Does anyone have experience in resin model kits (Oberth Class)?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by daedalus5, Oct 19, 2014.

1. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

I've long been a fan of the Oberth Class, so I bought the Warp model:

http://www.federationmodels.com/

I have sanded it down (took forever to do the bit in the long secondary hull where the warp engine pylons fit in!).

However, I would like some advice on painting and gluing it together.

My questions are:

1. I have used warm soapy water. Do I really need to wip it with acetone?

2. Do I need to use primer? If so, can I use the same acylic primer as normal plastic kits?

3. Can I use normal Tamiya spray paints?

4. Whats the best way to glue the 4 main parts together, i.e the saucer section, 2 warp drive pylons and secondary hull? I can see no easy way to clamp all 4 bits together. I am thinking of making some "chocks" up to balance it as best I can and to then hold in position with my hands for 15minutes. I sense great frustration will occur and it will all crumble away though. :(

5. What glue to use? Can I use this stuff: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-39604-Contacta-Professional-Glue/dp/B000KJPUL0

Thanks!

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I've only done a little bit of work with resin, so hopefully someone will chime in with more info, but in my small experience, you can paint it like any model, but I don't think that plastic cement you linked to will work. I imagine it's for bonding styrene? But I can't tell for certain. I've always just used conventional CA on resin and it's worked out fine.

--Alex

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

You need special glue. Here's an excerpt from my 1/2 studio scale build on the topic:
    As for painting, I've only ever run it under water to rinse off the separation residue. Never needed primer. Paints easily, in general.