CRACKED YouTube Channel talks about “The Game”

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Philip Guyott, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A popular YouTube channel called CRACKED has just released a video where they criticise the TNG episode “The Game.” :klingon:

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I like a lot of their videos. I'm going to have to check this out when I get home

3. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I hate videos like this (no offense to you for posting...) but they're AREN'T WE FUNNY! I'M FUNNY! I'M FUNNY! If I speak fast I'M FUNNY! I USED HYPERBOLE AND SAID ORGASM I'M FUNNY. And quite frankly about a TV episode from 1992 - that's more funny than the video. :)

The episode is just not as funny as they tried to make it out to be. In fact, as I walk around London I just think about this episode constantly with people on phones. Sit on a bus, look at everyone around you and think about this episode.

They could have turned this into a creepy episode about what's happened to us far easier than they could make it sound funny!

4. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I must say I always thought that in itself this was a weak episode of TNG. How could a highly trained Starfleet crew, of the flagship no less, presumably the elite of the elite, succumb so easily to such a ploy ? So I'd say this episode is an easy target for a review like this. (Then again, this ep is rarely unique in that aspect.)

However, as the above poster points out, in retrospect it seems somewhat prophetic after all ... I suppose I'll have to start paying some attention to whether I see any phone users force phones on non-users ;)

5. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it's a weak episode but isn't is possible that they played with the sexual connotations here when they filmed it - like the chocolate and the moaning? And they missed the worst aspect of that episode - those silly rules that were truly annoying.

And of course those two mature guys immediately assume the button is in the butt. HAHAHA anal humour.

At least they didn't call it "10 things you didn't know about..."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

I don't think those guys really know enough about TNG to be qualified to review the episode. Data's "off" switch, nurse Ogawa, and so on.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  7. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they want to throw out six videos a week (if I saw it correctly), they can't care too much about competence or research.

8. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Well the off switch thing did just prove they found the episode and talked about it rather than being Trek fans.

9. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is such a weird place to start, but "The Game" was the very first Star Trek I ever saw. I was 9 years old at the time. And I was amazed and hooked right away! But as a result, I am totally unable to see any flaws in it.

Also, about the 5th episode of Trek I ever saw was "Code Of Honor." It's amazing I kept going! Even then, I was like "this episode is pretty gross."

10. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Much like Homefront and Paradise Lost, it's interesting that this episdoe has become more relevant 20+ years later.

11. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Maybe not prophetic, but instructive. Lefler notes that the game "stimulat[es] the septal area", to which Crusher replies, "whatever this game does, it must feel pretty good." Link. Even back in 2000, researchers -- probably after years of study -- were drawing conclusions showing that video game use affects the brain in ways similar to narcotics and are both pleasurable and addictive. Link.

As a father of two toddlers, 3 and 2 years of age respectively, this is a topic of keen interest. I have no wish for them to grow up to be luddites -- especially in an increasingly technological society -- but at the same time, it's easy to see how their behaviors change even with minimal exposure to an iPad (regardless of how educational the application may be).

12. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems to me that Cracked has something against Star Trek :hugegrin:
    Here is an older video titled "Why The Star Trek Universe is Secretly Horrifying"