Battlestar Galactica getting rebooted (again) for NBS's streaming service

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StCoop, Sep 17, 2019.

1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

^This. That's kinda my point from earlier.

While "The Suits" (TM pending) often just do whatever they want, if they have a clue, this is the path they should take. If you really play your cards right, you can use the props/costumes/sets etc. from the more expensive movie to reduce production costs for a TV/Streaming series.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I also much prefer the original over RDM’s version, but I do enjoy the latter for its own strengths as well. I just wish some of the early ideas they hinted at the beginning of NuBSG wound up being more fleshed out for a more cohesive plan that didn’t amount to simply “throwing some random shit against the wall to see what stuck”. Oh, well... That’s all water under a distant bridge now.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it is just logic based on numbers.

You will have a small camp that will like the TV show version, one will like the movie more, and even fewer will will easily consumer both.

Unlike sports, which has a huge base to potentially reach, the BSG fan base is much smaller.

Having even a small connection can drive many fans to absorb the different medium

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is The Dark Tower which I believe still has a series being developed. I think they were meant to be going with on at the same time though the movie wasn’t successful enough to have sequels in development. I’m sure there is some “ka is a wheel” handwave to say they’re connected but from what I understand they’re fairly independent.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You want to know a tiny group?

"Adults" who enjoy sports without drinking or gambling.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the TV series that was in development at the same time as the movie was supposed to be a prequel to the movie?

7. Continuous Cosmos

Continuous Cosmos Lieutenant Red Shirt

Would rather a Blood & Chrome themed prequel tv series based on the cylon wars. We'd become better acquainted with the twelve colonies. Together with young Adama, Tigh, etc.'s exploits in the cylon wars. Hopefully this emerges instead of yet another reboot/reimagining of BSG arising.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Except didn't they already establish that Adama only entered the war in the final days of it? I know B&C ignored that, but then a lot of people ignored B&C, so...

;)

Guy Gardener likes this.
  9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Not quite. The deleted scenes/webisodes for “Razor” said his first mission was what turned out to be the last battle in the war, but those scenes were deleted, and contradicted a bunch of earlier and later stuff in the show where Adama was in the shit for more than one day (his bio in “Hero” said he fought for two years, he describes several different missions he was on at different times).

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tigh never actually fought in the Cylon War, as he and the other Final Five didn't arrive at the Colonies until after the War ended.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ah. I always watch the extended cuts of all the episodes where available when I rewatch. :)

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The part about it being Adama's first mission was just in the webisodes, everything before the space battle with his girlfriend and her getting injured was cut out of even the extended version.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Huh. Memory's a funny old thing. Thanks for the correction.

David cgc likes this.
  14. Continuous Cosmos

Continuous Cosmos Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well stand corrected and that's that. Though a series of this sort could illustrate those prior unheralded heroes of the war. Together with Adama's exploits during the last two years of such.

As said before lots of exposition about the BSG universe at that time, as in the twelve colonies etc. would arise in this sense. Whilst making for a terrific tv show as in both a prequel and continuation of the said tv movie.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, with it having been fifteen years since BSG ended and twelve since Blood and Chrome, I don't see any new additions to that facet of the franchise in the near future or ever really. Anything new done with BSG will likely be a reboot of some sort.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Is there any current word on this show?

17. 137th Gebirg

Every so once in a while, someone in Hollyweird gets a wild hair up their ass, rediscovers the property, announces they're going to do something with it and then it disappears. Rinse and repeat. Bryan Singer was particularly prolific in this pattern and I thank the Grand Architect of the Universe that he lost interest, as I think he would have made a shit-show of it after (I think) the third misfire.

The last several iterations of this endless cycle, to my recollection, started not long after Glen Larson died in 2014, and his estate settled the theatrical rights to Universal in 2015 (who already owned the TV series rights). Here are the attempts I could find. Note that there have been far too many for me to quantify in total since the single-season Galactica 1980 cancellation, including the many Hatch and Singer/DeSanto efforts, so I'll just be doing the most recent ones, post-Larson:
    Looks like after 2020, all efforts (if it can be called that) ceased. Probably another needless casualty of COVIDiocy.

Markonian, BillJ and Skipper like this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to google it, but wasn't his project at an advanced stage? Hadn't they started building the sets, then the 9/11 happened?

BillJ likes this.
  19. 137th Gebirg

Yes - correct! That was his first outing with the project with DeSanto. Aside from RDM's version, that one had the best chance of getting off the ground. As you say, props and sets were built and the whole thing was scuttled post-9/11. DeSanto had a grounding effect for Singer who, to my recollection, was quite flighty and difficult to focus on what needed to be done. After the 9/11 event cooled, I believe Singer tried about three more times (without DeSanto) to get it going, but at the start of it by then, Universal executives were starting to cool on the "continuation" notion that Singer was pushing, and was already looking at RDM's reboot for a 2003 release.

Additionally, every time it looked like Singer might get some traction, before, during, and after RDM's version, something else caught his attention and he went off elsewhere. I believe this happened with X-Men 2 (2003), Superman Returns (2006) and an unaired "Munsters" TV movie called "Mockingbird Lane" (2012). As I'm sure everyone can tell by this point, I have been following the path of this incessant drama for a very long time with great frustration, as far back as Richard Hatch's 90's fan film continuation pilot attempt starring most of the original surviving cast. Most of them are gone now.

There may have been one or two others between Singer's final 2012 attempt and the post-Larson 2016 De Luca announcement but, needless to say, this particular franchise property has been Lucy with the football and the fandom has been Charlie Brown. :mad:

The rest is history as we know it. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Skipper likes this.
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the thought that every iteration of BSG that has ever existed, or ever will exist, takes place in the same universe.

Takes the "all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again" to a whole new level.

Markonian and Praetor like this.