Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Wow. I was just about to ask for that second view, that we never got to see in the movies (because it wasn't real).

How does that roof line up with the exterior hull?

2. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Great work Donny! An almost Robert Wise inspired style on that first render.
    Say what you want, blurry has precedent in Trek! ;)

3. Robert Simmons

Robert Simmons Commander Red Shirt

Out There Joy Riding a console hopping galaxies

:):):)

4. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I have the depth of field post-process settings cranked up at the moment, explaining the blurriness. I may tone it down a bit later, but for now it gives a nice effect, especially when looking down to the bottom of the warp core.

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool!

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome work, the misty distance just adds to the depth and size of the set! Shame we can't see the nacelle conduits any more, maybe when they are lit they'll be more prominent?

I wonder, how closely (visually) does this full size render compare to the forced perspective model used in TMP? The reason I ask is that the placement of the round "doughnut" sections seem a very close match and I know that in the FP model they were virtually touching!

7. Donny

Oh, I simply haven't added the nacelle conduits yet!

I'm pleasantly surprised that I've managed to get the horizontal shaft area a pretty close match to the forced perspective set, visually.

8. Mytran

I must admit I was always a bit sceptical about some of those FP doughnuts, but I guess those guys really know their stuff!

The absence of the conduits does explain why they're hard to see I suppose :techman:

9. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Actually it's the opposite: the forced perspective (emphasis on "forced") is an good attempt to look like it's over 30m long, and what, in your virtual world, is really over 30m long.

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. Nice point.

11. starshipfan

starshipfan Ensign Red Shirt

Hi Donny, I almost missed this thread because is said "TOS" interiors, and I assumed it was another "original series" Enterprise thread. I've nothing against that (that's what I grew up with), but the TMP movie era (through ST VI) is what peaks my interest. I've got to say I've been following this with anticipation and awe ever since.

Anyway, I noticed in your horizontal intermix chamber that the starboard side is walled off, where the port side follows the hull contour (plus has the raised walkway you haven't added yet). I double checked on Trek Core, and you're absolutely right. Very nice work! The one thing that's always bothered me is the emergency bulkhead that lowers to isolate the HZ chamber. Since the bulkhead is obviously solid, I figure it's got to be lowering between two of those "constrictor pairs" rather than shattering one of the translucent tubes. I figure the "constrictors" have some mechanism to seal off the intermix tube and retract the coupling between the two so the bulkhead can lower.

That the long explanation, but here's why I bring it up. In your render, the two constrictors in a HZ pair seem too close together. They (theoretically) need to be spaced about the same as the prominent vertical constrictors to allow room for the bulkhead. Does that make sense?

I know it's a nit-pick and you may not agree with it, but I throw it out there anyway. Please keep up the wonderful work.

Lewis

12. Mytran

Looking at these two screencaps:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd0459.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd0463.jpg
    ...it is easy to see that the isolation door descends right on the line where the forced perspective part of the set begins. In the first pic the change in wall angle on the left (start of FP) is clear to see, and the gap in the walkway on the right is where the door will eventually slide down into.

Of course, since the isolation door probably only existed in the first place to mask off the FP section (which was very limiting in filming scenes!) this shouldn't come as a big surprise. The logistics behind how the isolation door was supposed to work (in universe) in the first place always baffled me as well ;)

13. Donny

It isn't evident in my pictures because of the perspective, but I've actually left about a foot of space between the two constrictors. I figure that was about the width of the isolation bulkhead. I'll double check my references when I get around the constructing the bulkhead itself and make any necessary adjustments.

Thanks for joining the discussion, Lewis!

14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

So just how far back is this space going to go, Donny? The FP set ended with a FP matte painting behind the nacelle conduits suggesting the compartment extended the full length of the secondary hull, though it just looks like empty space back there...

[​IMG]

15. Donny

This has yet to be decided. I will admit, I'm starting to reach the limits of detail before frame rate really starts suffering, and I sill have to build the TWOK computer consoles and the dilithium chamber. I may have to sacrifice this canon area beyond the horizontal intermix for the sake of performance for the final end-product.

16. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Really? That's surprising. Video games these days are able to present whole ultradetailed cities, and you've only rendered certain rooms of the Enterprise so far, not even remotely close to the whole thing. Is it a limitation of the Unreal 4 engine, or your graphics card? (No offense meant, I'm just curious.)

17. Donny

It's not Unreal 4, nor my graphics card. It's the amount of detail I'm packing into each model. Im being highly detailed with my models without using level-of-detail (LOD) variations, which I will have to start using in areas like this. Meaning far away, the models are less detailed but change to higher detailed models as you get closer, thus improving performance. For most areas, this isn't necessary as very little is being rendered at once. But for the case of engineering, which is 7 levels tall and a few hundred feet horizontally, it's draining on performance. It's my fault really, for not implementing LOD variations, but before now I haven't had to.

Soooooo....what I'm planning on doing is implementing some LOD to help some of the frame rate drops. Right now I'm getting an average of 40-45 fps, which is still decent...but my target it 60. Plus, like I said before, I still have to add the highly detailed TWOK computer consoles and the dilithium reactor.

And no offense taken at all!

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

You could always drop another isolation door there.

19. Mytran

Or put an actual FP painting on the wall! ;)

20. Jamee999

Jamee999 Commander Red Shirt

Holy smokes. This is all unbelievably good. It's genuinely difficult to tell the difference between the real sets and your versions for a lot of these. Amazing.