is walk outdoors; one particular place I like to go to for a nice stroll is the Embarcadero in San Francisco. It's just a fun place to be, bustling with activity, and the weather's been nice enough that I don't have to put on a jacket.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's good. Just curious, have you stopped by and watched any of the America's Cup? It seems like that area has been busy lately with the races going on, yet it doesn't feel as popular as the city hoped. Also, you're right the weather has been terrific. Nice time to take a stroll through the city.

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I know my depression issues are partly hormonal, partly stress and partly life. I can't change a great deal and perhaps that's part of it as well.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I was adopted by aging parents, so I became familiar with death at an early age. I haven't had grandparents since the mid 70's. Most family trips I had as a child were to hospitals, nursing homes, funeral homes.

Seeing accidents, and other horrors, Alabama night tornadoes (I heard one pass near me at 4:00 AM early Jan 2012), my favorite AMT enterprise being destroyed by a cousin, etc.---all this made me live my life wincing, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It isn't fun.

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My only memory of my mom's mom was of the final hug she gave me. Due to a stroke, she couldn't speak. But I know she loved me.
    Believe it or not, one of the issues I had in therapy a few years back was that my coming to my family (I'm adopted) was the beginning of Grandma's end. She had been diagnosed right before my parents brought me home. So my first two years were her last. Not my fault of course... made me wonder if I was bad luck...

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Life can be full of tragedies, but we have different ways of coping, some better than others.

tomalak, I was at the Embarcadero in SF last Saturday and noticed a huge crowd of people who saw the America's Cup event that day, which had just wrapped up in the late afternoon. I don't really follow the competition. As I recall, there was a concert at one of the pavilions. I'm interested in the Exploratorium, which is now in a new location at one of the piers. I'd like to check it out sometime.