Biggest Film Flops

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the_wildcard, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    Case in point: The Avengers. Man, wotta crap sandwich!

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    What about Kill Bill. It did well as I recall. She wore that yellow one piece racing body suit get up.

3. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Lists like this are attention grabbing blurbs (to put it simply, BULLSHIT). They aren't about being comprehensive or even accurate. Cutthroat Island is off the public recognition chart now, thanks to Gina Davis' being a has-been. Hudson Hawk remains because Bruce Willis still has some film life left in him. (Note the list is devoid of any of Stallone's stinkers.)

DUNE gets picked on because mainstream douchebags who write articles like to target genre pictures. Which is why Burton's Planet of the Apes made the list, too. It's sci-fi and recent in public memory.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So my upcoming project Catsuit: The Movie, I shouldn't ask Uma Thurman to star?

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I have to speak up for Dune too. They did the best job they could squeezing a dictionary-sized novel, describing a complex universe, into a movie

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although the net content of the book is much smaller since Frank Herbert tends to describe every freakinĀ“ grain of sand in that desert separately and the story often seems like an afterthought.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    And yet, it's so entertaining for other reasons.:drool:

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hell, I bought the book rights! And sold them to Germany and Japan . . . .

9. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

No Santa Claus: The Movie?

Although I have to admit, shouting abuse at it every Xmas is kind of fun...

10. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

who was in SAnta claus?

11. The Borgified Corpse

^Dudley Moore played an ambitious, toy-making genius elf. John Lithgow was an even toy company CEO. I don't recall who played Santa himself. And I think the movie holds the record for most rediculously blatant McDonalds tie-in ever.

12. SomniumRabidum

SomniumRabidum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Alexander was a giant flop. I was hugely disappointed in that movie, I had pretty high hopes for it.

Waterworld wasn't THAT bad imo.... it certainly wasn't good, but I don't consider it one of the worst movies ever like so many others do.

The Postman was actually pretty decent imo. I'm sure I feel that way more as a result of my post-apocalyptic fiction fascination than quality movie making, but still...

13. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

Seen Dune. Never really did understand the story. I think that was the problem, no one really knew what the f**k that story was about. Something about taking place 10,000 years from now, the House of Atrades, "beautiful actors", a Jabba the Hut type critter and something about a spice that can bend space when snorted. With Sting and Patrick Stewart!

Battlefield Earth was so bad it was good, basically an Ed Wood picture with a big budget. Made Scientology look like garbage and John Travolta look like a fool. John Travolta is one of the luckiest people on the Planet, someone with no acting skills, with a 39 IQ making money making crap films and making gazillions of dollars doing it. Then he gives a lot of it away to the Scientologists, who in my book are just ahead of NAMBLA, but less honorable than the KKK.

Saw the 2001 Planet of the Apes version and it was really, really bad. Actually most anything Tim Burton touches turns to crap. Mr. Burton is lucky that he can sell crap and still have the high paying job he has. O.K., I liked 'Big Fish', but have thought how much better it could of been under a different director.

I am a big fan of the original franchise and wanted to see a film that updated the original story, but better. Burton basically ruined the revival of the Apes franchise, although I have heard another movie is in the works under a different director which will be more faithful to the original story.

Saw Waterworld once. Sort of Mad Max crossed with Gilligan's Island. However "The Postman" was really a Costner crap fest. The one that blew the most chunks out of the airhole. i think Kevin Costner just picks bad roles, but people still like him because he is still working and making more money than 99.999999% of us.

Never saw Pluto Nash because I have read and heard that it was so bad that even Eddie Murphy disavowed it. You know your movie really is pure, green, smelly, puke trash when your own star hates it. Eddie Murphy really has not been relevant since the 1980's. It's just that he made so much money in the 80's that he is still riding a crested wave. He needs to quit doing those crappy movies (Daddy Day Care, Dr. Doolittle? Barf.) and get back on stage. I mean, most of Richard Pryor's movies sucked too. Harlem Nights sucked with Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and....REDD FOXX. Hell, I could of wrote a better screenplay. The script could of been sent to that homeless, recovering crack addict guy who developed "Good Times".

Never saw Hudson Hawk for the same reason. That movie almost cost Bruce Willis his film career. Didn't though. He lost his hair. Lost his wife to a teen idol with a big member. Was left by 20 year old junky girlfriend for lesbian relationship. Is a Republican!

One movie not listed was Heaven's Gate, a movie directed by a guy named Michael Cimo. The first cut of the movie was over 5 hours long. That was supposed to be the biggest turkey of all times.

Lastly, since this is a Star Trek board, I nominate Star Trek V: Shatner wastes our Time, and Nemesis: Patrick Stewart's Cosmic Embarrassment. Nemesis was so bad that even Mirina Sirtis naked, oiled and on all fours could not have saved this one. Bad. Bad.

14. The Borgified Corpse

It was probably still better than The Bonfire of the Vanities. But, IMO, Willis' career is unsinkable because of 2 words-- Die Hard. No matter how bad his movies get, he's always worth giving another chance because somewhere in the world, someone is watching Die Hard right now and recognizing its unquestionable awesomeness! Plus, he seems smart enough to not totally embarass himself in his personal life (like Tom Cruise & Mel Gibson have).

15. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    David Huddleston, a good character actor, usually stuck with those corrupt-Southern-sheriff roles but occasionally gets a real character. Such was not the case with this movie, however.

16. Captain Craig

Agreed.
    While I liked Postman more niether are Cutthroat Island bad. They are not Pluto Nash or Meet Dave horrible. All three honest to god bad movies that never made any money after years on DVD.

Waterworld for all the talk of budget still made money in the first year following its home video sales. Too much press was fixated on its budget, which granted was justifiable at the time, which then was the largest ever pre-Titanic(which cost more). However, any layman can look at these numbers and know the film wasn't a FLOP.

Budget: $175m
    WW total: $264.2m

Once VHS and the then young DVD sales were added this movie made money.

17. The Borgified Corpse

Ah yes. Also known as the other Mr. Lebowski in The Big Lebowski.

18. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you can put ST Nemesis, X-files 2, Catwoman, Superman Returns, Dragonball and Watchmen in the flop category

19. Captain Craig

No Superman Returns(as much as I dislike it at large) and Watchmen both fall into a slightly better classification of Dissapointment.

20. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I've seen Wild Wild West, Planet of the Apes, and Waterworld. I've also seen parts of Dune, couldn't stand it. I love the books and the minis, but eeek.