Did the writers shy away from resolving anything?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tracy Trek, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I loved Voyager, this bothered me. For example, was there ever anything said about what the Maquis faced when they got back home?

Also (and this was deliberate on the writers part), Tom and his father. Anytime there was ever a chance for any interaction between them, nothing. Tom's letter in "Hunters" was conveniently lost.* He chose to give his comm. time to Harry in "Author, Author". But B'Elanna spoke to her father.

*There was speculation about this when "Hunters" first aired, on another message board I belonged to at the time. The theory was that B'Elanna "lost" it on purpose because it wasn't very nice. But this was before "Pathfinder" aired.

Actually I can see where he didn't really have time to say anything in "Pathfinder". And it really wasn't the time perhaps when Admiral Paris greeted them when they got back to the AQ. But he looked right at his son, and it seemed to me like Tom looked away. (overcome with emotion perhaps). Perhaps hearing his father's words in "Pathfinder" can be taken as somewhat of a resolution. But there would still be a lot they would have to work out.

Does anyone else have any examples of these instances where you feel there was a lack of resolution?

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not only does that stuff not bother me but I also wish they hadn't actually reached home at all. I'm happy to speculate on what may or may not have happened to the crew. We know that Kim ended up with a man called big Gary (everyone on this forum has agreed that's canon).

In truth, I wish Voyager had ended with the ship still in the delta quadrant, still a decade away from home and Janeway's final words being something like... "The journey home continues."

It would have allowed us to speculate on their journey even more and it would have given fan-fic writers a ton to play with.

I'm still convinced Admiral Janeway robbed us of some fantastic adventures. I bet the Fen-Domar were brilliant.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Besides the Maquis, what of the EMH? Does he enjoy fame as a published author? Are his self-written subroutines expanding his abilities examined for use in other programs? Or is he unceremoniously reprogrammed to join his cousins in the mines?

How long is Seven involuntarily detained for a debriefing by Starfleet Intelligence?

Does Janeway get her dog back, leave a bag of dog feces at Mark's front door, set it on fire, ring the doorbell and beam back to a shuttle?

4. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would have been better the way you said, with them still on the journey. But just getting home in the last episode, with nothing else addressed... seems like a bit of a cheat.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the paris thing, it did come to some connection He asked Janeway to tell him he was proud of his son. "He hears you Admiral!"

But I don't know how much of it was writers vs the evil bastards at the network. The writers wanted to pitch some good stuff and it was DENIED. Like a year of YOH. :D

But Voyager would have been on blu-ray had they actually followed through on their great starting character stories.

6. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but what did Harry do with his clarinet?:)

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

They never needed too, the reset button deleted everything at the end of the episode, giving them a clean slate from which to begin with the next one.

That would've been awesome. Fanfic episode 8.01: Chakotay and Kim both die in the first act, allowing Tuvok to become Janeway's new XO and introducing/bringing back officers for the vacant Ops and Security posts :bolian:

8. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

The whole thing with Admiral Paris and Tom not speaking in Pathfinder was military protocol. Lieutenants don't just speak to Admirals unless the Admiral speaks to him first...and that includes family members. Protocol would dictate that the Admiral would address the Commanding officer first which is this case was Captain Janeway.

I'm so spoiled by the relaunch novels that I can't entertain any other scenario of what happened to the crew after they got back but there is a small part of me that does like the idea of Voyager still being out there on their journey BUT at the same time still being able to communicate with Starfleet.

9. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He traded it in for a Sax because nobody wanted it at their wedding ever.

10. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I feel that Voyager shied away from having Janeway face the justice she deserved for murdering Tuvix: a court martial which would have found her guilty, stripped her of all her status as a Starfleet officer, and imprisoned her for life.

11. stardream

The episode Extreme Risk always felt unresolved to me. Its one of the few B'Elanna episodes I could almost like but something about it just feels...unfinished but the thing is I'm not sure what they could have added that would have made it feel more complete to me. Another scene with Janeway...or Tom or the Doctor? Smiling at the pancakes just didn't do it for me. It just wasn't enough.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If it had been Spock and McCoy fused together with the prospect of the viewers losing both characters and Kirk de-fused them, you wouldn't bat an eyelash.

As for the Maquis thing, the main Maquis were all slaughtered long before VOY returned home and in that time the VOY crew had saved the Galaxy from stuff a few times. Whatever they had on their records was sure to be cleansed.

13. stardream

I was never bothered all that much by the whole Tuvix thing (although I think I probably would have been tempted to have him knocked out and done it in his sleep or something)...but the whole Spock/McCoy thing does put it in a different light.

So Smock? S'Coy?

14. Amaraen

Amaraen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have felt the same way. That episode made me feel physically sick and seriously consider not watching another episode of Voyager. I have to pretend it never happened in order to enjoy the show at all. It is my main reason for viewing Captain Janeway as my most disliked character in all of Star Trek.

15. stardream

So in reference to previous posts you would have been ok if this had happened to Spock and McCoy for Kirk to not separate them?

16. Amaraen

If SpocCoy did not want to be separated and insisted on living, I would have felt the same way.

17. hux

She didn't murder Tuvix. Literally nothing that allowed him to exist was destroyed.

18. Amaraen

She certainly did. He was a new sentient being who pleaded for his life. I am glad that the Doctor at least would not participate.

19. hux

Nope.

He was two confused and scared conscious minds struggling to make sense of what was happening and expressing themselves through the spectrum of that fear.

Additionally, people always forget that at the last minute, Tuvix accepted his fate and ultimately acquiesced. No kicking, no screaming.

20. Amaraen

You could use that logic to justify any murder. A sentient being saying that it wishes to live, and then being put to death, is murder.

He wasn't going to fight, but that does not mean that he agreed with it. Just because the victim is a pacifist that doesn't mean that it's ok to murder them.