Battlestar Galactica getting rebooted (again) for NBS's streaming service

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StCoop, Sep 17, 2019.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I read this over at Deadline Hollywood too. Seems all the new steaming services are mining the shit out of their existing IP. While I don't mind the notion of a reboot , I agree it's a bit too soon. Also add to the fact that Peacock will also have all of Moore's NuBSG available to stream on day one of launch.

So what will this one be called? NuNuBSG?

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I seem to recall a lot of "Why?" when BSG first got rebooted. That said, this does seem too soon. But y'know, whatever keeps the franchise alive, I guess?

DeathSun7 likes this.
  4. StCoop

But hey, new 'Saved By The Bell' and 'Punky Brewster' as well, so that's ,uh, good, I suppose.

It truly is the Golden Age of television.

Seven of Five likes this.
  5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This is only going to be worth it if it gets "spiritually" tied to the RDM/ Eick series; otherwise, what's the point?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

So, who is going to play Starbuck?

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got my enjoyment from nuBSG when it was on but its story finished well enough and it was obvious at the end that the "plan" was just pulled out of their ass as the show went along. Personally, I would just reimagine it again taking from all of the various source material as they see fit but not beholden to any of it. I guess one can argue if it's time for such a thing but I mean the Spider-Man movies were rebooted three times in the window since nuBSG.

As for what to call it, if they can fast track it, we had Galactica 80 so let's go Galactica 20.

Imaus, Brolan and Gary Mitchell like this.
  8. DigificWriter

Current pop culture has been trending less towards reboots or remakes and more towards revivals/sequels, and the RDM/Eick BSG ended with enough foundational setup that it's almost begging for a new series to be subtly linked to it.

DEWLine likes this.
  9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

All of this has happened before...

10. StCoop

I will say this in support of it.

While 'Mr Robot' is one of those series I've never watched due to a finite amount of free time and too much to fill it, by all accounts Sam Esmail sounds like someone who will at least try to do something interesting with it.

11. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

I’d just like them to finish the nBSG story as hard science fiction. We know the Colonials didn’t give us suits and ties, so they must have originated from us, not the other way around. We can extrapolate where humanity is headed, so how does it end up on Kobol? Who are the Lords of Kobol and how can their… cosplay? control a future society? Who are the Colonials for that matter? What is the controlling deus-ex-machina entity? And all that in a framework with no aliens?

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Maybe they intend to do something that’s the spiritual antithesis of Ron Moore’s BSG and depict a society that isn’t quite so in love with the idea of its own extinction. At any rate, I guess they’ll be setting their sights high if they’re inviting comparison with fine storytellers of various disciplines who were by and large each at the top of their game.

13. DigificWriter

If they want to call this a reboot, they can basically restart the story and then later reveal that it actually has links to the RDM/Eick series, which would fit the current pop culture trend of revivals/sequels while also giving new viewers an 'in'.

14. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Sam Esmail got on Twitter and clarified:

Captain Craig, Markonian and DEWLine like this.
  15. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I hope this guy has a good series bible written.. or A PLAN! I liked the..old? series just fine, but even I a Hard core sci fi eficiando gave up on it.. ( I did binge it a few years latter) because.. it.. I like Ron Moore, but he didn't have the series mapped out.. there was no plan for the series, it felt like they were throwing darts at a wall after the 2nd season.. and the Final 5? 7? ( I don't know..) was just ugh..

So it is happening.. just wonder how there going to "Modernize" it?? I mean.. it was dark and dystopian as hell last time.. and that hasn't really changed in our collective digess.. Still at war, still terrorists etc... most young people don't think the planet will last another 12 years with Climate Chaos and nuclear armegeddon..

137th Gebirg likes this.
  16. DigificWriter

If it's not going to be a reboot/remake, I hope it ends up subtly linking itself to the RDM/Eick series because of how the latter ended.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The whole concept of BSG was pretty dark, even in the original. Nothing much darker than a robot-led genocide of an entire living race. The only thing that fundamentally changed was, who made the robots. I am going to take this announcement with a grain of salt for now. I hope it pulls in aspects of both prior series, while keeping its own voice. Reboots of this property have been attempted and spoken of nearly every 3 years or so for the past two decades, either in television or theatrical formats, and only RDM's version made it. I'll believe it when I start seeing the first 1:1 scale Viper mockup being built, but even that didn't save DeSanto's version from 9/11. Hopefully no Singer involvement. He's toxic now and his existence related to the franchise would almost be the kiss of death. We shall see...

18. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh. Mr Robot was only good for the first season and then quickly dissipated into its own butt. Of course, it occurs to me that the same criticism has been leveled against RDM's BSG but those critics are stupid, and wrong.

In any event, I'll watch out of morbid curiosity which is how the remake got me hooked.

Cripes, all of this really has happened before and it's gonna happen again. So say we all?

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was just about to comment that there seems to have been a movie version of BSG announced periodically ever since Moore's show ended. As for this news, my attitude at the moment is meh. A TV show is at least more promising an avenue for BSG's story than a movie would have been, but at a decade after Moore's show ended is definitely too soon.
    That was literally never the point of it.
    Baltar's presidency will very obviously be a Trump allegory.

20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

We're in an age of 3 big screen Spider-Men within a 10 year span so nothing is too soon anymore... ;)

The premise of the show is fairly simple and straightforward and how they build on it can produce drastically different results, as we've seen in the original show and the first reboot, so I don't doubt this reboot can find a way to be different an interesting. Whether they succeed or not, only time will tell.

Markonian, Qonundrum and Ovation like this.