Did Tarantino and Mark L. Smith's script ever emerge?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by admiralking, Mar 19, 2023.

1. admiralking

admiralking Ensign Newbie

I'm curious about the shelved Tarantino Star Trek project;

JJ Abrams and Tarantino hired Revenant writer Mark L Smith to write a script using Tarantino's outline = did this ever see the light of day? Can fans access it since it's an abandoned project? Or is Paramount holding onto it in case Tarantino comes back on board or in case they can rework the script?

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Probably archived as many scripts often are.

3. AmandaSmith

AmandaSmith Lieutenant Red Shirt

Man, I love to read it.

4. admiralking

Yes I fear it's shelved and that we won't get to see the script until about 30 years down the line when probably Tarantino himself publishes it in a huge compilation of all his scripts he's done or something

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard two versions of the story:
    1. It's "A Piece of the Action" redone in Tarantino's style.
    2. It's Pulp Fiction in Space, with 3 intertwining stories following Chris Pine's Kirk, William Shatner's Kirk and Patrick Stewart's Picard.
    Of course, it's possible the story is a mix of both.

6. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

This I've heard of before.
    This I haven't heard of before.

publiusr likes this.
  7. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Option 2, is the one I am interested in, if this was the case. The 3 actors final appearances on film were not to my liking for their particular character, and I always wanted them to have 1 last harrah of glory just to cleanse the palette. I want these heroes to bow out on a high note and not on the crap seen from BEYOND, GENERATIONS, and NEMESIS.

8. admiralking

Never heard this particular merging of speculative news before regarding your second point. Can you remember the source/s?

from what I've gathered there have been two competing films over the past years =
    1. "Star Trek 4" which was proposed as early as when Beyond screened in cinemas; and would have had Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk interacting with Chris Pine's Kirk (so I assume some sort of time travel story again)
    2. "Tarantino's trek movie" proposal which would have probably merged elements of A Piece of the Action and Yesterday's Enterprise.

I'd really love to see the script just to see how Tarantino would have managed to mix the sci fi and lore of Roddenberry's and Abrams' Trek with the crew then being in a mob film style scenario. The tone seems bat sh*t crazy. Let alone the very PG tone of the Abrams movies then turning into r-rated violence (something that would have been fun to watch but I again I just can't see how he would have managed to find a balance in tone)

9. F. King Daniel

I wish I could, it was one of those clickbait nonsense sites the kind of which also talked about a Discovery/Kelvin crossover being in the works which later turned out to be true (although it went nowhere, and I wish I could find the source for that too but I know it was an interview with someone)

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I didn't think they actually made it to the script stage?

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  11. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think both rumours just sound like people making assumptions based off his previous movies.

I’m sure the reality is far less predictable.

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

According to this Variety article, which is probably as accurate as we'll get, it involved 1930s gangsters, time-travel and had a "Pulp Fiction" vibe.

https://variety.com/feature/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-explained-1235184059/

It sounds to me almost more like a variation on "City on the Edge of Forever" but with gangsters instead of social workers than a retelling of "Piece of the Action".

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

He needs to do a Terminator series…it fits his style of filmmaking better

14. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

That’s definitely the more interesting story.

That’s probably true. But the idea of Tarantino Trek is still interesting in theory.

publiusr likes this.
  15. God's Starship

God's Starship Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

16. F. King Daniel

Give him complete creative control. Watch the world burn.

And count the gratuitous shots of Uhura's feet.

God's Starship likes this.
  17. God's Starship

God's Starship Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  18. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

The one I want to read is Bob Orci's Star Trek 3 with Shatner

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I know this piece is just a few sentences of spitballing based on nothing concrete -- "it had been reported"; "It was all revealed" ; "as-of-yet unknown"; "peculiar development"; "abstractly mentions"; "Something tells me" -- and that it's now had a few months to age:

Back in November, It had been reported that Quentin Tarantino was working on an 8-episode limited series. It was all revealed on Tom Segura’s podcast. Tarantino’s series would premiere in early 2023. Plot details are as-of-yet unknown.

However, a peculiar development that we should pay our attention to. In his latest podcast, Segura abstractly mentions that there will soon be a Star Trek miniseries that will blow people away and has a big name director behind it.

Something tells me it could be Tarantino.

I suspect, though, that rating them 50/50 as a source may be giving them too much credit.

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd forgotten how well that parody was done. Great piece of writing & editing!

Ovation likes this.