Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid Saga Continues

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Parallaxis

Parallaxis Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dragging it out like this kills the franchise potential. It just tires people out on the whole thing. If they just did a normal release then there might be enough desire and excitement left for some kind of new theatrical entry in the franchise. But by the time the last episode airs in 2025, everyone is just going to want this shit to be done with.

Farscape One likes this.
  2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we are forgetting the fact that this show was heavily impacted by the strikes and they probably had the choice to either release 5 episodes soon or release all 15 a lot later.

3. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, people will do that. Others will subscribe in July and let it run.
    Others could sub in July and then forget to cancel. And that’s a real thing and a not insignificant part of subscriber base.

There’s services now where they’ll find your subscriptions that you’ve taken out but don’t use and cancel them for you.

I don’t quite get it myself. I’m aware of all my subscriptions, and I also nag myself to review and cancel a couple of them but I also sometimes forget to do that.

It feels cynical but it’s part of a subscription based model and it will be tracked and taken into account.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The series is done after this season, and then they have a new movie to launch into involving both Ralph Macchio and Jackie Chan, so the franchise will be fine. If anything, having a break like this likely gives the movie more time to be produced following the exit on Cobra Kai.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet it is Johnny Lawrence I think most people would rather see in a Karate Kid movie or show at this point. He is basically the star and even heart and soul of Cobra Kai and I would say the main reason the show became so popular. He is who they should be teaming up with Jackie Chan.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i wonder if they decided to rework the show and movie to connect the 2? That might be why they split it up? Part 1 setting up the international contest? Part 2 ending all the loose threads? Part 3 setting up the movie?

8. Owain Taggart

I could see them both being in it at this point. He's had a turnaround in his character. Originally he was an antagonist, and now he's an ally working with Daniel.

Right, and all the more reason for a gap. By the time Cobra Kai is wrapping up, the movie will likely be ready for release.

They probably knew a new movie was in the works while prepping for Season 6, and while the production teams are from different studios, it's been said that the series team is helping out where they can with the movie to assure a smooth transition. That tells me they they don't want to contradict anything with the series via the movie and vice versa.

Booji likes this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope so. I would hate for them to pretend the show never existed. The show is to good to just discard and pretend it never happened. That's going for anyone out their reading this who might make another Stargate movie and show as well.:)

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  10. Owain Taggart

Yeah, agreed. It's carved out a history of its own in the franchise, and it would be a mistake to pretend it never happened. It's got the history of the previous movies on its side. And from the sounds of things, it's looking like the two teams don't want to step on any toes.

My best guess would be that the series concludes and leaves a few threads open for the movie to pick up on, with the movie taking place right after the series ends. They've already delayed the movie to 2025 to accommodate Cobra Kai's end. That suggests something big that will affect what happens in the movie.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If the movie were to ignore the show, my prediction is that the show will ultimately be considered the real heir to the original movies rather than it being ignored in favor of a crossover sequel that likely only exists thanks to the good will generated by Cobra Kai.