Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

I absolutely love the TWOK-style darker interior set lighting. It was a lot easier on the eyes than TMP.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I know it looks weird without the chairs, but here's the finished helm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Where's the override?? The OVERRIDE??" Wrong console, Khan.
    [​IMG]

Another instance where Phase II Enterprise schematics were used on the actual set:
    [​IMG]

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder where Sulu's big silver lever would have gone?

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

It was replaced by the panel that says 'Thruster Ignition' between TMP and TWOK. Same stick, it's just painted black and missing the top of the 'throttle.'

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! I love the glow on those buttons!

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Those little green thingies that circle the Big Round Thingie between where the chairs go.... they look to be just floating in space. Are they actually attached somehow?

--Alex

7. Donny

They are attached to a transparent dome, much like in the movies. It's hard to see, as I'm having trouble making it look as reflective as I'd like it to be.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

...Or you could say that they're suspended in an advanced multi-phasic tetryon field, emitting an induced flourogenic current, making the little bits light up. :D

9. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Outstanding!

10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Chairs Fantastic work by the way really enjoying this thread :drool::techman::drool::techman::)

11. Donny

I worked on the chairs today, which required me to bring the mesh into Mudbox (a digital sculpting program) so that I could model the folds of the fabric on the chairs. I'm not entirely satisfied with the results. It's my first day using the program, so I'm cutting myself some slack. Before the night is over, I wanted to bring the results into Unreal 4 so that I could see how they looked.

Also note that this is the captain's chair variant only so far (the rest of the chairs will eventually have a slightly smaller head-rest), and I have yet to complete the control panel details on the captain's chair arm-rest.
    [​IMG]

Although I'm not entirely satisfied with my sculpting work on the chair cushions, these temporary models certainly do pull things together:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Maybe it's the lighting, but the first render (of just the captain's chair) looks really plastic-y. The other renders look better, though. And it really does pull everything together. :techman:

13. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is amazing work. The lighting is very good. And the floor texture is just amazing.

14. 137th Gebirg

Honestly, I don't think you're too far off on the chairs (my favorite part of this bridge design, actually). I think if you got rid of the spline curve inside each gap and made it a hard angle, it will look more like quilted cushioning and get you closer to the look you're going for, I think.

It should be noted that these were actually seat covers that were put over the chairs that never really changed from TMP. They just did that to differentiate the two bridges (Enterprise and Reliant), the latter using the original TMP configuration seat without the cover. They did the same thing in TSFS when they put those similarly-designed and hideously pink covers over them for the Grissom (and cornflower blue on the E-A at the end of TVH). Point being, you're never going to make them look precisely correct, as you have the segmented bumpiness of the actual seat-back's of the chairs always influencing the way the covers lay on them. I applaud the high levels of accuracy and attention to detail in all this work, but you might consider an idealized "best guess" look for these chairs. Other than that, absolutely amazing work as always! :techman:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Great work Donny! Those seat covers are precisely why I went for the TMP version of the chairs in my model. The individual cushions were a lot more to model (especially since there are two distinct chair types) but I didn't want to take on anything as organic as that "scallop pattern" (as I've always called it), which you seem to have nearly mastered here. I might now just have a go at it someday (if I can ever finish my bridge). ;)

I realize you are referring to these as "temporary" chairs, but have you settled on that particular color? I don't know if it's your lighting setup or what, but they appear a little on the sky-blue side of things. I'm pretty certain they were an extremely light grey or just barely off-white (though certainly not on the beige/khaki side of things). Set lighting and post production film processing can affect a great many things, and there are many scenes where they actually look a hint of blue. Still, sometimes they appear orange-red, and there are certain TSFS shots where they practically look like a faded aqua-marine. That always was the magic of Star Trek (all incarnations) of course; Paint a wall grey or put in a translucent surface, then light it or apply color gels however you like, and voila! You have an entirely new space! :)

The Grissom seat covers were most likely the exact same seat covers from TWOK, dyed pink. I don't ever recall seeing those "scallop" covers again after TSFS, although the chairs themselves showed up well into TNG. And, whether it was a dye alteration or a complete reupholstering, the cushions for all the original configuration chairs were made a single darker color for the end scene of TVH (The two types had always been distinct colors in the earlier films). The chairs were now uniform in color for this newly overhauled and Okudafied bridge set. TNG was on it's way though, and things would never be the same again. :(

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I love those chairs! Always have done. They are such an iconic part of the TMP-TSFS bridge, which has always been my favourite design. I grew up loving the Star Trek film before I'd even seen TOS.

The verisimilitude you've captured is outstanding! I can't believe these are all gameplay renders; the third pic in your last post could be a screencap. Remarkable!

Interesting you mention Alien: Isolation. I haven't really played games for a few years, but have seen some really exciting stuff from that. It's really tempting me back, though I might have to buy a new computer first...

Keep up the good work, it's great that you enjoy doing it as much as we all enjoy seeing the results. You're a supremely talented guy.

17. Donny

The chairs most certainly appear a light blue in TWOK, and I don't think it's just the lighting:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd0272.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd0985.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twokhd/twokhd1042.jpg

Perhaps mine are a little too saturated, but it's definitley a light blue hue. Maybe I should move it a little into the green spectrum as well?

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Maybe it's the lighting, but in the middle screencap, it looks a bit more "seafoam green" than "light blue".

There have also been complaints about the Blu-ray transfer of TWOK, specifically that it was blue-shifted compared to the original film and previous DVD releases. In these shots, it's hard to tell what shade the chair is — it seems to be right on the line between light blue and light green:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch4/twok0218.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch15/twok1232.jpg

The chairs are definitely greener in TSFS, though whether that's a result of reupholstering yet again or the different lighting scheme on the bridge is anybody's guess.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0148.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. 137th Gebirg

Wow...never noticed that before. Who knew?

20. Donny

Wow. This is a very interesting point. I remember when seeing the TWOK bluray for the first time, I noticed the coloring was different. The uniforms seemed strangely more maroon than blood red. It really bothered me.

But now, after staring at Blu Ray screencaps for hours on end as reference, which are obviously on the more blue end of the spectrum, they seem more normal to me. Those DVD caps you link to above look WAY too red to me now.

For the moment, I'm going to stick with using the Blu Ray caps as color reference, since that's what I've been using so far.

Luckily, Unreal 4 has a post process filter that can allow me to shift the rendered scene into any color I want. I could even allow an option for the player to view the program in "DVD" or "HD" color. ;)