Doctor Who books (fiction, nonfiction, nonfact)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Steve Roby, Feb 22, 2017.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I quite get the complaint about "no new authors." Each batch of the NSA releases usually includes one author who hasn't written a Doctor Who novel prior, so they are providing opportunities to new authors.

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s been rather a while since I bothered with Who books on the whole. I just found the criticism referred to as..intriguing.

I only ever bought the first three NSA and that’s because a friendly store offered them cheap as it was me.
    Apart from that I think I tried an audiobook of a Matt Smith one...didn’t like it....and have a Capaldi one on my mind,e didn’t get on with either. I did like the Day of the Doctor Target, and two of the fiftieth anniversary shorts I bothered reading.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Titan's The Thirteenth Doctor #10 is the second chapter of a four-part story with the Corsair.

I had a niggle with this story from the start, as I thought that a story in which the thirteenth Doctor meets another Time Lord, even one out of sequence (since we know the Corsair's fate), for the first time is the kind of story that belongs to the television series, not a tie-in. But it wasn't reserved for the television series, and here we are.

The issue was fun. There was flirting and there was drinking and there was running and there was talking. And there's a two page sequence in which the Doctor goes off for a think that's sad and ties this back to the events of "The Doctor's Wife." Ryan, Yaz, and Graham have nothing to do, but they don't really have a role here.

The Corsair's personality is a lot like Lord Flashheart or River Song -- bombastic, flirty, full of herself, the person you want by your side when the chips are down. In some ways, the story feels like a River Song story, with the Corsair in River's role -- the Corsair stole something, aliens are on the hunt, the Doctor gets mixed up in it and has to help the Corsair sort it out.

The relationship between the Doctor and the Corsair feels like one of old college friends -- the Corsair was the wild, irresponsible one; the Doctor, the sensible (by comparison!) one. But both see qualities in the other they wished they had, and they fall back into their old, familiar patterns easily.

Not earth-shattering, but enjoyable.

Skellington likes this.
  4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Are they new authors? Or people that haven’t written Who before? Because J K Rowling has t written Who before, but I would t call her new...

Just occurred to me really.

I know they pay very low for the tie ins, so that some published authors have turned them down on that basis.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That sounds like a lot of fun to read. I'll have to keep an eye out for it if it's released as a trade paperback.

6. Allyn Gibson

It will be. It'll be Volume 3 of the thirteenth Doctor series, due out around Christmas.

7. The Nth Doctor

Good to know! Hopefully I remember to look for it at that time.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Allyn Gibson

I believe so, yes.

What I'd like, as a fan of Titan's tenth Doctor comics, is a story that takes place after Year Three and tenth Doctor will be traveling with Cindy. But the reporting on this makes me think it's the story of when the Doctor and Martha were up to during the events of "Blink" that we only saw a brief glimpse of.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Allyn Gibson

I guess Chibnall is even less interested in having NSA tie-ins than Moffat was.

13. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have a list of the recent Target novelisation reprints from the last few years? Thanks

14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Mr Soak

Thanks for that.

EDIT - it doesn’t include the new series novelisations, which I was primarily interested in. But thanks for the list, anyway.

16. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There have only been four new series novelizations published so far: Rose by RTD, The Christmas Invasion by Jenny Colgan, Day of the Doctor by Moffat, and Twice Upon A Time by Paul Cornell. Then three more are due next year as mentioned upthread.

17. Mr Soak

Yes, I saw that elsewhere on that page you linked. I was going to edit my post again but I had to go out.

18. The Nth Doctor

Huh, I thought Moffat did a second one but I guess I was wrong.

19. Allyn Gibson

Out this Wednesday, Titan's Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor Season Two #1, the first part of the storyline with the tenth Doctor. I got an early copy at work on Friday.

The Doctor is trying to take Graham, Yaz, and Ryan to Woodstock, but the TARDIS has a mind of its own and deposits them in London during, for the tenth Doctor, the events of "Blink." He and Martha have been in 1969 for about a month, waiting for someone to arrive from the year 2007. In the meantime, Martha is working in a clothing shop while the Doctor builds a time detector. The thirteenth Doctor realizes where she and her team are, deduces the TARDIS brought them here for a reason, and investigate -- the thirteenth Doctor interacts with Martha while Graham, Yaz, and Ryan follow the tenth Doctor around. And then something happens in the shadows...

It's okay. It's all set-up for a four-part story, and it feels a little bit pointless. While it's always been an open question what the Doctor and Martha did in the past during "Blink," it's also a question that's never cried out for an answer, and the twenty pages here don't feel like they're adding anything significant to "Blink." On top of that, I doubt the Doctors will actually meet in this story; that's a story the television series should have first dibs on. It's nice enough -- the characterizations "sound" right, the artwork is fine -- but, as said, it seems pointless at the moment.

Turtletrekker and Lonemagpie like this.
  20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. Of all the NSAs I've read, they've mostly skewed way too young for me in terms of reading level, particularly during the Eccleston/Tennant era. They got better during Matt Smith's 2nd year but the quality went down again during his final year when Broadway Books starting putting out the new stuff. Still, I highly recommend "Dead of Winter" & "Borrowed Time."