Dollhouse 2x2 "Instinct" tonight 10/2 Grade-Discuss **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Grade "Instinct" Dollhouse S2ep2

Poll closed Jan 10, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. AVERAGE

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. POOR

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

So they've only finished 7 of the 13 episodes?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Fox has another show called FRINGE which is the best possible pairing available on their schedule. I'd say its a perfect match. Its 2hrs I'd be in for every week.
    Fox also moved Fringe from its Tuesday slot last year into Thursday(vs CSI) and its ratings have taken a hit. Its as if Fox intentionally sabotoges shows of a sci-fi nature.

Fringe+Dollhouse is a winning pair, in that order...probably even on Friday.

Yes, episode 7 wrapped up or is wrapping today/tomorrow.
    They've been filming since mid-August so a break is due. If I read that filming on ep.8 starts I'll let you know but a break is normal at this point.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't care if the American accent is Alexis Denisof's real accent. It's still not right!

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they have Fringe following Bones on Thursday. :wtf:

I don't suppose anyone at Fox would think Bones and House would go together better, and Fringe with Dollhouse? Naaaah.

5. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I like Fringe following Bones, but only because I watch both shows. I agree that Fringe with Dollhouse would be a much more reasonable pairing.

6. Captain Craig

ParallelUniverse.com grades new/returning sci-fi/fantasy.
    Dollhouse gets a B-
    Fringe gets a D

I now these are purely subjective but thought I'd post it.
    Is a B- fair enough a grade based on the 2 aired episodes to date? I'd call it a B overall.

7. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

So i guess
    Summer Glau is out of work again.

8. Captain Craig

^^
    In all fairness she was only signed as a 2ep guest star.

9. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Get out of my head! :lol: That's exactly how I feel about the show. If it weren't for "Epitaph One," I probably wouldn't have bothered with this season. And judging by the writing on the wall, I will probably regret having stuck with it, because we'll never get back to "Epitaph One."

10. The Borgified Corpse

Agreed. I never wished that the show would be cancelled. (With few exceptions, I'm not that vindictive.) However, I've often felt that Dollhouse isn't really worth following. There were so many crap episodes in Season 1. But there were just a few absolute gems to keep me interested, like "A Spy in the House of Love," "Briar Rose," "Omega," and especially "Epitaph One."

I can understand FOX wanting to give a leg up to Fringe by pairing it up with one of their popular, established shows like Bones. But it really sucks that Dollhouse gets no lead-in at all really. Instead, they're just pairing it with reruns of Brothers & 'Till Death, neither of which I suspect have much crossover audience with Dollhouse.:( At least last year they could do all those sexy commecials pairing up Echo with Cameron from The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I'm really pissed off about this idea of not even letting the show finish off its 13 episode order for Season 2. The bastards did it to Tru Calling and now they may do it to Dollhouse. (Normally, I would commend anyone who had the opportunity to screw Eliza Dushku twice. Unfortunately, it means something less fun in this context.:()

FOX seems so interested in giving Eliza Dushku a series. Have they ever thought about picking up a Faith spin-off?

11. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

A Faith spin-off was considered but Dushku wasn't interested. Whedon wasn't too keen on it either, wanting to leave vamps behind for a while. Of course he's now writing vamp comics, so go figure.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Okay, I know I'm a week late to the party, but is anyone else wonderin' what Sierra was even doin' in this episode? Did Jack's dad also pay for Echo to have a best friend? And was Sierra given the same maternal instinct? She was in a house, away from the handlers, a vehicle, and a baby seat...

13. The Borgified Corpse

I think she was just part of the package to give Echo some emotional support, something which is often critical for new mothers.

One thing I wonder with Dollhouse on the chopping block. We all agree that Joss Whedon creates majorly brilliant series. I'm thinking that maybe his problem is that he newer shows have such complex premises that they're too difficult to market. Look at his greatest success-- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not only is the premise easy to describe ("Modern high school girl fights vampires,") but the premise is also in the title. It makes me think, perhaps Whedon's next TV project should be something in another established TV genre that he once again transforms from the inside out. Buffy proved that just because the premise is simple doesn't mean that the characters won't be compelling individuals or that the storyline won't twist itself into interesting directions.

14. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^Well, according to Joss himself, he'll concentrate on web-based programming after DH is over. He said that numerous times even before DH started, as far as I remember.

So I wouldn't expect any tv-shows from him in the future. Instead we're probably gonna see more stuff like Dr. Horrible.